586,096 active members*
3,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Need steel

Need steel

I'm having trouble finding a source for small quantities of steel such as tube, angle, and bar stock. Could anyone help me out.

onlinemetals.com ? Not cheap though.

Call around to a couple of local shops..they can probably tell you where you buy drops/salvage/scrap in your area.

As a previous poster mentioned onlinemetals.com or try speedymetals.com (nice because the prices are all right there)

Unfortunately steel isn't cheap anywhere... and even if you find a GREAT deal online shipping is going to KILL 'ya so your best bet is probably a local scrap yard.

good luck. If you find anything please let us know.

Scott

Alro has a retail shop in Ann ARbor MI that has what you want. They have some tolerance for tire kickers but they to NOT offer engineering assistance with regard to the sourcing or selection of materials. THey UPS daily, take the various forms of plastic and are pretty sharp when it comes to helping you figure out what you want/need.

If a lady answers, DON'T be condescending. SHe is sharper than most of the UofM engineering students who frequently clutter up the place THey have a good source of aluminum, steel and plastics for most any hobby. We buy our steel there and our stuff is anything BUT a hobby. THey can/will drop ship to you which is what we do all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony611 View Post
    I'm having trouble finding a source for small quantities of steel such as tube, angle, and bar stock. Could anyone help me out.
    If you have a Fastenal store close by check out what they have in their metals rack. I bought a 6061 aluminum round bar last week, 3/4" diameter by 72" for ~$23 including tax. The local store here has box steel tube, steel and aluminum angle, steel/aluminum/brass round bar, acme rod, all-thread rod, hex bar, etc. 3' and 6' lengths for some of it. Anything that Lowes Home Improvement has Fastenal has at a lower price. My local store will get me any small items I find on their website, usually at no extra charge.

http://www.fastenal.com/

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com