586,112 active members*
2,986 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Insensitive Keys Frustrating?

I was wondering what the breakdown of these membrane key pads are. Could you post what your experiences are with keypads that "just don't hold up"? Either it is partially broken (hard to engage) or completely so. I am trying to figure out whether to bring in a different technology (slightly more expensive) to the market that will eliminate broken or insensitive keys... Hey... if you guys think it's a seller, speak up or stick to your current frustrations (if any!)

I have found that oily fingers, or traces of coolant on the fingers can cause a membrane to crack prematurely, or make it very difficult to clean. Other membrane keypads have a quite thick, resiliant covering membrane, but take a fair poke to activate, plus the same oily fingers, and cleaning solutions tend to wash the lettering off the keys.

A molded character in the "keycap" might help preserve the identity of the key. But washability is important, and it would be great if the keys had a click to them that was similar to a regular keyboard.

I'm interested to hear what you've got up your sleeve.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

In the USA it does not have to be good, just new
    If you want to stay in business then that is a different story.

I replace keyboards frequently, they do not stick but the letters get wore off.
    I would be open to a better product.

Great idea!

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

Thanks. This is very important to us. We were actually looking to improve the life of the keyboard by using a more resilient covering while maintiaining a tactile feeling of the keys. Is the actual switch life a problem or more just as Ken says... characters wear off?

Ken - when you change, you change the entire keypad, right? Regardless if the switches are still working or not?

I don't think the actual switch life on an existing keypad/board is a problem. They seem to have that part figured out pretty well.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)