586,113 active members*
3,573 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Repair Machine or Replace it?

Repair Machine or Replace it?

I've got a bit of a problem, I don't know whether to repair or replace one of my CNC lathes.

Background: I run an Optoform Diamond Turning lathe, it's old, but it works fine. I also have sat behind me a big lump called a "Pneumo Precision, Ultra Precision 2000" lathe. This has never in my time here been powered up or anything. To let you get a feel how old it is- the exec prog is loaded from 1" tape. Yes TAPE, with holes in it, the size of program is measured in FEET of tape (I kid you not). The controller is an Allen Bradley Series 8200.

My problem is we're getting too much work in. So I either need to get this beast up and running or buy another Optoform. So I called Taylor Hobson who I know do a blinking good job (dealt with them in the past), but they want like £1200 just to come an look at the lump.

Does anyone know anyone else that services these things?

Is it even worthwhile trying to resurect it or should I just bite the bullet and call the scrap guys? Mind you, that's gonna cost me a packet- the bugger is taller than me and must weigh about 10 tons.

How the hell do I actualy get code from my PC into the thing anyway? the service guys said I can't use the RS232 thing- it's too old. It's got a "CNC Minifile" which uses *cringe* 5" floppies (yes, those old ones that actualy were floppy).

I'm in retro hell lol.

Anyway, does anyone know how much I'm looking at to get the blighter up and running?

Jeezz the keyboard is even alphanumeric, like ABCDE not QWERTY.

I swear it's sniggering at me. Robbie the Robot was more advanced than this thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ABControl.JPG  
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Sod it.

Having done a cost analysis, I'm going to buy another Optoform and junk the lump.

Anyone know anyone who's got a second hand one for sale?

Preferably Optoform 50, but 40 or 80 will do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    .... bite the bullet and call the scrap guys? Mind you, that's gonna cost me a packet- the bugger is taller than me and must weigh about 10 tons......
    One thing for sure you will not get the same scrap value for the iron in it now compared with a year ago.

I junked a couple of big turret lathes and one scrap guy came with a little truck he used for picking up scrap car bodies. He drove away with the frame almost scraping the road; turret lathes are heavier than cars. Another time we got rid of a big old electric forklift. The guy winched it up onto a flatdeck trailer whereupon it promptly broke through the deck.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

whereupon it promptly broke through the deck
    Ouch! I would have paid to see that

There's only one way to transport a forklift... use another forklift! (don't try this at home).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SAFETY2.JPG