586,106 active members*
2,966 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    futmacl Guest

CNC robot building guide of mine

Hi folks,

First, let me quickly introduce myself; I'm a computer geek (with absolutely no specific machining or materials science background) trying his luck with CNC robotics - and lurking on cnczone - for a while now.

Now, I had to learn a lot of stuff in a really painful and frustrating way, as there are very few comprehensive books on amateur engineering, and the information available on the Internet is extremely fragmented and often not too reliable. I thought it would be productive to write down at least some of my findings for others to use, and so I started putting together a "Guerrilla guide to CNC robotics".

So far, I'm done with part I, which - on about 75 pages - outlines some information needed to set up a basic home manufacturing environment (centering on plastics). Part II, now in progress, would discuss CAD / CAM workflows, assorted designs, and techniques for specific projects.

The document is here:

http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/guerrilla_cnc1.html

Comments, suggestions, corrections, hate mail, etc is all welcome :-)

Cheers!

AWESOME EFFORT! THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!!

First - Welcome Aboard (since this is you first Post !)
    Second - THANK YOU THANK YOU -- THANK YOU for sharing your Guide!

Have you considered passing it along to Paul - Site Admin - and let him hang it as a Sticky in the General Section?
    Or PDF it and put it in the DOWNLOADS SECTION?
    Once upon a time there was a "Magazine" - where you could put this too.

Anyway - am I "gushing" too much? I have only skimmed the first few pages and think you have made a great effort.
    Many should/will find it useful - Press ON for the next segment! I look forward to it! (I did a quick pdf - and its a very readable 35 pages - No links of course )

BTW this is exactly what I was looking for 6-8 years ago and started collecting files to make sort of a smaller version -- but it so overcome by events it never got started! Thanks for your diligence!

:cheers: :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

futmacl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by High Seas View Post
    Have you considered passing it along to Paul - Site Admin - and let him hang it as a Sticky in the General Section? Or PDF it and put it in the DOWNLOADS SECTION?
    Sure, no problem (and thanks for all the praise :-). I will try to have the second part wrapped up soon.

Cheers,
    /mz

futmacl Guest
    In a horribly untimely manner, I am happy to announce the second and final part of the guide. Both parts can be found at:

Part I: http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/guerrilla_cnc1.shtml
    Part II: http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/guerrilla_cnc2.shtml

Thank you so much for creating this - I'd never really looked into doing molds and such and I found it facinating. I'm absolutely going to give this a shot. Some of your results are remarkable! Thanks!

Mike

Great information, I hope that somehow when a guest comes to CNCzone.com, that this guide pops up as recommended reading. You have done a wonderful job explaining the different facets of DIY CNC.

A great guide, very interesting and extremely informative. Thanks for the post.

wow, very good articles. I saved it for my homework.
    Thank you!