586,077 active members*
3,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Finally getting started.....
Page 32 of 48 22303132333442
    Pretty cool Pete. It's what I was already planning on building. Your's look excellent. I would like to see you use some HSS cutters to see the surface finish difference from Carbide and HSS.
    Jeremiah
    PM45 CNC Build in Progress

Maglin....

Hey man thanks for the kind words. Honestly I would try it but the finish here is almost a mirror as it is and the camera does not do it much justice. If you look closely at the video you can clearly see the reflection of my hand on the surface when it first comes out from under the cutter. I am very pleased with this and the best part is this thing can swing quite a large diameter so I can make most parts smooth and shiny in a single pass. I also made it heavy enough to be able to remove some material when I need to. If you look at the video I already had surfaced that entire block and the top surface of my vise jaws.... It runs smooth and quiet too. The video camera makes it sound louder than it actually was.

I am currently uploading another video that is unrelated and it will hopefully come out as good. We shall see...

I gotta get back on this power drawbar now that I got this done. I wanted to do this ever since I saw that flycutting done in the other video. It was also the first time I used the CNC mill/belt drive to do some deep cuts in stainless steel. It cut pretty good with my 3/8 four flute altho I had to be real careful holding just the shank of the cutter at the angle with it being held by the 3/4 shank only. Would not take much force to rip it from the jaws like that and that would not be good.. This was pretty easy to make and I have a couple more pieces of that stainless steel here that I might just make some more specialized holders to round out my collection. I am also making a larger toolrack but I needed this flycutter to surface my substrate for this project. It is just some MDF.... peace

Pete

Here is another video....

Sorry it is so dark.... peace

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV7cSVNUjsM"]YouTube - RF45 CNC solutions Fireside[/nomedia]

Pete

Well guys....

I got another little bit of time to spend running the mill today and decided to see what I could do with that new flycutter in steel. I was honestly quite amazed at the finish I got with it. It seems to like to run about 1200 rpm in steel at like 12-15 IPM feedrate. I was experimenting with DOC in steel and I can easily run it .020-.030 deep and probably deeper without any sort of vibration. I am really pretty pleased with this and basically turned a piece of cold rolled 2.0 inch round stock into chips for a little while. Have not tried it on stainless yet but we shall see. I ALMOST made a video of it running in steel for you but I was starting to thing I was boring you guys with videos.

Anyways, I am now FINALLY machining my new toolrack out of some 1/2 inch PVC plate I got from a friend when I cut it up for him. He gave me the drop and wanted to see how well the machine would do some deep envgraving in it for signs and stuff. It actually machines like butter really of course but the cutters I am using are probably better suited to metal. I am gonna whip out a router bit and stick it in a collet and try that to see.

The machine is STILL running great and no noise issues I guess anymore. I am sure glad that is over. I am gonna try to get back on the pneumatic drawbar cylinder machining tonight after dinner. Hope you are all well and peace

Pete

Hey Pete and others. Just finished reading this whole thread from start to end. Well, it's taken several days of reading for a bit here and a bit there.

I just acquired a ZAY705FG that is begging to be CNC converted. The machine itself is rock sold and barely used. I did all the inspection measurements according to guide on the Tormach website and it passed with flying colors, all but the column perpendicularity to the X-Axis, which shouldn't be to hard to correct when I feel like getting around to it.

I will start a build thread when the time comes. I've done 2 X2's and built a 24" x 24" steel router from scratch using servos. As you have said many times Pete, this machine is capable of doing 'real' work, and I'm excited to get going on the conversion. It will use ball screws and be servo driven.

Nice job on the fly cutter too. Did you use the crappiest butter hard set screws you could find to try to keep it in the spirit of the cheap Chinese ones? I broke down and bought a Glacern FM45 face mill a few days ago, anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

About your plexiglass dilemma, what kind of acrylic is is? Cast or extruded? Extruded is very difficult to machine without it melting. (usually has a plastic film on it). Cast stuff machines very well under a variety of feeds and speeds. (usually has the paper covering on it) Lifting to make a tab in the program doesn't cause any type of melting.

