586,889 active members*
4,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with electronics - 1st build

I have just put my first router together based on the design from buildyourcnc.com, I have already decided to make a bigger one appx 4' x 6'. My question is what would be the best and not too expensive electronics (motors/drivers/powersupply/etc) to use. I would rather order a kit than individual parts. I considered ordering the kit from buildyourcnc.com but are those motors going to do what i need them to do on a bigger machine? Thanks in advance for any advise........

Need advice on new controller.

Quote Originally Posted by wprysock View Post
    I have just put my first router together based on the design from buildyourcnc.com, I have already decided to make a bigger one appx 4' x 6'. My question is what would be the best and not too expensive electronics (motors/drivers/powersupply/etc) to use. I would rather order a kit than individual parts. I considered ordering the kit from buildyourcnc.com but are those motors going to do what i need them to do on a bigger machine? Thanks in advance for any advise........
    1. What is your budget?
    What you may think is expensive might be pocket change for somebody else.
    2 What kind of materials are you going to cut on it?
    3. 4' x 6' is a large machine, what kind of cutter head are you going to use?
    4 what is your budget?
    Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

I will only be cutting wood (accuracy is more important than speed)
    I would prefer not to spend more than $500, thats not to say i can't or won't go higher to get more bang for the buck (remember I am only looking for the electronics....not an entire kit for a whole machine)

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    1. What is your budget?
    What you may think is expensive might be pocket change for somebody else.
    2 What kind of materials are you going to cut on it?
    3. 4' x 6' is a large machine, what kind of cutter head are you going to use?
    4 what is your budget?
    Mike
    I will only be cutting wood (accuracy is more important than speed)
    I would prefer not to spend more than $500, thats not to say i can't or won't go higher to get more bang for the buck (remember I am only looking for the electronics....not an entire kit for a whole machine)
    1. Budget. $500 is a nice piece of change to work with.
    This will get you a nice G540 with motors and power supply.

http://www.kelinginc.net/CNCNEMA23Package.html
    Look at this package.
    G540 4 axis package (1PCS G540 +4 pcs KL23H2100-30-4B (3/8” Dual
    shaft with a flat) 382 oz-in + 1 pcs KL-350-48 48V/7.3A 110V/230V
    power supply): $549.95

2. What kind of materials are you going to cut with it? Wood (chair).
    OK what kind of wood? Balsa is a lot easier to cut than Rockmaple.

3.What are you going to be using for a cutter head? If you are going to use a 5hp router or industrial cutting head the weight starts to become a real concern. The mass and power of the cutter, along with the type and thickness of the material to be cut, determines a lot of what is needed in the way of motors and drivers.
    If you are using an dremel to do large sized but finely detailed carvings, you can get away with a lot less.

4. Based on the cutters that you will be using and the type of material you will be cutting, going slow may not be an option. Operating a cutter below its minimum speed and feed will just burn it out/up and leave a terrible finish on the part. (nuts) Conversely, if you going to be using high hp on tough material and large cutters, you may need a suprising amount of power to push the cutter into the material.

Mike.

Mike, thanks for your replies

I designed my base for a 2.5 hp craftsman router and my dremel so i could just change it out as needed for various projects. I want to be able to cut poplar, pine, and red oak (the only readily avail materials in my area)
    This is a 3 axis system, would it be better to go with the 3axis package with the 425 oz motors???

Pakage for router.

Mike, thanks for your replies

I designed my base for a 2.5 hp craftsman router and my dremel so i could just change it out as needed for various projects. I want to be able to cut poplar, pine, and red oak (the only readily avail materials in my area)
    This is a 3 axis system, would it be better to go with the 3axis package with the 425 oz motors???
    You have to remember that the torque rating is a holding torque and it drops off as you increase the speed of the motor. While the 425 will give better low speed torque, as you increase speed of the motors, the torque will drop off faster than the 382's.

The 382's max voltage is also closer to 48v than the 425's, based on their inductance ratings, so its high speed performance will be better. It all boils down to what you final "gearing will be. If you use rack and pinion which has a low gear reduction the 425 would probably be the better choice. If you wind up going with more reduction and need more rpms to feed at a proper rate, go with the 382's.
    That all being said, neither may have enough power to run a 2.5 hp router through hard wood on a table that big.
    Unfortunatly anything with more power gets expensive fast.
    3 203v + breakout board and 75v power supply and nema 34 motors = real money ~ 1k
    This is where I defer to the greater knowledge of everyone else.