586,121 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rotary Table For SX3

Hello everyone. I'll be receiving a G0619 from Grizzly next month. I noticed they sell a nice looking 6 inch horizontal rotary table for less than $200. It looks to be a copy of the Phase II variety. http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Pr...ry-Table/H2677. Is there any other recommendations or favorites for a table? Do you think the 6 inch table is a Little large for the SX3?
    Thank You
    John

I bought the H7527 set w/tailstock & indexing plates on sale for my X-3 last year http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Ro...v-Plates/H7527 and it's the perfect size. Not too heavy to lift onto the table but big enough for reasonably serious work. One of the 1st things I made for it was an add-on aluminum 8" table with holes drilled & tapped all over it. Best of both worlds, 6" rotab weight with 8" dia. work surface.

I wouldn't pay what they're asking for it now though. The quality seems to be fair, not excellent. One of these days I'll take it apart and try to figure out how to reduce the backlash it has.

Smile Rotary table.

Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Rotary Table.

Thanks, Dick, Neil, Now that I'm looking at indexing tooling, I'm beginning to think I might need both an indexer and a rotary table or perhaps a rotary table with indexing plates might be my best approach. Oh Man, It's so hard to make these tooling decisions without having a place to look at the stuff closely before buying. I just found out that JTS in Mentor Ohio is only about a 45 minute drive from where I live. Maybe I can make some tooling purchases from them. I may be jumping the gun a little bit. After running Bridgeport's for over 20 years I have a feeling I might be a little disappointed in the SX3 capabilities, but I actually don't have room for anything larger. I'll be making electric model airplane motors mostly, so I'll need more precision than power. If I ever figure out how to post a picture I'd be proud to show you guys what they look like. Oh wait it looks like this works. These are brushless motors that probably operate allot like what must be in the SX3, except these are outrunners instead of inrunners. I'm thinking about making an electric spindle adapter for 10/50K rpm. I know a few people who have done this already. I have a profile cutter grinder and I think small solid carbide six sided cutters might work nice with the small mill.
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7114Motor.jpg  

RTFM. the backlash is adjustable, takes all of 30 seconds.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
    One of these days I'll take it apart and try to figure out how to reduce the backlash it has.

Cool SX3 CNC Lathe.

SX3 CNC lathe will make nice motor parts.
    A few minor mods. Z travel now exceeds 360mm
    Get the head down a long way.
    Rotate 90 degrees.
    Add 3 jaw chuck on an R8 spindle (from the 4th axis)
    No we have an SX3 CNC lathe, with adjustable tool height!
    Who said the rotating head is useless?
    Add a plate to the 4th axis and some tool holders.
    Now it's got a tool changer too!
    I like it like that

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    RTFM. the backlash is adjustable, takes all of 30 seconds.
    Gee Phil, thanks for the help. Yes, I have "RTFM" (several times) and I didn't see any mention of a backlash adjustment. The table free-rotation lever is fully seated....is that where the adjustment you're talking about is located?

Please share the instructions in your manual; it must be better than the one Grizzly sent with my rotab.

SX3 Lathe

Indeed Neil. Anyone who hasn't tried using the mill as a lathe should give it a try. This works really nice even if you just use it vertically and put a tool bit in your vice. Interesting thought on the 4th axis idea. Right now I'm making the motors with a 1930 something 9" South Bend lathe with flat belt drive and a simple 4C collet indexer and drill press for the cooling holes. I'm anxious to get busy with the new machine.
    Thanks
    John

8" Phase II H/V rotary table "too big" for G0619?

Hi all:

Somewhat building on the original question in the thread, I have a G0619 that I've converted to CNC and am looking at the 8" H/V rotary table from Phase II that Enco has on sale right now. My concern is if the 8" table is "too big" for this mill (meaning it is out of proportion to the rest of it, significantly limits me in some way, ...).

My objective is to be able to mount steel/aluminum tubes horizontally in it and use it as a 4th axis that will rotate under the cutter so I can mill all angles of the tube. I will probably CNC it eventually as well.

I could just get the 6" version but it is actually more expensive right now at Enco and if the 8" one won't limit me, I might as well pay less and get more table.

Thoughts?

thx