586,071 active members*
3,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

FYI Linistepper Experience

For anyone out there using a Linistepper controller, I'd like to offer some experience. I highly recommend these, by the way.

Recently, I had noticed my Z-axis motor making some strange noises when it was at rest, but powered. It sounded like static. I used it for several weeks like this thinking that it apparently wasn't a serious problem. I did finally find that it was a problem. Eventually, my Z started missing steps. Of course, this happened after I had walked away and was doing something else. It plunged into the table and ruined a two-sided circuit board that I was trying to isolation route. It had been running flawlessly for a year.

It took me a few hours work and an oscilloscope to find that there were two of the drive transistors (TIP122) that must have been heat damaged. The noise I saw on the scope was only on the outputs of the drive transistors and not from the smaller BC337 transistors. I assume that there was some breakdown going on in the NPN junctions that caused this. A good heat sink and proper thermal compound is a must.

All this to say that once they were replaced, I was up and running again. These are great drivers and I'd recommend them to anyone using unipolar motors. They work great. They really ARE easy to fix. Thanks to Roman and James for these controls.

Chad
    My Solsylva machine (my first cnc)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44336

Thanks for the kind words Chad, and congratulations on your machine. And you are totally right: Given a good heatsink, the linistepper does quite fine... without it, those drivers are going to fry, and then, for a few bucks, you replace them.

Hello;

I have been interested into see one linistepper's video showing steppers moving at different speeds. What is the maximum speed you can get from your motors?, what is your power supply voltage and motor current?

Thanks for sharing,

Kreutz.

Hi Kreutz, sorry but this is the only video I have, no rapids but the motion is so smooth.

I had a 30V motor supply, about 1.5A motor current.

Unfortunately the project got scrapped due to mechanical issues but linisteppers are waiting to be re-powered.

Cheers.

Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    Hi Kreutz, sorry but this is the only video I have, no rapids but the motion is so smooth.

I had a 30V motor supply, about 1.5A motor current.

Unfortunately the project got scrapped due to mechanical issues but linisteppers are waiting to be re-powered.

Cheers.

Russell.
    Thanks a lot, Russsell.

Best regards,

Kreutz

Hey Kreutz,

I run mine at 35V and 1.5A. My machine runs great. I don't have any video of it right now, but I could get some if you like. I have mine set up for half-stepping and can run at 25 ipm reliably. If I were to invest in some higher cost lead screws, I could probably get closer to 35 ipm. I'm running 200 oz-in motors 200 steps/rev and 5/16-18 lead screws = 7200 steps/inch. Never misses a step.

Chad
    My Solsylva machine (my first cnc)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44336

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy1015 View Post
    Hey Kreutz,

I run mine at 35V and 1.5A. My machine runs great. I don't have any video of it right now, but I could get some if you like. I have mine set up for half-stepping and can run at 25 ipm reliably. If I were to invest in some higher cost lead screws, I could probably get closer to 35 ipm. I'm running 200 oz-in motors 200 steps/rev and 5/16-18 lead screws = 7200 steps/inch. Never misses a step.

Chad
    Hello Chad;

Thanks a lot,

Kreutz.