586,103 active members*
2,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Problems running G-code

I am new to the cnc scene. I recently finished building my cnc taig machine, powered by a xylotex board and 240oz/in steppers. Today I configured everything,port pins, motor tuning etc. and the first tests went well. Using mach1 I can jog all axis, but I hit problems when I try to get it to run from code. I exported the nc .iso file from deskproto and imported it into mach1. When I run the sequence all I can here is the motors groaning and the spindles twitch. I got it to start but then the motors kept locking up after a few lines and then they didnt move at all. I have fiddled with everything I can think of, but nothing has any effect. Can anyone think what might be causing this?
    Thanks.

What software are you using to generate the gcode and are you using the Mach1/2 Post for that sw package?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I included that in the post above I am using mach1 and creating toolpaths in deskproto.

Sorry, my bad, did not read the post completely. I just have not seen a Mach1/2 Post for DeakProto. I thought it was a Post problem.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Turns out it was partly deskprotos fault. In the milling machine settings it was set to 30mm/min travel. That coupled with the fact I had my spr wrong made it really slow! In the end I worked out that I had a 20tpi lead screw, so in 1/8th step mode I needed 32000 steps per inch I just let the program caluclate the mm's.