586,067 active members*
5,239 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TM3 tool changer delay

Was wondering if anyone else is deeply destarbed by the long delay in the tool changing process. Mine takes about 9sec from the time it meets the home position for tool changing till if moves from there with a different tool. Lots of speed to be gained if time could be cut from this cycle. Any help would be wonderfull.

Thanks,
    Hank

You cannot cut much time from the tool change. It is not possible to speed up the carousel advancing or rotating, and even if you did speed up the rapid on the Z axis it would probably only make a difference of less than 1 second.

There is a Parameter if you can find it called Tool Change delay or something like that and you might be able to take another second or two off by changing this.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I just wish I could buy a tool changer for my TM-1 over here in Germany! 9 seconds sounds like a dream to me... take that slow thing off and send it over here!!!

Haas can't sell an "open" machine in the EU with a toolchanger because of european safety regulations.
    www.wilkins-knives.com

I notice that you said 'TM-3', not TM-3P. You own an open model, which means you are running at 200IPM rapids. Tool changes are rapid moves. If you search the forums for the recipe to speed up you rapids, you can run at 400IPM, cutting you tool change time in half.

It made a huge difference in my TM-3.

I must have explained the tool changer delay wrong. I understand the rapid would help. The delay I'm curious about is when the spindle reaches its height where it will begin changing tools, it stops for at least 2 to 3 sec and beeps at me, then it changes tools, changer retracts and it beeps for another 2 to 3 seconds again before it starts down to begin machining again. My guess is that its a safety delay. I was wondering where that delay is listed so I can take it out. Love the machine, just thank there is to many so called safety features on it. Next thang you know, we wont be able to use sharp cutter do to danger.

Thanks,
    Hank

There are Parameters called SHUTTLE START DELAY, SHUTTLE STOP DELAY< DRAW BAR MAX DELAY. I think these are involved in how long a tool change takes from when the Z axis reaches zero and the spindle orients.

At your own risk you can play with the values in these Parameters.

Boy those sound like dangerous territory. If you are currently experiencing 9 second tool changes, wouldn't a 4.5 second increase more than suffice if you aren't affraid of playing with the parameters? The majority of the time is spent getting to the tool change position...increasing your rapids really does make a huge difference in tool change cycle time.

Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by WGJ View Post
    ... If you are currently experiencing 9 second tool changes...... The majority of the time is spent getting to the tool change position...increasing your rapids really does make a huge difference in tool change cycle time.

Just my thoughts.
    His 9 seconds is measured from when the machine is at the home position to when it leaves there with the next tool. Changing the rapids will only affect the speed at which the spindle lifts about 3-1/2 inches and then comes down on the next tool.

Not on a TM-3.

First, the TM-3 is a 16" Z machine. There is generally a good 10" between the tip of a jobber length drill (say 7/16) in a 1/2" chuck and the top of a Kurt vice, and obviously workpiece length would determine the rest of the envelope.

Second, the travel out of the toolholder the into the next toolholder are both rapid moves. To see this in action, drop rapids to 5% and do a tool change. It is painful to watch. Now imagine 200%.

There are a lot of inches not being accounted for. The only thing that doesn't change is the extraction, indexing and retraction of the tool carousel.

I am just saying that changing my rapid speed, above a 6000 rpm spindle mod, made me happiest with my TM-3.

I am interested in hearing the report on the new mod...