586,398 active members*
3,057 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > K2CNC > My brand new K2 machine is real noisy...
Page 2 of 2 12
    I have received word from K2. They would like to send me a new ballscrew assembly for the Y axis. I think the original is bent. If that doesn't fix it then whey have agreed to take the machine back for a rebuild. It's going to be 3 weeks before I get the new ballscrew assembly. I didn't want to have to do the work myself, but it should be faster and cheaper than sending the machine back. It's progress anyway.

Good news from K2. Awesome looking spindle! I know it can be a pain to be so excited about getting the machine just to have to turn around and send it back for some repair.

I have one of the first K2 3925

My X axis is also gritty and was sent out a new ballscrew. My first was really bent.
    I was never able to get it quite. I think the long screw must bend enough to cause some noise tied in with the balls in the nut not moving well. I played with it for a while but never got it quite. It does not seem to hurt the performance other than I don't care for the noise. Y and Z are silky smooth.

Maybe someday I will get a newer nicer ballscrew for it. For now it works

taus
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Dude View Post
    It's going to be 3 weeks before I get the new ballscrew assembly.
    3 weeks??? Are they serious? I would insist they overnight the replacement part on my 11k machine...

Gary

I would have returned it.

They would have to ship a new one ASAP before I would reconsider.

There are so many machines you could have bought...

C99

What ever did happen with the machine???

I actually, for the first time, got a grease gun and put grease in the linear bearings...to my SURPRISE, my X axis is quite a bit quiter! I would never of guessed. I blamed it all on the ballscrew.. Don't get me wrong it is not like the Y and nothing like the Z but quiter. I would check those too, maybe mine needed grease a long time ago. Huh...
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

still waiteing for parts?

Quote Originally Posted by tauscnc View Post
    What ever did happen with the machine???

I actually, for the first time, got a grease gun and put grease in the linear bearings...to my SURPRISE, my X axis is quite a bit quiter! I would never of guessed. I blamed it all on the ballscrew.. Don't get me wrong it is not like the Y and nothing like the Z but quiter. I would check those too, maybe mine needed grease a long time ago. Huh...
    I thought you said everything was properly lubed....

I don't remember saying that...more assuming.... but in the number of years I have had mine I have never put more grease in the linear bearings. I will do so from now on. I have sprayed the X and Y axis with WD-40 on occasion.

taus
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

wd-40 is more of a de-greaser- it evaporates and leaves a residue that collects grime

Quote Originally Posted by laszlozoltan View Post
    wd-40 is more of a de-greaser- it evaporates and leaves a residue that collects grime
    It's mostly fish oil.
    I'd use graphite powder .

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
    It's mostly fish oil.
    I'd use graphite powder .
    I believe that's an urban legend. The MSDS for WD40 lists 50% solvent, and 15-25% petroleum oil.

Speaking of greases, K2, etc. I just got my K2 in, and was wondering - does anyone use "green grease" ( http://www.greengrease.net/ ) in their anti-backlash nuts? Any issues with using a synthetic there? I use it a lot in other projects, and would like to stick to one lubricant for greasing, if possible.

!c

CRC Tac2 is the shizzle for any of the sort of machine lubes required.

When we moved the company I could not use my lasers because the new location prohibited me from venting to atmosphere. I got the machine to replace the lasers. While fighting with K2 for some sort of help, I was also experimenting with fume extraction systems for the lasers. Long story short I was able to get the lasers back up and running making this CNC machine no longer a priority. Well it's been 11 months. The machine is still apart with the parts they sent me just sitting there. It not likely to get any more attention.

I would like to say that K2 might be helpful if you ride them hard. But don't think for a minute that they care about you or our business. They have made it very obvious to me that they are only interested in making problems go away. That doesn't mean fixing the problem, just making it go away.

Put it up for sale here, if no one wants it then ebay I guess; the longer you leave it sitting around the less resale value you'll get.

Page 2 of 2 12