586,069 active members*
3,796 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Best way to organize and load sheet stock in a small shop?

Best way to organize and load sheet stock in a small shop?

I'm moving things around so we(I) can actually be productive around here. I don't have much room, forklift access is out of the question. (but if you've figured out something really neat tell me anyways) The slide out racks are nice, but to big and don't have enough bays for all the types and sizes of materials i like to have on hand(anybody seen any high density versions?). My ceilings are only 10 and 12 ft. All i can think of is stack it on edge. And probably install a bridge crane(want one anyways) to pick a sheet out and set it on the table. It will be close clearance wise and only work with 4ft wide sheets unless i angle the pile or drag it sideways to pull it out. This also seems like the easiest method for dealing with partial sheets. Ideas? Pictures? What not to do?

My way

I do not have room for vertical stacks in my shop so I tend to lay sheets flat on the floor in different stacks by thickness. I park my truck in the shop over the top of the sheets and move it outside when working. I have overhead beams w/ elec. hoists that will pick up and trolley over to the table.

I deal with heavier plate & have room for loading with a fork truck. But seems to me if you have the room to use a sheet metal grab & overhead hoist, that would be the way to go. Pick the sheet out of the rack on edge then lay on table, remove the grab, then use a lifting magnet or slings to final position the plate.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!