586,094 active members*
3,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Cannot get the motors to jog in the motor tuning...
Page 1 of 2 12

Cannot get the motors to jog in the motor tuning...

Im new to building and setting up cnc machines. I have power to all the motors, and the shafts will not turn, but motors will not jog in motor tuning. I have done all the necessary steps to set up mach3 according to the mach3 website video tutorials. The motors are getting warm to the touch as everything is powered, not sure if that is good or bad...

The setup I have is from Keling Tech 385 oz-in kit, with the 4030 drivers, 36v-8.8A power supply, and cnc4pc breakout board, all wired correctly...

One other question, I have a 5V dc power supply going to the breakout board, and I noticed when I plugged the 25 pin male to male cable to my computer, the light lit up, when the system was turned off... Is the printer port supposed to supply more power to the break out board?

Thanks!

Rob

Smile

Rob,

I am guessing you have a C10 if you purchased from Keling.

The motors should get warm.

The led should light when db-25 cable is attached to the P.C.

Do you have the enable jumper between +5 volts and the enable terminal?

Do you have a jumper or a Estop switch between terminal 10 and 5V

Do you have a instant messenger?

Jeff...

Yes that is the kit...

The led light is on when it is plugged in with the 5 volt power source, and when connected to the printer...

Yes, the jumper is between the 5 volt and "en" on the breakout board...

I will see if I can remember my msn messenger password... is that what you use?

There isnt a kill switch between pin 10 and 5v. Nothing hooked up there, it will happen in the future though...

I have also signed up for yahoo messenger (robtp27)...

Thanks for the reply!!

Just wondering....

Hi,
    Just wondering, have you made sure the port is set correctly in set-up and if so what about the step and dir pins....

hope it helps!

Yep... I feel I have a pretty good understanding of the step and direction between the drivers and breakout board. All numbers match what should be in mach3. Printer port is the right address. This is what is frustrating... and still no go... damn.

If I read you right, you are trying to jog the motors while in the Motor tuning screen. If so, you can't do that. You have to close out that screen. My Mach won't jog on some screens and surely not any of the settings screens.
    Lee

Yes, it still will not jog when I am out the config screens... It wont jog in any of the screens... I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong...

MDI check

Try to jog or MDI, say g0 x2 y2 z2.

Do the MACH DROs update?

You mention the steppers getting warm to touch, when you first power up and start MACH do they jump or do you hear them lock? Can you try to manually turn one of the steppers and note if there is any holding torque? And if you can turn them do they quickly latch at the next pole/step?

Quote Originally Posted by 123CNC View Post
    You mention the steppers getting warm to touch, when you first power up and start MACH do they jump or do you hear them lock? Can you try to manually turn one of the steppers and note if there is any holding torque? And if you can turn them do they quickly latch at the next pole/step?
    No, the DROs do not update with the G code. I moved one of the motors when it was off, then powered it back up, it jumped, and seems to be locked... I cannot manually turn the motor shaft when it is powered, but when it is off I can. I cannot turn them when powered...

I'm not being a wise guy, but is the MACH reset engaged?

I think your close, but something in the enable or E-stop chain would be my first focus.

Quote Originally Posted by 123CNC View Post
    I'm not being a wise guy, but is the MACH reset engaged?
    No, reset is taken care of, through the mach3 video tutorial. It does not show any error... Im not sure what to do...

I do not have an e stop wired or home or limit switch in on the c10 cnc4pc breakout board. It seems like the motors are in perminant e-stop. For the two inputs, should I be putting a jumper wire somewhere between them?

Smile

Rob,

Do you still need help?

Jeff...

yep, Im lost... I have checked to make sure mach3 is reading from the computer by checking voltage across the assigned pins, and that checks out. I think I might have a faulty c10 breakout board... I have noticed that when I power everything up, the motors have a high pitch, and they will not move. Setup in mach3 seems to be set up correctly to see some kind of movement from the motors.... Im lost.

Thanks for the help!

Smile

Rob,

Lets chat on yahoo and see if we can get your machine running.

Yahoo: alchemist135

Jeff...

Is the jog turned off? The DRO's should be changing, even if the motors are not.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Yes. the DROs are changing but the motors are not moving...

In ports and pins, are the pins assigned to port1?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 1 of 2 12