586,369 active members*
3,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V23 - Whats the deal?
Page 2 of 11 1234

Angry Up-Grade?

Chris R.

I'm still waiting for fixes for "version 22 update 1137". I was so aggravated with the 1137 update and suggested work arounds I stopped using the so called software (fix ware) and decided to wait for another fix. I thought that BobCad was working on-------------maybe trying to give the customers a working product, then here comes the "for a few dollars more" just look what we can do with version 23 spill. Had I read these forums enough to know better than to buy BobCad? Yes. Had I not laughed at others that had been fooled? Yes. I guess that there is no fool like an old fool and there is always another sucker just waiting to part with his money.

You might close this post and ban me from this forum but the fact remains the version 22 software does not work correctly. Pockets still do not machine correctly. Material is left in the pockets and sometimes will throw in an occasional arc move.

Toolbit

I can't agree more with some of the irate guys here. Tonight, I wrote a lengthy drawing and cut file, and half way through the part, the gcode cut my part out. I went back over everything and V22 decided not to follow the tree as I had programmed, skipped over a whole bunch of tool changes and other cuts, and went straight to the final cut, I can only guess because it was the same tool number. Is Version 23 going to do that too?

Some people will never ever ever ever ever learn. You get screwed once you get screwed twice so get screwed a third time. Everytime there is supposed to be answers but never happens. One thing has got to be for sure, Bob if he is the true owner, is a very rich man. Little money into development + thousands of ripped customers = lots of money. I am glad I didnt follow suit after I messed up once.

I fore one am glad Bobcad released V23....it was getting kind of boring in the on-line forums...

I think the comments posted here correctly reflect the situation with BObcad products.

If anyone purchases Version 23 after reading concerns that customers have had with version 22 and expect to have a different experience with Bobcad then they should not have any reason to complain.

The warnings are loud and clear do not buy version 23, it will not be supported just as version 22 has not been supported by Bobcad

I'm starting to receive calls ...

...BobCad sales again... about V23, even after explaining to them I was unhappy with their 2007/v22 product (PS - I've had it since V17)) and that I had dropped it completely because of that particular release and the response by them afterwards. Workarounds and poorly released unworkable patchs were not, in my mind acceptable.
    What would be the answer to the BobCad problem? H#ll... I really don't know... BobCad, you guys created the problem..now you have to regroup and fix it before you go bellyup.
    The only thing I can think of that might get me to spend the time taking a look at 23 would be maybe this:
    Send a licenced nontransferrable verson of V23 at no cost to those who bought 2007/v22. Would I respond to this if they called or sent a note??? I'm not sure... I would really have to think about it.
    Steve

Just a consencus how did you guys feel about 21?
    I liked 21 it did everything as I expected. lathe was ok but I used it and it worked. I did not get 22 but then I was happy with 21.
    Thanks Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    I liked 21 it did everything as I expected. lathe was ok but I used it and it worked. I did not get 22 but then I was happy with 21.
    Thanks Randy
    It was a little cumbersome until I figured it out, not very intuitive. Without the training videos I would have been lost.

Plus side is that it would do EXACTLY what you asked it to do as you have found. No more or less. Consistent results (good or bad). I liked it. I still use it to verify G-code from V22 and on 99 percent of my 2.5D programs. Scripting is cool too, I use it for things other than CAD and G-code. I doubt I will ever find anything to replace it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    Thanks Randy
    I still use it,almost on a daily basis, I trashed 2007/V22 along time back !!
    2007/V22 BAD TIME AFTER BAD MONEY. I did find a use for it, I use the disc as a coaster for beer look @ my avitar (pic)
    "I'll keep my gun, my ammo, my money, my freedom and you can keep the "CHANGE" !

Posted on Bobcads update site:

Unresolved Issues:
    1. The integrated 3D Lathe Animation is broken at this time. The 2D view in
    Verification is available. Those users who have purchased the upgrade
    modules for Verification will not have this problem.
    2. Printing with Vista and GeForce 8 series cards. The issue where the
    system prints a black page is still being worked on. The user can disable
    the graphics acceleration on the computer in order to print.
    3. Pocketing Irregular Shapes
    1. When pocketing irregular shapes if the tool diameter will not fit
    between an island and the pocket wall the system will occasionally
    fail to trim the finish passes properly.
    i. Resolve: Change the Finish Tool diameter to something more
    suitable for passing between the island and the wall.
    2. When pocketing irregular shapes with the Offset Pocket In and Out
    options occasionally the path will leave an area of the part unmachined.
    i. Resolve: Use the Lace ZigZag pattern to rough the pocket.
    4. Profile
    1. Using Rounded Corners: In some cases, if the tool width is equal to
    the width of a channel or concave arc, the trimming of the corners
    fails and produces a small movement that could violate the part.
    i. Resolve: Changing to Straight corners will eliminate these
    errors.
    5. Stock Geometry
    1. Deleting stock geometry for turning and wire edm stock is not
    reflected in the workspace.
    6. The Pocketing operations are constantly being worked on for improvement.
    If you have any questions or concerns about this update please contact
    BobCAD-CAM Technical Support directly at 727-489-0003.
    BobCAD-CAM Development TEAM
    BobCAD-CAM, Inc.