Last time I did a batch of plexi parts, I was running 140ipm, 0.05" DOC, 30k rpm, solid carbide 4 FL 1/16" EM. Looked like it snowed on my router and all around it. Those little end mills seem to go forever before they get dull too, then snap.

Anyways, great job on the conversion and thanks for writing about it. I will definitely be taking pointers from the stuff I've read here.

:cheers:
    Paul

Paul,

Congrats on the new mill. Having two X2's running under CNC should make it a little easier to make the parts for the conversion. I guess I should stop saying that about doing REAL work because I am probably annoying those with the smaller mills on here.:stickpoke I do honestly feel that way tho and that is coming from someone who has had a bunch of different milling machines. If you mean the setscrews I used, I used some from Mcmaster Carr and they were 1/4-20 grade 8 so no cheapo screws here. I would like to get the Glacern facemill at some point but really this flycutter should do everything I should need from that facemill really. I was cutting some steel round with it this morning and it really does a nice job.

I appreciate the kind words on the build here. It has taken a lot of time and no shortage of heartache to get it where it is today. It was definitely worth it and I would do it again but it was not exactly easy. I highly recommend the one shot oiler and some form of belt drive is also an excellent idea. I run mine pretty hard and it has not let me down yet. It is probably one of the best mods I have done here. Good luck with your build and make sure you post a build thread... If you need any help just give me a holler...peace

Pete

Pete. What do you mean we are probably tired of seeing video's. I want to see video's of the fly cutter killing some steel. I'm actually getting a little tired of seeing everyone milling aluminum. I want to see some steel cutting man. Especially that fly cutter.

I'm working on something that is going to be a in between of HSS and Carbide. So get the surface finish of HSS with almost the hardness of carbide without it being as brittle. So interrupted cuts won't hurt it so bad. It's more for cutting ballscrews but it's also going to do triple duty of fly cutting.
    Jeremiah

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    I guess I should stop saying that about doing REAL work because I am probably annoying those with the smaller mills on here.:stickpoke

Pete
    Maybe you could explain what "real' work is in your mind.
    You probably are annoying about 95% of the people on here with childish comments like that
    so why do it, why do it?
    This is a hobby forum and a lot of people do some incredible things
    no matter the size of their mill.
    What you may consider "real" work, some others would consider toying around.
    You are entitled to your opinions but maybe you should learn a little tact before voicing them.
    bill

Bjones....

You probably are annoying about 95% of the people on here with childish comments like that
    so why do it, why do it?
    You are entitled to your opinions but maybe you should learn a little tact before voicing them.
    bill

Well perhaps I should not... That would only serve to further the annoyances... It sounds as though you are one of those who I have annoyed so let's just forget this and I will make an effort to NOT say things like that to offend you.... Sound good? Unless you just want to pick a fight.... peace

Pete

Hey bro, that FM50 came in today. All I know, if it cuts half as good as it looks I'll be in heaven!!! Damn nice face mill.

Shame the inserts cost more than the Face Mill.

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    I got another little bit of time to spend running the mill today and decided to see what I could do with that new flycutter in steel. I was honestly quite amazed at the finish I got with it. Pete

On second thought....

