586,655 active members*
4,144 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

vicon 8000 conversion

hi im new to this list wondering if anybody has or knows of a vicon 8000plasma table that has been converted over to dynatorch servos and software. id just like to hear some thoughts on this.i am going to purchase the items required to do this conversion next week.thanks for any ideas tips etc-

I just picked up a Vicon 9000 and am trying to get it running. It has Anaheim Automation 34D106S steppers to drive the cutter that rests on a disc. I don't think it has any other height control.

The thermal dynamics PAK 5XR looks like it will tolerate some slop though. The HP computer system seems to come up but besides being archaic it is very old. The Thermo Dynamics people have been very helpful. I haven't had a chance to check with Vicon but I'm afraid they will have to pull someone out of retirement to answer my questions.

Any info on either unit would be appreciated.
    I used to be appalled, now I'm just amused.

vicon 8000

im looking at a vicon 8000 was interested in how yours is working out ,i would like to use for my fabricating shop and thought it might work good,any luck with the 9000

I got hold of the Vicon people and found out that they won't talk to you unless you have signed a Thousand dollar a year agreement. I don't know what their product is like now but with this kind of support I would look elsewhere. Their system is totally proprietary from what I can see and they don't give details on their web page. I'm sure they have advanced in the 20 years since my machine was built but my unit used obscure equipment and parts that were cobbed together to make it work.
    Unless you have some special need I would talk to someone like Josh at Torchmate or Tom at candcnc.

I'm just starting to look into this thing and have talked with several other folks. A lot of differences out there. It would be interesting to see what kind of experience xlr8r had with Dynatorch. It also makes a difference whether you are doing this as a hobby and it would be nice to make some money at it or if you depend on it for a living. Also do you have the time and inclination to fool with it yourself or do you need a turnkey unit.

I'm going to try to move the table today wish me luck.

I have lots and lots of documents for Vicon tables. I have done some work on them and have retrofitted Hypertherm PHc's to them. If you have any questions i may be able to help I have some connections to Vicon AKA i have the cell number of a tech that is helpful there. So if you need something PM me.
    Thanks
    Matt

Thanks CNCTECHNICIAN1 PM sent

I got the table working under Mach2 today. I had an old trial setup from several years back and cobbed in to the table. It needs a cleanup pretty bad.

Matt
    Got your return PM and sent reply Thanks

For anyone interested here is a shot of my Vicon 9000 http://www.kimfab.com/images/vicon.jpg It is built as a trailer. The cutting table slides out for loading and slides back in for cutting.
    Actually a pretty neat setup - no need to worry about messing up your shop.

I have just acquired a VICON 9000 downdraft table as well. Vicon is NO help! Outdated software circa 1985. What options do I have to upgrade? I'm new to CNC and completely ignorant, so I should make a good student...:idea:

Runamuk Offroad

Last I heard Dynatorch was designing retrofits for many older industrial plasma table systems including Vicon. I would give them a call. I talked to them recently about upgrading an old Burny optical trace system for a friend. The upgrade price from Dynatorch was less than a 3rd of what Burny wanted.

DynaTorch Plasma CNC

Magma-joe

Vicon Fabricator table up for artwork?

So how are you guys getting on with your Vicon conversions? I'm looking into a Vicon Fabricator table from the mid 90s. I'm trying to find out if this table (haven't seen it yet) is capable of artwork quality smoothness/detail. As it was built, or as modified. I'd like to hear any thoughts on the subject before taking this on. I've PM'd a few people that come up in the searches, but no replies yet.
    Thanks!

I am looking for the software for the Vicon 9000 can any one help out?