586,075 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

OLD SHOP BOT PR

The Shop Bot has been in the shop for months now,and work is slow.
    I planned to get the G540 Gecko but money is tight. Now I just wont to get it up and running. The motor's are model 266-02A vexta 1.8/step. I'm new to the cnc world. Been checking E-Bay and there is a 4 Axes board for $129.00
    Resolution: Full step, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, selectable via pin for each axis.
    max 2.5AMP@36VDC max 90 watts out power per axis
    PC parallel port DB25 connector has being installed onboard.
    Full adjustable stepper motor current.
    Supports different 4 Wire, 6 Wire and 8 Wire stepper motors for 3 axis drive.
    This board is tested through KCAM, touborCNC CNC software.
    This board has been used in different design 3D engrave machines, millers, routers.
    1KV, 10 Mbps high speed Optocoupler for full elimination to protect Computer and driver board.
    Step Current(r) Technology included: Step Current technology is used to decrease
    the current upto 1/2, when motors are in idle for all axis
    so as to protect expensive step motor and driver board for long time running.

The power supply also on E-Bay
    1: High Efficiency, Low Temperature, Small Size.
    2: Over Load and Short Circuit Protection.
    3: Over Voltage Protection.
    4: Input: 120VAC/220V,
    5: Output 36VDC/8.8A

For now I would use it to cut 3/4" melimine and drill peg holes Will this board and ps work an what kind of speed would I get from this bd.I need help on this.I know I should wait an get the G540. I'd just like to get it running for now.
    Thanks Tom

Tom

$129 is almost half the cost of a G540. I know nothing about this ebay drive, maybe posting links to the drive and power supply in question would help. I doubt it is as durable as a Gecko setup and I guarantee that you will have much better support with the G540.

You will be hard pressed to find anyone who will help you get the ebay board working. There are hundreds of satisfied Geckodrive users here, as well as the owner of the company!

Shopbot is now using Geckodrives as well. My dad just bought a new control box for his shopbot which is using 4 Geckos.

My advice would be to either eat mac & cheese for a month and buy the G540 or wait until you have the money to do it right the first time. You will not be disappointed.

I have bought about 15 Gecko drives in the last 2 years and have had zero problems to date.

Matt