586,094 active members*
4,030 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Ball screw and TAC bearing replacement question

Ball screw and TAC bearing replacement question

I have changed two different Okuma Howa X and Z axis ball screw, bearing, and of course oil seals. I have come into a couple of questions I would like to present to you all, I'm hoping for some pointers, and or answers.

One question is; how do you guys get the TMK nuts off the end of the ball screws? On one I used a 24" creasant wrench, one I had to use some key stock, and a ball peen, but the ones in the gear housing were a little more fun...anyway, I got them, but I was wondering any tricks you guys might have.

Another question I have is after these parts are changed, what all should be done. I dropped the backlash settings to zero, and used an indicator to check and adjust for backlash, but I do not know if there is any other thing that should be done...is there? I was a little alarmed that the Z axis did not need to be adjusted above 0, but I had to put in a substantial value in the X, I'm not sure why, I know that everything was stacked in correctly...would this become an issue later?

I do know that one of the other guys changed the grid shift. He was trying to get more production out of a machine that needed parts replaced. Could that be an issue of any sort? Anything I should do with that?

Any helpful hints with ballscrew, and support bearing replacement?
    It's not what you cut...It's what you don't cut.

Any one?

For KMT nut removal we have milled pipe and made sockets for the different sizes which works pretty well. As for you x backlash, depending on the bearing manufacturer I always mic the bearings and get the stack the exact same height to get the correct preload. Some bearing stack differ as much as .003 I have seen which will create backlash if too small or servo thermal alarms if too large. I have had the best luck with skf bearings and the worst with Nachi.

Thanks for the input. I haven't had to set the backlash high enough to create thermal problems. So far the two machines have been running well, the operators have told me that they are not having to offset set it much, and when they need to it is due to tool wear...we are not having lines on the part that look like built up edhe on the insert any more either...So I believe they are going to hold out.

You might find this link useful: http://mtsspecialservices.homestead....athe-axis.html ...

Cheers,
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

I have another question...In what order is correct for a ball screw installation?

I know that is a really vauge question, with a looong answer. But someone briefly walk me through installation. I've installed a few of them, and they have run really well, but, another maintenance tech seems to think that I should be doing it in different steps. So, once again I thought I would ask.

I assume I am doing it somewhat correctly. But thanks for the input I did receive.