586,072 active members*
4,683 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

It's been Decided!

It has been decided! After almost a year with the CNC Taig, it's time I install limit switches! Last night after machine/comp error!

While away from the machine, the machine decided to plunge into my table. I noticed this today! Put a nice hole in my table and in the process, also snapped my endmill in half!

Limit switches are next on my list of things to do with the machine! God, I hate when things like this happen.

Just thought I needed to get this off my chest (nuts)

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    It has been decided! After almost a year with the CNC Taig, it's time I install limit switches! Last night after machine/comp error!

While away from the machine, the machine decided to plunge into my table. I noticed this today! Put a nice hole in my table and in the process, also snapped my endmill in half!

Limit switches are next on my list of things to do with the machine! God, I hate when things like this happen.

Just thought I needed to get this off my chest (nuts)

-Jason
    I must be missing something..... How do limit switches prevent that, unless *all* your tools are the same length?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Because If I set the limit switch low enough, it will trigger the z-axis to stop before is wants to destroy my table.

-Jason

Ya! I would like to know as well how a limit switch on the Z axis will stop the end mill from damaging the table. I am going to install some as well.

....I never cut anything really that is that low to the table except for yesterday. The machine went haywire on me and put a hole in my table, if I have a limit switch there that will act like a Safety switch, the z-axis will never go down that far????....

-Jason

Longer Tools will always cut deeper.
    Regardless where you set your Limit switch to?
    Maybe you can setup a temporary adjustable Limitswitch, that can be positioned for a peticular toollength on a long/overnight program run.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Longer Tools will always cut deeper.
    Regardless where you set your Limit switch to?
    Maybe you can setup a temporary adjustable Limitswitch, that can be positioned for a peticular toollength on a long/overnight program run.
    Thats what I mean, in a way. But also, I will end up making my tools all the same length anyway for tool changes. So.....

-Jason

Go with Torsten's advice. Sliding limits, trigger or switch, are used on many industrial machines.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

cut depth......

ok speed custom I am new at this to so keep this in mind.....as far as I have seen thus far as you write your program of G-code you can establish a series of depth cuts and a piont at which to NOT cut below based on your Z zero in relation with your part depth......if I am off base just ignore. I have have my taig go bonkers and cut to much on a roughing/profileing pass but that was around 8mm deep in 6061 and it just stopped the psindle....make me jump like a rabbit in shooting field to....chuckles

Soft limits. use home switches (opto interrupters) on X and Y, but not Z. If you mill goes off the deep end often (more than once), maybe you should be addressing the root cause and not the symptom.

please document your progress. I've been wanting to add limit switches to my Taig as well.

A nice example of limit switches on a Taig check out the rest of the site too, lots of cool ideas.

[edit]Just to make sure there's no confusion, that isn't my site (although I do plan to ste... borrow some of the ideas[/edit]

Those are very nice & simple limit switch holders/adjuster, very clean on there install and function also. That whole CNC conversion/build is very clean with many great idea's.

I really like the tooling plate setup,relay box and monitor mount. I will use this design of the relay box on my own conversion, thank you for posting.

The little vise being used to build the limit switch brackets, is that the 1" vise from the Little Machine Shop?

I have a bigger mill plus a X1 I am CNCing right now, I am thinking about ordering the 1,2 & 3" screw less tool makers vices. They really seem like a great deal for a very nice vice. I can put all three sizes to use, and maybe even a few of the 1" units.
    The specs and the Hardened & Ground bodies,jaws, and ways really make these little units quite the bargain. I don't know if I will really need the 2" vice, I will order 1 each of the 1 & 3" and see how they work out. If the 3" will work out on my X1 that will be all I need for it, but having matching pairs can really be handy when used in tandem for long parts. The bad thing is I will need a full size milling vice for my big mill, shew this gets expensive.

It is very surprising what can be done with these smaller machines if one puts the time & right mods into them. I really enjoyed the website and that is one clean well thought out setup.

Jess