586,108 active members*
3,108 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

boss 5 spindle won't run on new conversion

I double checked the way oil lube level switch and it is fine, but I jumpered wires 2 and 138 to eliminate it for troubleshooting anyway. The way things stand the Hillbilly BOB LED 14 is on when starting the system, then when I enter m3 or hit f5 the led goes out as it should for spindle enable but the machine will not start either way, with the led on or off. My machine has the type of motor control switch where there is a central off position, and then turn to the right for high or to the left for low speed, with a further 1/4 turn required to actually start the motor. There is a green light next to the start knob, "spindle off" it says, I think. It never illuminates and I don't think it ever did. There is also a momentary estop button there (it works). Pneumatic brake is off, switching its power either way (with no air supplied) does not help. Searching old posts I see reference to EAF could be interrupting ground for a contactor or relay- what is EAF?
    Spindle ran fine prior to removal of logic power supply, tape drive and logic board cage. I did manage to run the z up too high and got it stuck while testing (spindle was off) but easily unstuck it, but I hadn't run the spindle after removing all the oem logic and before crashing the z. All axes work great. Turning the start knob gives 124v then turning it that extra bit gives zero v. Anybody think of anything else that could prevent the spindle from starting?

tom
    See my stuff for sale at http://stores.ebay.com/Industrial-Tool-and-Machine-Works?refid=store

On mine the contactors sometimes get stuck and I have to clean the sticky residude off them with the power tured off obviously.
    When you turn the spindle enable on and off in Mach3 can you hear a relay clicking in and out?
    check your E-stop mine occasionally gets half pressed in stopping the spindle but still allowing the axes to be operated, worth checking!

Hope this may help.

It turned out to be the BOB. got it running now

thanks
    tom
    See my stuff for sale at http://stores.ebay.com/Industrial-Tool-and-Machine-Works?refid=store