586,115 active members*
3,428 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cool XP or Vista ?

I just purchased Alibre and was reading the instalation manual. I came across where it said PDF creator would not work on Vista. I purchased a new Vista computer to to install CAM SOFT Motion software to retrofit a CNC plasma torch. I want to use Alibre to design my parts on. Should I delete Vista and install XP or would that be a step backwards?

Thank You
    Farmers Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Farmers Machine View Post
    I just purchased Alibre and was reading the instalation manual. I came across where it said PDF creator would not work on Vista. I purchased a new Vista computer to to install CAM SOFT Motion software to retrofit a CNC plasma torch. I want to use Alibre to design my parts on. Should I delete Vista and install XP or would that be a step backwards?

Thank You
    Farmers Machine
    Dump vista this OS is on the way out, will be end of lifed certainly real soon after windows 7 is out. Unlike XP, their won't be any service life extension to expect.

Vista have nothing over XP. Especially for corporate/professionnal use.

Lightbulb A suggestion...

Did you buy your computer locally and very recently? maybe you can get the seller to change over to XP at no charge or a reduced one? I'm not knowledgeable about OS and where it is going in the future, but just bought a new computer and decided to stay with what I knew, XP pro. I run packaged Alibre Pro with VM Pro.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by scadvice View Post
    Did you buy your computer locally and very recently? maybe you can get the seller to change over to XP at no charge or a reduced one? I'm not knowledgeable about OS and where it is going in the future, but just bought a new computer and decided to stay with what I knew, XP pro. I run packaged Alibre Pro with VM Pro.
    Steve
    There might be a downgrade coupon available from your seller. That's the official way to buy XP now. You first buy Vista then buy a downgrade option. They did this first with Word 6 for Macintosh. The software was so criminally bad that they where obliged to continue to provide Word 5.1 but only if you buy Word 6 first then buy the downgrade version.

There is now a PDF creator for Vista. It works slightly different as it requires the pdf creator to be running before creating the file. Anyhow it does work.

BTW: Alibre V11 runs faster on Vista than XP.

I have not looked at the CD but the user manual is for Version 10. I was thinking I purchased Version 11 talking to the sales man.
    Thank You for your input
    Farmers Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmers Machine View Post
    I have not looked at the CD but the user manual is for Version 10. I was thinking I purchased Version 11 talking to the sales man.
    Thank You for your input
    Farmers Machine.
    If you paid for a Maintenance Contract V11 is available to you. If not you will have to pay an Up-Grade Charge.

This is the main reason I paid the Maintenance because it gets expensive paying for the latest version of software.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com