586,312 active members*
4,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > editing parts in assembly , difficulty with mates

editing parts in assembly , difficulty with mates

having some difficulties sometimes getting mates between part being edited and the assembly it is in. things like distant mates dont seem to be showing up. any advise on this? thanks R

You can't do mates while a part is being edited.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

do you mean if the part is open you can not do mates?
    because I can do tangent mates while editing assembly, but it is hit and miss..

You cannot be in an assembly and editing a part and add mates.. period..

Tangent mates are always a fight.. simply because there are multiple possible results.. I find that if I HAVE to use a tangent mate then I will try and position the part as close to where I need it as possible and then put in the mate.. there are no 'flip mates' in tangent mates which will actually flip the tangency.. therefore if you try to put in a mate and it 'goes the wrong way' generally you have to delete it.. move the pc and re-instate the mate..

I've also found that w/ geometry changes in parts that tanget mates will randomly flip on you.. for this reason I recommend that ppl stay away from Tangent mates were possible. I'll even go as far as to say that adding additional sketch geometry to assist w/ inserting mates will reduce the possibility of tangent mate errors or mis-positions..

Fwiw

J
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

good info thanks. so how do you make a derived part if you can not add a mate. i want to be able to change one part and have the other parts in the assembly resize too. so far I have been making a new part in the assembly. but if you can not add mates how do you get the parts to relate to each other. thanks

Ok, now your talking about a 'top down' assembly.

If your in an assembly and you 'insert a new part' into that assembly. The software automatically inputs a mate called " Inplace Mate" which will keep the two parts linked. So when you move a hole on one part, it moves along on the other part.

In this case, there is no need for additional mates between the first part and the new part added.
    JerryFlyGuy
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by JerryFlyGuy View Post
    Ok, now your talking about a 'top down' assembly.

If your in an assembly and you 'insert a new part' into that assembly. The software automatically inputs a mate called " Inplace Mate" which will keep the two parts linked. So when you move a hole on one part, it moves along on the other part.

In this case, there is no need for additional mates between the first part and the new part added.
    can new mates be added or changed to different types ?

New mates can be added to the parts, but not between the parts.. .. well I guess you could but they would have to duplicate existing geometry which is concentric or coincident already.. if the new mate changed the relation between the two bodies then it would creat an error.. really it's not worth if if the part was designed top down/ in-context..

If you were to add more parts.. you certainly could mate them to either of the two existing parts in the assembly.

Hth

J
    JerryFlyGuy

edit.

I think I am done with making top down assemblies unless really needed. does not seem like it is the best way to go. lots of problems.

Rich what version of SW are you using [07, 08?]

I'll post you a model if it will help..

Top down assemblies are a GREAT tool when used properly.. a table w/ legs mated to it is a fine use of top down.. it just has to be done correctly and it will work.. don't give up just yet

Remember that SW is a powerful tool.. because it can do so much in so many ways.. it becomes complex and sometimes the smallest thing.. makes a big difference..

J
    JerryFlyGuy

roger that. I think I found out the problem... Do not allow external references to the model!!! was checked... that might explain how nothing would work.

Forgot about that one.. I'll add it to my list of possible solutions...

I remember a job I did years ago when I ran into that.. forgot about it till now
    JerryFlyGuy