586,070 active members*
3,518 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newb, how to flip part

Hi,
    How do you flip a part to mill both sides. How do you get it to line up perfectly with a clamp?

To flip a part, and listen closely, because this is very very tricky.

I pick it up...... Then flip it over..... Its is a very very difficult procedure that should only be performed by those that have been trained in the difficult art of patting your head and rubbing your belly. People that occasionally fart in their sleep are also able to perform this very difficult task, but only with proper training.

To the second part of your question. There are a million ways to do it, and very accurately. Put up some more info of what you are trying to do, I'm not quite clear exactly what you are trying to do.

Don't take little bubba too seriously.

But do provide a bit more information, a picture would be helpful.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Say you have a vase, mill half of it, then you have to flip it to the other side to mill the other side. How do get it to line up perfectly?

Ilya

Quote Originally Posted by idkman View Post
    Say you have a vase, mill half of it, then you have to flip it to the other side to mill the other side. How do get it to line up perfectly?

Ilya
    Still more info needed, but since I was being a wise ass just because I could...

Now was vase (vaaaaz) a misspelling or did you mean vise. No matter what, it all boils down to reliable datums. You need to locate on SOMETHING when you flip. It could be two accurate edges, if its something wonky, it could be the whole profile milled into soft jaws. It could be a counterbore, a hole, a sacrificial hole that is going to be removed later, two edges that are going to be removed later (extra features for manufacturing are allowed, in process). It needs to be more accurate than what you are trying to do. If you are locating on a counterbore for a socket head cap screw with a ± .030 tolerance, you might have to hold it to .001 total to be able to use it to locate on.

Again, a million ways to do it.

A fixture or a jig might help as I understand it. There is a link here started by speedcustom I believe. Lots of info. I am still learning about this flipping thing .

use and edgefinder and locate two edges for your work zero, or use an indicator and use the center of the hole for the known reference point. I do it all the time. Oh, and I usually do the first operation in a milling vice that is indicated straight and square, then the vice holds to part straight and square when you flip it, you just need to locate the edges or a hole center for your reference coordinates or work zero.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HF to EVO.jpg   HF to EVO2.jpg