586,299 active members*
3,873 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V23 - Whats the deal?
Page 3 of 11 12345

Smile bobcad v23

greetings,
    I am a novice user of bobcad v-22. I have less than a year cnc cad/cam experience.I have gone from crashing bobcad Every time I use it to not crashing at all, and from basic 2d drawing to 3d modeling and assembling parts within bobcad. I can successfully generate and problem solve most of the g-code i create, and iam very happy with the support of machinists that use bobcad on a regular basis-forums are useful. Although I am not useing (nor am i ready) for the top levels of bbcd, I am trying to follow a regular routine of operation when drawing and setting toolpaths, one important one is cleanup and optomize. Ive also cleaned and edited the tooling tree and gone into milleditpost file and experimented with some Minor changes (more forum tips) and so far so good. I just purchased v-23 (2 seats) and cannot wait for the package to arrive-so i have been playing with the demo. Z level, equidistant , v-carve seem to me to be the great enhancements and I am looking forward to learning how to use them. To me no problem is unsolvable with patience, insight and perspiration, some do go away with a big hammer, but most can be solved simply.Most of my experiences with bobcad have been very positive and rewarding. Last year I could only imagine doing the drafting and cutting that i am actually doing now, so how could this be bad?
    Thanks for letting me ramble, but with all the negative press i had to say that I am happy and feel it was worth every penny! (yes i bought the training videos)

I personally have not had too may issues with Bobcad that could not be fixed as far as 2D or 3D posting. There are deffinitely issues with pocketing and 3d paths but I have learned how to avoid them most of the time.

It is harder to make bobcad to do everything everyone wants but then again it is 1/10 the cost of some other software. But has anyone read their forums? Full of bugs and complaints to.

Anytime a programs goes on clearance I would imagine that it would sone be replaced with a new version or that it was going out of business. Not a surprise by ay means.

Maybe one day Bobcad could setup and run every peice of equipment on the market. Until then try to see what it costs to get a specialized post for the $20k software. Some people need the complex paths Bobcad can't do. They need to look at cost verses setup/programming. Others have the time to be creative and need cheap software to keep them going.

To each his own. No hard fealings to those who love or hate it.

I would also like to mention that I am satisfied with V22. I'm not running a machine shop, but it's done everything I've asked it to.

Perhaps it's cause I'm doing relatively simple tool paths (I've not got the pro version with 3d tool paths), but it seems to just work, and with a good degree of stability.

I'm sure there are issues, but the price is far below what other software costs, so don't expect it to be as good! If you want cheap and cheerful, based on my experiences, Bobcad v22 is great.

I'll give the v23 demo a go, but there's probably no point me upgrading to it - unless the v22 pro upgrade is no longer available?

I got sucked in to buying the v21 with training video setup. But after trying to use the cad for just a couple of simple operations. I decided it wasn't worth my time. I dont even have the dongle hooked up to the machine anymore. But will Bobcad sales quit calling me. NO I tell them every time I dont use it and dont want it. But they keep calling at least once a quarter. I guess I ought to find somebody willing to pay the transfer fee and sell it cheap.

I have had very little problems with 21 and 23 seems good so far I skipped 22, but cmon they price it right and its the right choice for alot of people.
    Randy

IMHO there would be a lot less hate if BobCad were a little easier to use. I've worked in software for ten years and have taught myself to use every software package under the sun... but BobCad (V22) beat me. I had to go back and order the training videos in order to have any chance. I know in my business that ease-of-use is a necessity because it reduces my support costs, and good support is never cheap. If you're building to meet a price point you either need to charge people extra for good support (thus raising your price in the end) or make the product require less support to begin with.

Coming from the S/W industry I also understand that design tends to get set in stone pretty early on. Once you commit to a path it takes millions and years to undo that and very few companies can or will make that commitment. Particularly if you're building to meet a low price point. BobCad's main competition would seem to be themselves--they have to keep the S/W cheap enough that people don't bother to seriously consider the more expensive stuff.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMc0 View Post
    I would also like to mention that I am satisfied with V22. I'm not running a machine shop, but it's done everything I've asked it to.

Perhaps it's cause I'm doing relatively simple tool paths (I've not got the pro version with 3d tool paths), but it seems to just work, and with a good degree of stability.

