586,096 active members*
3,696 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

really budget first cnc

hey, as part of a college project I've decided to undertake the task of designing and building a cnc router. The project is funded by the college so money isn't an issue, but i think it would be a much more exciting challenge to build it for the very bare minimum, so I'm looking for any ideas that can keep the cost down, so far I'm thinking.

75cm (30") by 50cm (20") cutting area, and a few inches in the z.

Having a stationery gantry, the workpiece moves instead, i think this will be cheaper as the workpiece could be clamped down to a really small base, simply a bar that slides on rods at either side.

X,Y and possibly Z will use timing belts and pulleys, and only 1 motor on the X.

Construction mostly of plastic should keep costs down as well.

Obviously I'm new to all this so any suggestions at all, would be really helpful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwest View Post
    hey, as part of a college project I've decided to undertake the task of designing and building a cnc router. The project is funded by the college so money isn't an issue, but i think it would be a much more exciting challenge to build it for the very bare minimum, so I'm looking for any ideas that can keep the cost down, so far I'm thinking.

75cm (30") by 50cm (20") cutting area, and a few inches in the z.

Having a stationery gantry, the workpiece moves instead, i think this will be cheaper as the workpiece could be clamped down to a really small base, simply a bar that slides on rods at either side.

X,Y and possibly Z will use timing belts and pulleys, and only 1 motor on the X.

Construction mostly of plastic should keep costs down as well.

Obviously I'm new to all this so any suggestions at all, would be really helpful.

Thanks
    Search the zone, there are a bunch of post about low budget routers.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.