Are these issues fixed in V23? If so, where is the fix for V22? If not then you want us to purchase more of the same problems. How come V2007 didn't have the 4th axis indexing like I was told by Brian Oliver that it had? No, I didn't get it in writing, don't you record sales calls? If so, let's pull some up and listen to them. I should not need it in writing, your sales staff should only tell what the software has, not what the customer wants to hear. I would like more information on the 4th axis milling operations, and no, not from a "download and see for yourself", I want it in writing with a detailed description. I can't see the code from a trial download, so how will I know that it will work on a real part?
    I like Bobcads software for the most part, I don't like the sales tactics used to sell it, then I have to deal with the "why won't this do what I was told it would". Where is the extensive manual that I should have with my software? Don't give me the "buy the videos" line either, detailed descriptions of how everything works, with some examples, in print(everything must be in writing, right?) I like V22, but it still needs to be fixed so that everything works correctly, as it should. You should not need to know work arounds for the software, it should do what it is supposed to do.
    Oh and by they way, how come you didn't include in your updates pdf that now you need an internet connection to calculate the z-level or equidistant operatons? I don't have internet access in my office so how do I use this portion of the software?

All looks very good with the new features, but no doubt you will have to buy the top level to get most of them as usual from BobCAD.

According to the sales pitch V23 comes with everything, no extra modules like other CadCAM sellers, you just have to buy different levels with BobCAD!!
    I ask what`s the difference??? Still have to fork out more cash???

I was very happy with bobcad V21. I have been using Bobcad since V17.
    I would like to see them go back to a similar system. I have not been able to use V22 at all. I always try to do a job on it but I get frustrated and go back and do it on V21 in half the time I had already spent in V22. Not going to upgrade to V23 until I here some reports on what does or doesn't work.
    BL

Quote Originally Posted by bl409 View Post
    I was very happy with bobcad V21. I have been using Bobcad since V17.
    I would like to see them go back to a similar system. I have not been able to use V22 at all. I always try to do a job on it but I get frustrated and go back and do it on V21 in half the time I had already spent in V22. Not going to upgrade to V23 until I here some reports on what does or doesn't work.
    BL
    The learning curve going from the older style of V17 through V21 to V22 is very steep, I hear where you are coming from, I also still use V21 most of the time but as I have got more used to V22 I do find it pretty easy to use. My only reservations are the "bugs" in the software which bother me enough for me not to use the code from V22 directly to my machines, I often use V21 to "backplot" the code from V22 especially if I`m having problems with the V22 verification graphics which seem to have a mind of their own!!!

If it`s working right and you are used to it then V22 IS faster to use, just takes a while especially if you don`t have any training videos and/or been able to afford the cash and time to go on a training seminar!!
    V22 is a totally different way of working so the shift over is never going to be easy!!

My advice, keep "having a go" at V22 when you have a little spare time but for the time being if you can get code into your machines and get running faster with V21 then that`s what I did and it works for me.
    When I have something working in V21 I try to make the same part in V22 and like I said then "backplot" the code into V21 to check both me and the Post Processor have got it right!!!

Rob

I own version 20, it works ok for the most part. I have been watching the new versions since and am glad that I haven't upgraded. I just got a call from a salesmen that told me V22 was dumped. After all the hype that they were going to fix that version and they dump it. He wanted me to upgrade to V23. He gave the same kind of BS that I got for all the previous versions. I have to say that I'm very disappionted in this company.

Engine Guy,

I am continuing to push forward with V22 and making small advances. Have you used the training videos? If so do you feel they are worth the money. Thanks BL

Engine Guy,

I am continuing to push forward with V22 and making small advances. Have you used the training videos? If so do you feel they are worth the money. Thanks BL

Hi BL

Sorry, can`t help you with the videos, never used them so you`ll need to get an answer from someone who has!
    I have heard they are pretty good, I had a set with my old V18/V19/V20 and they were good, after that I just got the big 550 page manual with V21 but that was good as well.

I have also heard that the training "days" are worth doing but I don`t know how much they are and of course if you`re like me a "one man band" then getting the time to go to one is just a dream!!!

Regards
    Rob

The training was good. Sorin did a good piece by piece instruction of all functions. Negotiate price. Some guys in class paid a quarter of what others did. Same with software and extras. Couple guys were a little miffed, but hey, some people haggle and some pay list price.

Engine Guy,

Hi
    I got the videos. They are definitely a big help. It would have been very difficult, I feel, to pick it up without them (but then this is my first CAD system so it might be different for someone with more experience.)

BobCAD has a getting started manual that can be downloaded for free from the website. It steps through a couple of examples and explains things very well.

Quite frankly I got more value from the Getting Started Manual than the videos. But I was already familiar with drawing products and only needed to know the workflow concept to get going.

The videos do not teach you how to use the product, they simply describe how to use each function. It has no training component, no examples to work through and is really just a video style help file.

Im pissed i just upgraded to pro two day ago and now there is a new version these guys need a good class action lawsuit .Talk about being ripped off and then they had the nerve to call me and try to sell me v23 i told them v22 is full of holes and all they did is put some patches in v22 and a few new dangaly bitts and call it v 23.The 3d is a bunch of junk and failes more than it works some of the worst tool paths in the industry.

Page 2 of 11 1234