586,108 active members*
3,113 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > modern commercial cnc design books / inside details

Cool modern commercial cnc design books / inside details

Hi

Can't seem to find books that go into detail about how a modern cnc machine is constructed ?

Particularly with respect to geometry, discussions of pros and cons of various layout choices, and what components are used (eg: thk bearings, etc).

Be nice to get a look inside one ! (modern commercial cnc machine)

Also looking for discussions on how the machines are accurately assembled within the resource constraints of a production environment - like how much precision grinding takes place, how much hand scraping, etc

Lastly how are the machines calibrated and tested ?

Thanks for your time.

Theory and Design of CNC Systems (Springer Series in Advanced Manufacturing) has alot of stuff on the electronics side of things. There are copies floating around the net...

yeah, cheers, I have that one already...

Its still not what I'm after tho - as you said, its mostly electronics. I'm more having difficulty with the mechanics part.

I note that there is a myriad of electronics resources on the internet - perhaps this is due to the close affiliation with electronics enthusiasts and the net... unfortunately not so for those of a mechanical persuasion !

In fact that basic mechanics, like load calculation etc, thats all cool, but where can I learn about the actual practical assembly of a commercial grade machine ?

Have you checked out MechMate - give it a "google"
    It is a nice - and large - professional-style machine I reckon - it might be what you are looking for.
    Once the basics of the system are built - you could "jazz" it up with e-chain, covers, paint, etc to make it look more professional. Seems the principles and therefore the guts are all pretty much the same from a desktop to a large 6 axis floor model.
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Hey - thanks for that - very interesting reading. Cool project !

No thats not what I'm looking for tho... It is not a high precision machine.

As far as I know the professional machines mostly use linear roller bearings, but that is mostly based on hearsay, I haven't gotten to see inside one properly.

I'm mostly concerned with how all the components are made to line up, and how the machine is checked for trueness.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by bobJandal View Post
    Hey - thanks for that - very interesting reading. Cool project !

No thats not what I'm looking for tho... It is not a high precision machine.

As far as I know the professional machines mostly use linear roller bearings, but that is mostly based on hearsay, I haven't gotten to see inside one properly.

I'm mostly concerned with how all the components are made to line up, and how the machine is checked for trueness.

Cheers.
    you probably wont find this info at all simply because thats what we call trade secrets.

BUT.... since youre a kiwi...

google Laser tracker

thats what I use for inspection and alignment of CNC machines

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)