586,096 active members*
3,611 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal VMC 40 ATC malfunction

Fadal VMC 40 ATC malfunction

Okay... I have a VMC 40 and I am having some serious troubles with the ATC. When a tool change is entered in MDI, the ATC will move to the spindle but the tool will not release... Basically nothing happens once the ATC moves to position and I receive the error message: ATC will not move to home position.
    Is there a sensor inside the ATC that could be bad? is there a simple fix? PLEASE HELP! My business is crippled by this problem!

One thing that happened..

...to me once was the air manifold started sticking and you would hear a reptitive air cyling until it time out and error messaged, Are you getting that sound...or not even getting to that point in the tool change? Then I would think mayde it was the carrosel extended position switch (prox. sensor?) or a wire loose at the switch connection. I'm not using the proper names for these parts as I'm not where I can access the manual. I'm just pulling this off the top of my head. Also something has to tell the machine that the draw bar is released. I not sure of all the methods used without that manual in front of me.

Steve

This happened to me a couple of times and for the life of me I can't remember what it was.
    IDK that it was very simple to fix.
    Was it a reset on a card or a power down or.... can't remember..sorry..
    There is a prox sensor that detects the ATC stroke, sensor that detects the spindle orientation and sensor that detects the piston on the drawbar release cylinder, all are potential problem.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

ATC will not move to home position.

Check to see if the Z axis alignment was set at cold start.
    Use SETCS then HO, make sure markers are aligned.
    Make sure the turret moves without sticking due to chip debris buildup.
    Check the turret extended sensor for operation.
    You could do manual tool changes to work around the problem.

SRW

Quote Originally Posted by mrcslmd View Post
    Okay... I have a VMC 40 and I am having some serious troubles with the ATC. When a tool change is entered in MDI, the ATC will move to the spindle but the tool will not release... Basically nothing happens once the ATC moves to position and I receive the error message: ATC will not move to home position.
    Is there a sensor inside the ATC that could be bad? is there a simple fix? PLEASE HELP! My business is crippled by this problem!

Thank You All!

It was a combination of everyone's advice which help me to resolve my problem. First off the Z axis needed to be reset and further fiddling led to the deduction that the ATC sensor also needs to be replaced. Basically the sensor is only registering every so often which is causing my machine to error out. I was able to deduce this by using a magnet to trick the sensor and it was obvious when no reading showed up. However, we are running, um. . . limping along until the new sensor arrives. Much Appreciated!

mrcslmd--
    From what you describe, it sounds like the ATC Extend sensor is not reading or there is an obstruction not letting the tool change move into position. From Enter Next Command enter DI and press enter then DS and press enter. You will now have the sensors displayed on the screen. The ATCXTNDD sensor will show 00 if not activated and 01 if activated. To get this data off the screen use the letter X.

Neal

atc problem

Dear Boss,

I have next problem: when i try change the tools the procedure is start well, but when the Z axis must be go up 3.8inch the machine is go to emergency mode.
    The z axis all time go up just 34-35mm and tools half in the spindle and half is in atc. The machine was resetted total (battery removed from cpu card)
    in setp menu i adjusted evrything . (i hope).
    air we have enough,
    Have u idea what was wrong?
    MAchine is fadal 3016l with cnc88 hs.
    The z servo was removed too .

ThanksTomee