586,560 active members*
3,948 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > finding v23 latest update very unstable

finding v23 latest update very unstable

so far with bobcad I haven't had any issues in creating 3d toopaths , models etc , I've had the odd crash but generally not much trouble
    but this has gone to hell since I've installed the latest update . it will crash randomly while creating a toolpath , it will randomly crash while posting the toolpath , it has crashed on me while doing simple models in bobart , I'm dropping this and downloading a previous version , because this is too fragile for my liking

I'm not b#%#ing about the software , I'm just curious if anyone else having the same issues with this update ?

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Hey Dert... I've seen some issues with it.. For me, it was working with other peoples files they posted they were having troubles with.. WHen I create one from scratch, I dont seem to get the issues..

I have some conjecture, that shouldnt make sense, but seems to be "real" for me at least.. With a file I was working with just the other day, the "display actually affected the geometry!" In other words, with a coarse display setting, you would see things like "spheres" become faceted, right? But then performing some booleans, the trim curves were created "matching the display " Re-smoothing the display angle didnt change things back to smooth and left the "bad trims" as they appeared with the course display angle!!! Now, this could be just a "display issue" and the created underlying geometry could be normal, but further booleans would fail on the piece...

This has been a personal theory for me, as i dont really know the internals of BobCad, but it seems that display issues can affect and propogate through files.. They may be storing something with regard to this in the files...

For me, I am very careful with my Video drivers, by getting the latest ones on, very "cleanly" (jumping through extra hoops etc....)

ALso, I work with my display settings "very high"... Just a hair from maxed.. This has my machine max with about 100mb bbcd files. Above that, I would have to go way down on this.. But I dont regularly work with extremly large files...

I am actually going to attempt to install build 1812 in a seperate directory, and run both builds side by side... If this works, I will do most of my work in 1493... The advantage of 1812, is the 3d toolpath calculation has been optimized. For me, it does work with this regard, but you mentioned it's not working for you.. The only downside to the 1493, is some of the 3d toolpaths are heavy calculations..Old computers may choke (unless you adjust the system to deal with it. I think thats all they did was do the adjustment internally)

My 2 cents.

thanks for the reply
    I hadn't thought of running thru a different directory to try the two side by side , I'll do that and even if I do the same as you and run two versions then my trouble should be shortened .
    my pc is well built so it's certainly not an issue of this being an old pc with old or crappy graphics , pc choking on the older version won't be a problem , I will play with the display settings and see if that makes a difference
    I was getting into the habit of saving every so often because of the crashes but the sob even crashed when I was saving my work lol .
    I've put the other versions thru some pretty hard runs and my troubles have been minimal . right now I'm doing a pile of molds so stability is a must have thing
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

If you can generate the toolpaths you need with 1493, then not too much other reason to go up.. The only reason I have 1812 on is to open files from 1812! Hahaha.

Sounds like you have a good computer.. Still want to become friends with your cards drivers site.. They are constantly putting out fixes for opengl issues and such... ALso, as with anything, newer ones can break things that worked before too... Just an area to give some quality love too...

talk later

I'm back to using the 1766 build , I tried the 1478 build and it creates the toolpaths way to sloooow . 1766 is what I've been using since it came out and the issues have been minimal (at least for what I've been doing)
    so far so good with this build since a reinstall , it works quick and seems more stable than the latest version

I have some issues with 1812 too. Most of my problems seem to be if I put a value of "0" in the diameter of a roughing or finishing tool, it wont generate the code. Then it procedes to send an error to MS. I also recognize some form of an issue with contouring. At times it wont allow me to select the geometry. Erase the contour and it will select just fine. Weird and it doesnt always do that either.

Hi All
    New to the market of BobCad need a training CD. Where and how do you get one? Would be greatful for the support.