586,094 active members*
3,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper Motor Question

Hello all,

I have a quick question I got 3 stepper motor from a friend that I have some quesions about.

The Specs are (As printed on the back of the stepper)

12 Volt
    1 Amp

PPS 0-200
    RPM 0-250

Made By AirPax

My questions are
    1 - @ 12v 1 amp what would you guess the oz power would be?
    2 - Does this sound like a adaquate stepper for a small cnc plasma cutter I am going to build.
    3 - Does the PPS (Pulses per second) make much difference and is 200 about normal?
    4 - Last one I swear!! It take about 24 steps for a complete rotation, that make it about 15 degrees per step right, isn't that really high??

Thanks for your help, These are the only spec I can come up with as I can't find any information on the web about it.

bcromwell,

Those steppers, if they are 24 steps per rev, will probably not be ideal. 12 volts is not ideal either.

If I were you, I would look for 200 PPR (1.8 degree step) steppers at around 1 to 2 amps and +/- 5 volts. These can be driven by an inexpensive driver board and power supply and will have good resolution/ torque.

I am guessing your steppers are low in the way of torque, probably in around 20-40 oz in.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Originally posted by balsaman
    bcromwell,

Those steppers, if they are 24 steps per rev, will probably not be ideal. 12 volts is not ideal either.

If I were you, I would look for 200 PPR (1.8 degree step) steppers at around 1 to 2 amps and +/- 5 volts. These can be driven by an inexpensive driver board and power supply and will have good resolution/ torque.

I am guessing your steppers are low in the way of torque, probably in around 20-40 oz in.

Eric
    Thanks for the info eric. I guess I will keep looking..

Bryan

Most drivers are just like a switch you put 12 volts on one side of the winding and you close the switch and the switch only sees the voltage between it's ground and its collector (if a transistor switch). Look at the specs on an inexpensive driver board and how they wire the stepper to it.