I'm sure there are issues, but the price is far below what other software costs, so don't expect it to be as good! If you want cheap and cheerful, based on my experiences, Bobcad v22 is great.

I'll give the v23 demo a go, but there's probably no point me upgrading to it - unless the v22 pro upgrade is no longer available?
    Available? Its on your computer already. you just have to convince them to unlock it.$$$ They emailed me a code and presto I was a pro.:rainfro:

maybe BOBCAD is good and maybe is not so good. But hey CAD/CAM is a complicated field and believe it or not it is not INTUITIVE no matter what package you have. I dare anyone with a gripe to get their hands on a copy of MASTERCAM and try to figure out how to create geometry and get tool paths. I dare say most if not all will be lost in the fog. These software packages have very very steep learning curves. I just finished 3months of night class in MASTERCAM V9 and now I can easily generate 2d geometry and perform all required machining ops. 3 months ago this was not possible dispite having training in Autocad and other CAD/CAM packages. It takes effort. Oh by the way even the latest most stable release of MC V9 has bugs and glitches and wierd things that happen for no reason.Version X was even worse and most fell back to V9 .Imagine how pissed you would be had you spent the $10k or so to have MASTERCAM. V23 can be had for under $400 if you haggle and if you make the effort to learn it it will generate good toolpaths that make parts that make money. Is BOBCAD guilty of high pressure sales? Well absolutely but the double edge to that is the deal you can haggle from them. Maybe just maybe many of the problems are not with the software but with lack of knowledge on the user part. Please be sure to put the blame where it is due and always always backplot any code before going to your machine.

Enough said, have a great christmas or whatever your holiday season

Gerald

Well said.

On that same note. I installed V23. In 30 minutes I had my first code. A couple test cuts later I had trouble free code (speeds and feeds mostly worked out). Then made a two part program each in different WPCs and 3D milling with 4 tools. Before the first day the software had doubled its cost in return (even after overhead).

I only made one change to the post (tool change for our machine needed customized ...mazaks..geeeee). The parts looked great and the customer gave us more. This week covered our shop salary for the month and next week I hope we can get more work. Running parts like that makes my boss happy and I have a job next week.

Happy to see the satisfied users comments... Congratulations Chris

Quote Originally Posted by The Engine Guy View Post
    OK, $400, fine, -------
    The software may not be the worst or most expensive but the Company and the way it treats it`s customers is probably gettng close to the bottom of the pile!!

I think the management of BobCad is on right track now and really i see the clear difference of their attitude and working philosphy...

Currently they are really working hard and provide their services at the best.... In past there were many weeping faces but now i see smailes on there customers... the thread speak itself..

NOTE:
    I have nothing with Bobcad management nor their product. This all is my personnel opinion as i saw these thing many times in past....

I doubt it was a slap in the face for anyone by recounting my past week's experience. Yes I have helped many others with V22 and I did make many good parts from V22. I also had many problems and many were resolved (not all by any means).

Yes V23 seems to be a what V22 should be now but that is the way most companies do when they have a bad rep on a version (the school of microsoft I believe). Not defending Bobcad nor am I praising them. Simply my first week with V23. The cost of the software is very cheap and I went in not expecting MC features for that price.

I feel sorry that you have such bad feelings you need to take them out here but I am sure we all have at times. Maybe better luck if there are any jobs left in the US after our companies give them all to other countries. In truth that is the main issue with our company. Free trade has ruined our customer base and work is hard to find.

Well Merry Christmas and hope you make a million this year to come.

TJones: What is MC features?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stampede View Post
    TJones: What is MC features?

Thanks.
    If I had to Guess it would only be 1
    MasterCam
    "I'll keep my gun, my ammo, my money, my freedom and you can keep the "CHANGE" !

Yes of course.

MC=Mastercam
    AC=Autocad
    SW=Soldworks
    BCC=Bobcad/cam

Many more but it was just a reference mostly because MC is considered the top of the line in the cam industry. (others though may argue)

That's what I thought after posting. So V23 is that much better?

Thanks.

V23 added some 4th axis, ramping (in one feature), a few more fixes, etc..

So it really has to do with what you need.

Tjones is absolutely right
    watch the videos on you tube of bobcad this one guy takes you through cad cam and actual maching of parts he designedand he is using 22. instead of complaining he worked it to a solution. I happy bobcad exists. learn it, use it and find the work arounds.
    Randy

Page 3 of 11 12345