586,094 active members*
4,030 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: way covers

Page 1 of 2 12

way covers

i was wondering if any one here has issues with the way covers on the y axis.. the one i have on my machine are the accordian style fabric ones.. after long runs i notice that they tend to get clogged with chips and then i hear crushing sounds as the table travels in Y.. just wondering if anyone had any thoughts..

thanks

Bernard

Yep, all the time. It is at it's worst when you are doing a lot of heavy cutting of aluminum .030 - .050 DOC with a single point fly cutter. The curly thick chips get all over in the cover and fill up the valleys of the bellows. I have had the way covers jump off the dove tail guides and it is not easy to put them back on. I have a shop vac handy and now during a long part run I will vacume all the chips out whenever the table extends out in either direction. You have to avoid the drill swarf as it will clog the vacume cleaner hose, but milling chips are easy to pick up.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

as it stands now i use a wisk broom to sweep the way covers while the machine runs.. i made some covers for the table to help keep that clean .... i was just wondering what others did

Hi Guys

I installed a plate at the rear of the Chip Guard that stops 90% of the Swarf from piling up on the rear Way Cover. The plate is adjustable so I can make it higher or lower depending on what I am machining. I also filled in the front slot of the Chip Guard which prevents Swarf from dropping down onto the front Way Cover.

If Swarf is allowed to build up between the folds of these covers, they will eventually fail. I find that the above modifications have improved clean up considerably as most of the Swarf stays in the Chip Guard and not all over the Stand. Of coarse this depends on what type of machining you are performing.

Willy

photos please...

yes photos please...

Willy, sounds like a good idea. Can't wait to see a photo or two.

BW

Hi Freddy, cruizer67 & Bob

Yes I am very happy with the modifications to my Chip Guard. It sure makes clean up allot easier only having to vacuum out the Chip Guard instead of the complete Stand. If you are doing a big job and removing lots of material, I would recommend stopping part way through to prevent the Swarf from building up to much. It's still better than jamming up your Way Covers and possibly damaging them.

I will try and take some pictures tonight.

Willy

i use solidworks at work and have a copy here at home.. I've been working on a design that has a chip conveyor attached to it.. making a complete stand to be just like i would want it.. I seen the mods that TT350 did to his machine and am very impressed with that. I know that the footprint of my machine will be a little bigger than most considering i would like to have a conveyor but it would make clean up a breeeze.. i will make the files available as a package those that want it.. for free of course.. I may start a seperate thread.. then let everyone have some input..

Hi Guys

Here are the pictures of the Modifications I did to my Chip Guard. First one is with the rear plate all the way down. Second it is half way up. And the thrid it is all the way up. You have to be careful when the plate is up that you have enough room between the bottom of the Spindle Housing and the top of the rear plate. Also notice the front gap has been filled in to prevent Swarf from piling up on the front Y Axis Way Cover.

Willy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2791.jpg   100_2799.jpg   100_2810.jpg   100_2800.jpg  

Willy, thanks for the pictures. I like your table shield mods.

Did you make your own chip trays? I notice the rivets on yours, and my factory trays are nothing like that--just welded at the corners and bolt together on the centerline of the stand.

Best regards,

Randy

cruizer67, are you planning on building out a stand like that used in the Haas Mini VMC (http://www.haascnc.com/details_VMC_N...VMCTreeModel)? I am sure there is probably a market for a stand add-on like that for the Tormach -- I know I would like one. Doesn't even need a conveyor and whatnot, totally enclosed with better build quality than the Tormach Deluxe stand and provisions to mount the electronics cabinet outside would be my basic wish list.

yes something similar to that.. I also want the controler on the front .. have you seen the one that TT 350 did.. he modified his Tormach stand and did a heck of a job.. I however opted not to buy the stand... the one i have now is just to get me by until i get a fully enclosed one built... i think the conveyer for me is a must as I hate cleaning the chips out.... i would rather wash the inside of the machine down. I know i will have to water proof the control cabinet better.. even had little thoughts of moving the cabinet. after all the warranty is done... so no harm if I am careful.. mounted to the back like a regular machine for me is the best .. it will have to wait and see until i get the solid models down.. I will post pictures of what the model looks like now when i get home. Thansk for the link i have not seen that HAAS model beofre gives me and Idea of where I can go..

her are a few preliminary models.. got a long way to go.. but I think in a few weeks i'll be more settled on a design.. I work at a place where we build telehammer (extended boom) forklifts. I have tools at my disposal.. let me know what you guys think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stand2.jpg   stand2a.jpg   stand2b.jpg  

I think if you build your bottom stand as shown in the drawing it will wobble all over the place (mine does). I need to add X bracing to stop it from doing this. Where it will get you is on a short rapid, if the X axis rapids .200" and then stops it is the mill that actually moves in the opposite direction while the table sits stationary in fixed space, but of course the loaded up stand then springs back and wobbles around until another rapid. Build it with thick wall tubing and brace it good.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

i plan on using 1/4 in wall 2 x 2 or 2 x 3 tubing. I haven't added the gussets to it yet as I haven't figured out the conveyor design yet.. still looking into it. we have an old conveyor at the shop that's used for a drill boring machine. I'm planning to take pictures of it and change the scale.and maybe use it's design as it is a small chip conveyor. I will make it to fit my machine....As far as I know at the moment i may scrap certain parts of the current design and do other things. I would like feedback from those willing to give it. I am open to any and all critizism.. I build welding and machining fixtures all day so I get a lot of input from the welders at work as well as the machine operators. so I'm used to it.. look forward to hearing from you guys...

Mine did exactly the same. I think X bracing is the correct answer. Gussets are added primarily for increased strength at points of high stress concetration, not necessarily to increase stiffness, although they will add some stiffness. The primary method for increasing stiffness in a structure is "triangular" bracing.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    I think if you build your bottom stand as shown in the drawing it will wobble all over the place (mine does). I need to add X bracing to stop it from doing this. Where it will get you is on a short rapid, if the X axis rapids .200" and then stops it is the mill that actually moves in the opposite direction while the table sits stationary in fixed space, but of course the loaded up stand then springs back and wobbles around until another rapid. Build it with thick wall tubing and brace it good.

I think 1/4" (6 mm) wall is way overkill, especially if cost is an issue. I used 2mm wall with 40mm x 60mm for cross members and 60mm x 60mm for legs. Once I added cross bracing it was fine.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer67 View Post
    i plan on using 1/4 in wall 2 x 2 or 2 x 3 tubing. I haven't added the gussets to it yet as I haven't figured out the conveyor design yet.. still looking into it. we have an old conveyor at the shop that's used for a drill boring machine. I'm planning to take pictures of it and change the scale.and maybe use it's design as it is a small chip conveyor. I will make it to fit my machine....As far as I know at the moment i may scrap certain parts of the current design and do other things. I would like feedback from those willing to give it. I am open to any and all critizism.. I build welding and machining fixtures all day so I get a lot of input from the welders at work as well as the machine operators. so I'm used to it.. look forward to hearing from you guys...

thanks for the input. i guess bigger is not always best.. i figure with everyones help i'll make a killer machine stand...

how is this? I changed the material to 1/8 wall 2 x 2 tubing..I left the front open so that I can place the coolant reservior in it. I think it should have sufficient bracing now. I can always add more. think i should brace from the vertical legs to the lower horizontal bars?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stand.jpg   stand a.jpg   stand b.jpg   stand c.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12