586,075 active members*
3,741 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > When does Haas offer their 5% discounts?

When does Haas offer their 5% discounts?

Don't they have factory discounts sometime during the year?

When ya walk into the factory with wad of cash!!

Usually, it's right after Westec, Eastec or IMTS.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe View Post
    When ya walk into the factory with wad of cash!!
    Dream on.

They have discounts around the time of Westec and IMTS.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

In parallel universes, thousands of miles apart, Geof and Greg were typing the same response. Spooky. :cheers:
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    In parallel universes, thousands of miles apart, Geof and Greg were typing the same response. Spooky. :cheers:
    Take your pick:

Great minds think alike.

Fools seldom differ.

if you buy one from haas factory outlets and would consider a factory reconditioned one they're 5% off. what happens is the showrooms keep new models around for 6 months, then clean them up make sure they're like new then sell them at a discount.

Do you have to attend to get a discount? Is it 5%?

I don't know if it's every time or not. Westec isn't until the end of March and I don't think there are any other big shows between now and then. No, you don't have to attend. I don't know if you have to 'know' about it. I can tell you that Mastercam does similar discounts. With them, you do have to know about it.

They had an inventory reduction sale, this month, last year. It was limited to a specific list of machines that were on their website (by serial number). My machine was delivered in November but was built in July. That's unusual for Haas.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    ... My machine was delivered in November but was built in July. That's unusual for Haas.
    Yes. I ordered a SuperMiniMill around the beginning of October and had I been ordering the standard version it would have shipped with a day or so because they have stock backed up. I wanted the raised Z axis so I had to wait for just over three weeks or so; which is also unusual. Methinks sales have declined somewhat over the past while.

Wait a little while and you may get discounts similar to what I did back in 2000 and 2001; quite a bit more than 5%.

Demo Days

HAAS typically offers some type of a discount during their Demo Days. I purchased my machine last year about this time and got a pretty nice discount.

If I were you I would call your local HAAS Factory Outlet and check with them and see it they are currently offering any discounts. Some of my discounts came directly from the factory and others came from my local HAAS Factory Outlet.

John

Thanks.

Yea, I'm just know ready to make the call. I've got the machine picked out with the help of a couple of guys here on the forum. I'm currently trying to finish up a construction project so I can make some more room in my shop for the VF2. Space is tight so I have to get that out of the way first.

I was just thinking that if there was a discount available in the near future, it might be worth waiting for. It's not a deal breaker, but I've got alot I have to purchase with software, tooling, not to mention the mill. I'm just trying to save a dime anywhere I can.

If you play your cards right, you can generally negotiate 5%. Get quotes on a similar machine from milltronics, etc. Make sure the other guys sales literature is visible when the haas rep visits, and tell them you are looking at other mfrs and you have appts later with the other reps. Then, play hardball, tell them what you will pay (quote - 5%), if they don't take it, thank them for their time. Then you won't have to wait long for them to come around.

I have been buying haas machines since 1998, VF-2, VF-4, SL-20LT+SB200, rotary products and most recently a VF-2SS (4 months ago), and on that we got about 6% off.

Also, if the machine is just a base model with few upgrades, or a mini, you can't do as well, since the margins on these are not as high. Non-hardware upgrades (Coord Rot/Scaling, Macros, HSM, QuickCode) are high profit options.

The aren't going to give it to you if you politely ask, they have to know/believe you are considering a competitors machine.

Don't be afraid to point out the differences that could sway your decision to the competition. And other items, such as; the change in pitch of the chip auger, which doesn't evacuate chips as well, the lack of filtered ventation on the electrical enclosure, the lack of paint on the electrical enclosure, and the lack of connector labeling as well. No filter between the pump and the coolant lines (if you use roughing endmills and do alot of alum) the Programmable coolant nozzle and all the others will plug with almost consistent aggravation including the washdown hose.

Sam

Think about your income as well and which year you'd like to have the tax write-off.

Unless you're producing mountains of money, I doubt you're going to use the tax break that Haas is advertising on their website. It would use up a large portion of your depreciation the first year. That means you'll probably do a 5-year depreciation plan on the machine. On a $60K machine, it's something like $10K per year.

If you have a surplus of income this year, you could enjoy your first year of that deduction, right now (get it delivered before the end of the year). If you aren't swimming in cash, it would be advantageous to push it out to January so the deduction applies next year.

The reason I mention it is you'll eventually have to produce a profit. That's why we get tax breaks. They want you to succeed so you can pay taxes. They expect you to show a profit 3 out of 5 years. That means you can show a loss the first two but you'd better make money (and pay taxes) the remaining three years. If you don't make a net profit, you lose the tax deduction for those other three years (which means you'll pay even more taxes when you do start making money).

I'm not a tax expert, but that's how I understand it and how it affected me. This close to the end of the year and I'd use the tax breaks to time my purchase. If you haven't talked to a good tax person, you should. They can help you with the strategy that would work best for you.
    Greg

Edit:

Posted in wrong thread, oops.