586,103 active members*
3,827 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

High speed air spindle

Does anyone have experience with high speed air spindles like this one?

http://www.bryanmachine.com/vrt_high..._spindles.html

How do air spindles compare to a standard high speed spindle?

Thank you,

Phil

Air spindles aren't as stout as high speed machine. Any adapter for that matter.
    They do however serve their purpose; To add High speed machining capabilities to low speed machines.
    Most high speed tooling is also high relief, and most high speed processes are low load processes, so you don't need as much ridgitity any way.
    Another good call for them, is it is usually less expensive to add an air spindle to a standard machine than it is to buy or upgrade to a high speed machine.
    High speed machines also lack low speed torque neccassary for some operations, so this would allow you to basically have 2 machines in one.
    I hate deburring.....
    Lets go (insert favorite hobby here)

Air spindles CAN BE the most accurate as far as run-out and reliable high speed spindles available, and a nice add on as you've shown, and no, I'm not backing that company as I know nothing about them. BUT, air spindles are also the least ridgid... Kinda looks like they were milling ceramics in that video? Would be a great application for that spindle and a great application for that retro on an older machine with a lower RPM spindle.

high frequency spindle

The alternative to air is high frequency spindle for high speed machining, as are the stand alone unit, so you don’t have a problem if some start using blow gun clean their machine next to you, also much more powerful unit are available. The downside with both these type of spindle technology, is what was describe to me as being the “donkey-dick” problem due to the length of overhang, and the limitation of your machine control. It’s no good having a spindle that can do 30,000 rpm, if your machine maximum feed rate is only a few meters per minute, as it just defeats the objective. If you want to learn more, use this link: http://www.mctooling.com/index/listings/page862.htm