586,108 active members*
3,172 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > Puma 280 or 240 are they a good machine to buy

Puma 280 or 240 are they a good machine to buy

Hi I'm looking for some advice on the Puma 240 and 280 we need c-axis for some of the parts we need to make so the 280 is looking good.
    Are they good machines?
    Has any one used one with master cam?
    Has any one here bought a machine from Doosan?

I've only been studying CNC at tafe for 1 year and don't have a lot of cnc machine time up most the stuff I study is master cam and my g/m codes need work as this will be the first CNC at my work so any help would be taken with open arms.

I think that it is a pretty good machine, I make some pretty tight tol. parts on one +-.00015. It doesn't seem to mind a heavy chip either. I use FeatureCAM and it works well togather. I would give it a thumbs up.

We run a puma 240 with live tooling and as far as regular turning, it is pretty dang dead nuts if the setup is good and you don't have chatter or pushoff affecting your work. I was hard turning 12 parts today with +0 -.0004 on z depth, and 2 holes that had to be no +.0002 -0.

The Puma 280 is one of my personal favorites at the Doosan dealer I work for. It is a work horse of a machine and very reliable. I have seen customers cut diameters as large as 16" (.100" depth of cut) in A36 hotroll, and also turn round out of squares, and it handles the interrupted cut all day long. I use Mastercam for programming, and you can use the default fanuc 2 axis lathe post right out of the box without any editing. The live tooling will only allow you to mill/drill on center because of no Y axis, so make certain your type of work will not require you to come off center before you make a purchase.

Ive used the Puma 220 and the Lynx 240. The 240 is a little nicer, in my opinion, due to the upgraded graphics. The nice thing about Daewoo's are they alarm out before you cause any real damage so they are the perfect newbie machine. Fairly rigid and FANUC is the most widely used controller out there.

Oh come on.
    There are two types of machinists out there: Those that have crashed, and those that will crash. You know this to be true. LOL

Preach It !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark @ JARD,Inc View Post
    Oh come on.
    There are two types of machinists out there: Those that have crashed, and those that will crash. You know this to be true. LOL
    AMEN!!!

Speaking of such...... I had the turret "bump" the sub-spindle, I was suprised to find out how sturdy it was and how easy it went back into alignment. Ooops was that an admition of guilt?!? The other day I ran a 5.5" piece of A-2 taking .100 per side at 600 sfm. with stunning results. If you make big cuts make sure to get some kind of vacuum fan to get rid of the smoke. (If you use oil).

Hi Speed Nut,
    Good to see a few Aussies get on this site from time to time. I was just wondering how you went deciding on the Puma 240 or the Puma 280? I was also thinking about the 240 but the sales guy said I should take a look at the 280 as they offer some good features for not much more money. I don't do a lot of "C" axis work but that option would be handy. I see your in Sydney, Where in Sydney are you. I grew up in Syd, but I have since moved north. What type of machining do you do? I am just in the general engineering/jobbing myself. Anyway, let me know how you ended up with your 240 or 280 decision.
    Cheers,
    Fanuc Pilot

Well, here's hoping the 280 is good! Ours is due to arrive next week. Actually, I'm confident it is and very much looking forward to it. I have a long association with Daewoo / Doosan and rate them highly.