586,103 active members*
3,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Ease of use.. GibbsCAM versus Mastercam versus BobCADCAM, etc.?

Ease of use.. GibbsCAM versus Mastercam versus BobCADCAM, etc.?

Looking for a CAM package to import my 3d Solidworks models and machine on Fadal, Fanuc, Centroid cnc controls for 3-axis milling. I was wondering out of all the available CAM softwares, which ones are the easiest to learn and use?

Hi squale

Gibbs Cam is the easiest to use & learn of the 3 you have picked
    Mactec54

is GibbsCAM the easiest cam software of all?

I am looking at all options such as Mastercam, GibbsCAM, BobCADCAM, CamWorks, Esprit, Solidcam, Edgecam, FeatureCAM, SurfCAM, etc.

I really think it depends on the person learning the software. I've heard people say they found Gibbs easy to learn, and others saying they learned nothing. Depends on the training as well, how it is conducted. As far as Mastercam is concerned, it is an easy program to learn, everything is laid out graphically and labeled. Sure may learning 5-axis programming right off the bat will be impossible, but as for getting to know the interface and basic programming, Mastercam is pretty slick. Plus their training is phenomenal, very experienced and professional traininers (that I know of anyway).

Don't even bother with Bobcad, you are just in for a headache.

WorkNC

No one has even mentioned WorkNC. WorkNC is a high end CAM software that is VERY easy to use. Is this for a hobby shop or are you trying to make money with it? We offer free evaluations with working posts so you can get it in your shop and see first hand how easy it is. You can learn it in a matter of a couple days! Send me an email at [email protected] if you would like to know more about it.

A buddy of mine bought Bobcad cam just for kicks it was so cheap like 500 for a seat of it, versus 23 or 24 k for a seat of Wnc.
    He was a good mastercam user and says the BobCad cam has really come a long ways. I little rough around the edges maybe but it is working well for him.
    Hard to make up for 24k cost and 3k a year in maintenance when something for 500 bucks works pretty decent.
    Also when the big "guys" decide its time to change your maintenance cost they just do it and don't return your phone calls....... just my two cents....

I do like gibbscam, but it seems like they nickle and dime you to death, and there grahpis are not as good as others. But I do find it easy to use for the most part. Have you tried looking at something that plugs into solidworks? Solidcam isn't a bad choice. Having something that plugs into your cad system will save you from having to learn how to draw geometery in your standalone cam system. And it's open post processor lets you do your own mods instead of relying on some else.

Esprit is very easy to learn. Also the most productive CAM I've ever worked with. This is compaired to Mastercam, CATIA, SmartCAM and BobCAD.

Also it will open Solidworks models without translation or extra cost. There are no limits on what type of cnc machine you can program as well. If your shop ever plans to expand with mill/turns or multi-axis, you won't have to re-learn a new CAM software.

Dean

In-Source Technical Solutions

Edgecam is crazy. Dont bother with it no matter what the sales guy tells you. I've used a few systems and have been a MC user since version 7. Edgecam is by far the most difficult and poorly laid out system I have ever seen.

Daryle
    " Not a happy Edgecam user"

I happen to love gibbscam and use it daily. I think the hardest thing to learn (looking back wasnt very hard if I would have read the manual) is the creation of geometry and modifying geometry lines, connect/disconnect, wall/air, REVERSE ARC!

tool creation is easy/fast, and volumill is awesome!! (not for use in just gibbscam obviously)

but all that being said, I am looking to explore the change to use Siemens NX cad/cam all in one package.