586,307 active members*
3,224 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas VF-2YT or Hurco VMX30

I know this has been discussed at length in other forums and i've read them all. Every situation is unique which is why i ask the same question again.

Haas or Hurco?:

1- Lab and R&D environment, not production so speed is not a major issue
    2- Materials are: composites, al, steel, titianium even stainless at times, but mostly composites (carbon fiber). We almost always machine our composites with coolant, and have been doing so for 20 years.
    3- We are machining test specimens for mechanical testing as well as some simple (no profiling) molds and fixtures.
    4- We have no previous experience with CNC machining aside from a surface grinder.
    5- Money is an issue, but the two machines are reasonably priced and the real issue is not the cost at this point.

I have heard that the hurco control may be easier to use, and am leaning towards the hurco for this reason. However the Haas is cheaper and has some extra goodies (like a graphite package). I have done my research and even went to IMTS but i'm stumped. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Phil

The Haas graphite package is nothing more than a blower for the casting and a containment box that goes on the table. The box part of it is intended for machining small parts--mostly graphite electrodes for EDM. I don't think you need or really want that option, even if it sounds like it at first.

The other thing is that you should take a long look at the VF-3YT. I have a VF-2 and would have bought the YT if that option had come out 6 months earlier. It's rare for me to run out of X travel but Y travel has happened a number of times. At work, I just submitted a request for the VF-3T.

The 2YT has 20 inches of Y travel. The VF-4 has 20 inches. The VF-3YT has 26 inches of Y travel. We are a similar environment to yours (prototypes, short runs, proof-of-concept). Our parts are generally more box or diamond shaped, rather than long and slender. The envelope of the VF-3YT is almost unbelievable for such a small footprint. It's my new favorite in their lineup.
    Greg

Thanks for the reply Donkey Hotey. I looked at the VF-3 but we are VERY limited on space. We want the largest machine envelope for the smallest footprint. We may not need the 20"'s right now but in the future we will be doing some injection molds. I've pretty much settled on the Hurco VMX30, it has everything the Haas has, and it's much more flexible with the control. It can tool change heavier tools, has a smaller footprint, and the VMX series comes std with many goodies. I'll post our final choice this week.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by pbarsalou View Post
    We want the largest machine envelope for the smallest footprint. We may not need the 20"'s right now but in the future we will be doing some injection molds.
    That right there is more reason to look at the VF3-YT. It's not 20" of Y, it's twenty-six inches of Y travel, in the same footprint of a VF-3. And since you mentioned molds: it's also got the optional dual-slotted table (t-slots in both directions).

I'm not at all familiar with the the Hurco you mentioned. I looked at their website. It looks like a nice machine. It could come down to price or your local dealer support. How do they compare when comparably equipped?
    Greg

When comparably equipped the Haas is about $7000 cheaper. I haven't decided yet but even the footprint of both these machines are going to be hard to accommodate. I really, really like the Hurco control and feel that it's worth the extra money.

You should actually get a written quote by your HFO. I just got a written quote on a VF-3YT and the price shocked me (low). I guess they aren't doing Value Option Packages anymore. It's now a sliding scale: the more options you get, the more they are reduced. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was thousands less than the price I estimated based on the website and estimated shipping.

I like the Haas control but that's not to say there isn't something better out there. You've got my interest. I'm going to spend a bit more time in the Hurco booth at Westec in March.
    Greg