586,103 active members*
3,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Not sure where to post but guess what came today?

Not sure where to post but guess what came today?

I am so happy I just want to share this. Just received my batch of T6061 stocks. I am going to have field day making stuffs.

Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5808.jpg   IMG_5819.jpg   IMG_5820.jpg   IMG_5822.jpg  

IMG_5824.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by alexccmeister View Post
    I am so happy I just want to share this. Just received my batch of T6061 stocks. I am going to have field day making stuffs.

Alex
    Gooda place as any> :cheers: Got any plans for it and where'd you get it? I'm always looking for cheap sources of aluminum.

Rick

Thanks Rick. Not sure yet. But currently looking using these for some extension work I am doing for my X2. Its going to be similar to the Freak X2 of Hoss's.

As for where. I got these from Singapore. Its from this supplier

CHIN HUAT OFFSHORE SUPPLY PTE LTD
    723, GEYLANG ROAD (SINGAPORE 389634)
    Tel: 6748 6913 Fax: 6841 0736
    Contact a guy call Mr. Cheng.

It will cost a bit more to ship them in seeing you are in the States.

I bought a total of USD1200 plus shipping (USD180) at around 250kg. Worth to check it out. I think they do smaller quantity but your freight may not be worth it.

Alex

I bought a total of USD1200 plus shipping (USD180) at around 250kg. Worth to check it out. I think they do smaller quantity but your freight may not be worth it.

Alex
    Oh yeah I forgot to check where you were located. Man that is a lot of aluminum! About 550lbs of it!

I get my metal from onlinemetalsupply.com and speedymetals.com. Speedymetals are more pricey but you can count on them having it. Onlinemetalsupply.com have super prices but limited in stock on some measurements although even if I have to go a larger size they still undercut the the price for the exact size that speedymetals by a considerable margin. 99% of the time onlinemetalsupply gets my business.

Rick

.....I bought a total of USD1200 plus shipping (USD180) at around 250kg...Alex
    That is a good price, equivalent to $US2.50 a lb. Maybe I should see what his price is for large quantities shipped to Vancouver.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Hi Rick,

Yup, may be a bit far but mind you, freight charges may not be much higher than what I am paying. You just need to get in quantity. Do a group buy with a few others near you. Maybe get a tonne of the materials and split it when it get there. It will definitely be cheaper than buying online.

I checked a few of the metal suppliers you mentioned. The pricing for is around USD7 per kg, but with shipping, it shot up to USD40 per kg. Way too much for me. And max is around 20kg by airmail I think.

I am glad I found the supplier in Singapore just as I was desperately looking for one. Strangely in the yellow pages. And I was looking for other things at the time. Saw the ad by accident, called them and the rest was history. Very happy. I checked with a lot of hardware stores here but none of them knew or even bothered to searched for me for the aluminium. Well its their loss. If my hobby turns to serious biz, I may see myself importing T6061 quite often.

Hi Geof,

You should seriously look into importing from here unless you know of anywhere else it may be cheaper. As I say buy lots of it and share among fellow machinists. It will still work out cheaper. But bear in mind, you will have to arrange for sea freight yourself. If you need any help, I can point you to a company in Singapore who may be able to do it from there.

So I guess my new (used) band saw will come in handy now with the stocks behind my house.

Alex

By the way Geof, how much per pound you are getting in Canada?

Alex

By the way Geof, how much per pound you are getting in Canada?

Alex
    It varies depending on quantity but I think these days we rarely get anything below $US2.65 a lb and sometimes it is much more. I could be wrong on these figures because I have not been involved in ordering material for several years.

We buy through a local supplier who brings stuff in from all over the place; Singapore, Korea, Malaysia, China, United States.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.