On second thought I think I will tell you why I say that the RF45 machines are just big enough to do what I call REAL work. I will freely admit I am not a professional machinist. I have however been machining things manually for over twelve years now. I have made many many things in that time and also manufactured products manually for sale to offset my income. Many of these parts were relatively high precision including high pressure airguns and I even made an oiler for a turbocharged sportbike once. In that time I have bought and sold a whole bunch of different machine tools. I actually started out with a Shoptask 3-in- 1 machine. It was the first machine I actually did any machining on at all. I have also worked for a short time in two different small machine shops for other people. One was a mainly manual machine shop and the other was a home based CNC machine shop. The latter shop has now grown into quite a successful business called Keisler Automotive Group and makes all manner of parts for the Hotrod crowd. I have also been troubled with the fact that I have bought a bunch of different machine tools over the years that were LESS than capable. The SHoptask machine was a halfway decent lathe but the mill was laughable... I have even had a small knee mill here in my shop as well as a round column mill and a few other smaller chinese mills. When I first received my RF45 and started machining things with it I was quite impressed with the amount of steel it could cut and the fact that when I did cut steel with it, it did not vibrate and shake all around like some of the other machines I have owned. It even rivals the knee mill for rigidity that I sold recently. SO when I say that it is the best value in a benchtop machine and is the smallest mill that can do what I call REAL work it is simply that. It can take decent cuts in steel or stainless steel with a good sized cutter without shaking and vibrating and just plain cuts!! I can understand that if you have a smaller mill that may sound annoying or even arrogant but it is what I have come to find after being thru a bunch of different machines. SO in essence I am kinda trying to help others to get into a machine that is gonna be usable for most of the stuff people in general buy milling machines for. That is not to say that the smaller machines are not capable really, in fact as you pointed out there are a lot of fellows on here doing some AMAZING things with the smaller machines and if you are into making very small parts with precision there is an argument to be made that the smaller machines are better suited to that. There can also be made an argument that you can make small accurate parts on a big machine but you cannot make big accurate parts on a small machine. I am sorry if you feel my comments are " Childish" But I will not apologise for my opinion since I have been there with smaller less rigid machines and experienced the frustrations that come from trying to get it to do what I wanted in steel or taking forever to make a cut because the machine is vibrating like a tuning fork with even what would be a light cut on an RF45.

Let's face it, when it comes to machining in general, ALL of these mills are puny and weak when compared to Commercial equipment but for a garage sized mill with decent travels and good rigidity, it is pretty hard to beat the RF45 machines especially for the price. That is why you can hear me saying that a lot. It is my opinion for sure, but from what I have seen with smaller weaker machines, it is also a fact... sorry... peace

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by bjones View Post
    so why do it, why do it?
    bill
    Crikey bill, don't spoil the thread
    Chill!

Hey skinner....

Pics or it didn't happen man. Where did you buy the inserts and how much did everything cost?? Glad you got a nice one. If it is anything like those who already own then say it should be really nice. Did you get inserts made for aluminum? What sort of arbor are you using with it?

Maglin,
    I will probably continue making my boring RF45 videos for you guys to see or hell even for my own enjoyment. Who knows but I just wish I had a decent digital video camera so I can do it any justice. The ones I have been using are marginal at best and I know it.

When are you gonna be getting your machine did they say? Hope it is sooner rather than later for ya... peace

Pete

Pete -

I, for one, value your OPINION in YOUR thread

Helps me figure out where to go once I can purchase an upgrade from the x2

'over and out

Bill

Thanks Wild....

And you said it man, it is DEFINITELY, my own OPINION!! And I stand by it. Nothing wrong with the X2 really or any of the smaller machines as I have owned a few. Just don't expect a bunch of travel, or a bunch of rigidity. The other poster also made the comment that this is a HOBBY forum... Where exactly does it say that? I have never read anywhere that it is anything other than a BENCHTOP machines forum. Whether he wants to believe it or not there are a whole bunch of people who make MONEY with benchtop machines. Hell even the Tormach is basically a BENCHTOP machine. The RF45 is also a benchtop machine and these machines, all of them could put you into a small business or startup business doing custom parts for about anything you could imagine. Just because there are hobbyists here that play with their mills does not make it a hobby forum and does not preclude others interested in benchtop machines for purposes of making money. The RF31 machine is one that has shown it's face in a great many machine shops around the country. I am sure the RF45 is as well. Again it is that way because it is a very usable sized machine and can do real work for what most people use machines like this for. I really enjoy this forum and have learned a great deal from the posters here and a lot of them have some pretty cool ideas.... peace

Pete

I'm not trying to pick a fight but you seem to be.
    I'm wondering why you feel you need to :stickpoke the majority of the people
    on here that own a mill smaller than the rf45.
    THAT is the childish part and it really isn't necessary now is it.
    You are happy with your mill, congratulations, it doesn't mean that others aren't happy with theirs
    even if they can't cut steel as well.
    There are many considerations people make when choosing a mill and steel cutting
    is NOT a major concern for MOST hobbyists.
    Most people on this forum ARE hobbyists and some make money from their hobby.
    It's pretty sad that you feel it's necessary to denigrate them, that they are somehow inferior to you.
    Pretty sad indeed.
    If you want to get technical, who actually puts an rf45 on a benchtop, they should be in their own forum along with other standtop machines.
    bill

Man outside of the benchtop machine forum is a lot of expensive machine forums. I try not to venture out their cause it makes me want to get one. I need to take smaller big steps and stop trying to jump across a river if you catch my drift.

