586,570 active members*
3,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cnc masters jr i need help

Does anyone have one of these(CNC Masters JR) and did anyone ever have problems getting the computer to notice the controller from the usb.
    I'm trying to install their software , but my computer doesn't even see their controller, so I'm stuck.

I've heard that people hate their software( Cnc Masters) and their controllers.
    I'd build another controller except for the fact that,their drivers and motors have no specs or anything to identify with.

I'd like to get it to power up on their software first, but in the event, it's impossible, i'd like to know if there is a way to teast the motors to see what the specs are.

I'd really appreciate any help form anyone.
    Thanks in advance
    mark

Good luck with your new mill

I dunno how I can help you but I can tell you that I have some motors here that only had a manufacturer on them and I was able to research the part number and manufacturer and get the information I needed. I have an RF31 mill drill machine that I think is similar to your machine altho mine is still currently a manual mill. Pretty good little machine and quiet compared to my Lathemaster mill. ANyways, if you can check the motors all over for a nameplate or anything as I would be real surprised if cncmasters made them themselves and find any kind of numbers or a manufacturer then maybe we can help you. I also do not know what drives they use nor have I any idea wether or not their control software is worth a damn or not. I can tell you that if all else fails you will not regret going with Mach3 and some gecko drives as that is what I am doing. Even if you use their drives you should be able to make it run with mach unless they are using some kinda brushless motors or they are too large to be run with geckos IE more then 80 Volts. From their website their machines look pretty nice, maybe you should contact them directly to see what they can do to help you as if they are worth their salt they should at least be interested in getting you to be able to use thier machine at all.... I understand you did not buy it from them directly? I doubt they would not at least try to help you, give em a call!!! peace....

Just checked their site.....

Does their control unit have USB support? I dunno if it does, maybe you should try to hook it up with a parallel port cable, also it looks like the machine has direct drive steppers with 1200 OZ in power, I am sure that is just max power but if that is correct that is a powerful stepper.... I suppose it would need to be with a direct drive setup like that. How old is this machine? peace....

Hey man.....

I just did a search on this forum for the cnc masters jr mill and found a thread that is called " CNC Master Jr. Mill major issues" In that thread the fellow had some problems with the mill that are kind along the lines of what you are experiencing and several very knowledgeable people chimed in. Dan Mauch has been inside the controller and found that the stepper drives were redone Gecko G201's or something and he had made new control units for a few people that have this mill and fixed their problems as well as he made some recommendations to what could be done to convert it to run on Mach3 and the same remasked Geckos. Their is a wealth of information here on this post as well as on this forum if you only look for it!! Good luck man and I will try to help you as much as I can....peace....

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    Does their control unit have USB support? I dunno if it does, maybe you should try to hook it up with a parallel port cable, also it looks like the machine has direct drive steppers with 1200 OZ in power, I am sure that is just max power but if that is correct that is a powerful stepper.... I suppose it would need to be with a direct drive setup like that. How old is this machine? peace....

You're way off there pete, this machine has 480 oz/insteppers. The problem is that they don't have aparalell port. They built these like this so you'd be force to use their control software.

This machine , like all of the one by CNC masters, uses a usb port only, no options, no choices.

Huh that is wierd because if you read thru that post and their website.....

It clearly says that the motors are 1200 oz inch and it seems they use those motors on their new dovetail column mill too altho they still motorized the quill instead of the Z column which frankly baffles me. The fellows on that post refer to having early models with parallel port control so I was assuming that he bought a used early model. Where do you get your information that says 450 oz inch motors? I rechecked their website and they are showing 1200 oz inch motors perhaps they are talking max power(which is to failure) and you are talking real power? peace man....