Pete. I'm waiting on the FED to give me the money I let them barrow over the year. The mill is in stock now. The lathe still has about 2 weeks before it arrives. I should have my cash by then. I put out the word (Craigslist) that I'm looking for a small benchtop mill to help me with my conversion. I'm debating on just going to HF and getting a X2 for the $500 sale price and use a 20% off coupon so I know it works. Do you think the RF45 base would fit on a X2 table and still be able to use an end mill? I want to flatten the bottom portion for the X nut and also to give a little more clearance. Then theres the hogging out of some of the base to increase the Y travel so that the spindle will stop at the back of the table as it does with the Acme set up.

I'm hoping someone with say a RF31 that has been sitting for a few years answers my ad. I know that would do what I want and make for a decent manual mill. I wouldn't think about CNCing a round column, but would definitely use one for manual work.

Skinner. Lets get that video up of your new toy. Do you have some steel by chance you would run it along. Hell do a side by side of Steel and Aluminum. Would be pretty pimp.
    Jeremiah

Bjones....

Hey man I think that you are taking this WAY too personally. I want to see where I ever said that I am SUPERIOR to anyone on this forum... In fact in most respects I think I have made it known that I am LESS experienced with this stuff than quite a few of the posters here. I HAVE been a hobbyist for quite a while but that HOBBY turned into a way to at least offset my income and now that I have had a relatively serious medical setback it has thankfully BECOME my income until I can get back to a fulltime job.

I really do not see where you think I am denigrating anyone here. Honestly I sincerely try to post my honest opinions here from my own experiences and that has been from all the stuff I have done and seen and owned. Perhaps I have said something that you took a personal offense to and if I have I do apologize. If it is nothing more than the idea that YOU think somehow I am superior to ANYONE regardless of what machine they or I own then I gotta say that you are sadly mistaken. There are all sorts of people posting here, with all sorts of machines, I would venture to guess that a bunch of them either are selling or have sold, or intend to sell stuff they make with their machines at one time or another. I also have a GREAT respect for what a lot of these guys do with their machines regardless of size and some are quite astonishing in the quality, attention to detail, and presumed accuracy of their projects. I truly try to emulate a lot of what I see here with my own machine. However I do want to let new people know what I have come to know thru trial and error that when it comes to machines tools with rare exceptions weight and mass are king. If all you ever want to machine is aluminum then you can certainly use a smaller machine but I think a lot of people get into this thinking that the machines can all cut steel and aluminum easily just because it is a milling machine and that is just not the case. It is not personal, it is not about being BETTER than anyone else, it is just my personal experience with quite a few different machines. I think that in itself entitles me to an opinion about what machines are capable for what most people use milling machines for... Peace

Pete

Talk about taking one line way out of proportion. It was taken backwards of what was said. We don't need drama on a cnc machine forum. It's like someone running their VMC and telling everyone with a benchmill that their Haas VMC can cut 3x DOC and 3x the feedrate of most the benchmills. Wait they do cause it does. But since the price difference is so great it's not taken out of context.

I've personally heard it from the horses mouth about the differences in steel cutting on a RF45 vs. a smaller mill. Ok so I'm done. /rant

I finally got a call today from Grizzly. My G0704 still isn't in. Said it's going to be a few more months. But I can come pick up my G0602 if I like. I was still thinking of getting the G0704 if they got it in. I was at work so I'm going to call and let someone else have the lathe and eventually the mill.
    Jeremiah

Maglin,

I have a CNCed X2 and working on my ZX-45 is hard to do. Take a look at the pic of the saddle on the X2 when I was cutting a spot for my X nut holder and you will see what I mean

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sad.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	129643

Page 32 of 48 22303132333442