586,104 active members*
3,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Tormach Arirval!

I just helped the guy from New England Motor Freight unload my PCNC1100-SII and Deluxe stand!!

I've got to go back to work and to a Bruins game tonight... can't wait to get back and start unpacking!!!

The first comment I have is that pallets crated up in China use a different spacing for their pallet jacks. And of course it was a royal PITA muscling the machine onto the gate lift when part of the skid was practically dragging.

Needless to say, it is safely sitting in my garage. More to follow!

Anxious

I feel for ya, my PCNC is in transit so today I'm cleaning, clearing and rearranging the shop in anticipation. Man where did all that stuff come from!
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Congrats to both of you. I love my machine and I know you will too. Good luck and happy cutting.

Barry

Forget cutting the pallet like they show in the video - just put the pallet skids on a couple of 2x4s and you can slide an engine hoist right under the pallet.

Quote Originally Posted by _swede View Post
    I just helped the guy from New England Motor Freight unload my PCNC1100-SII and Deluxe stand!!
    Where in New England are you. Hanover High School Hanover,Mass. bought a Tormach for their industrail Art Classes

[
    swede:

I just did that same pallet dance yesterday too! LOL!! Once I got it off of the pallet it got real interesting getting it through a 36" door, but was successfull with the help of a pallet jack, engine hoist and a few friends. The moving diagram on the Tormach site was very helpful in convincing my helpers of the proper dance steps to get it through the door.

John your tip on raising the pallet up to avoid cutting the pallet would have been simpler indeed and would have saved considerable effort.

Of course my weight lifting 18 year old College student son who can press 300 lbs didn't get home until after all of the fun.

I had never seen a Tormach other than on the net and I must admit, it is a good looking machine.

Now the fun begins.

QUOTE=_swede;529423]I just helped the guy from New England Motor Freight unload my PCNC1100-SII and Deluxe stand!!

I've got to go back to work and to a Bruins game tonight... can't wait to get back and start unpacking!!!

The first comment I have is that pallets crated up in China use a different spacing for their pallet jacks. And of course it was a royal PITA muscling the machine onto the gate lift when part of the skid was practically dragging.

Needless to say, it is safely sitting in my garage. More to follow![/QUOTE]

I finally broke down the crate/pallets and upacked the Deluxe Stand. I am finishing up the drywall in my new "office" where I'll be installing the machine. I cannot wait to get it in there! I'm going to do a functions check of the machine before I move it though, just in case anything was DOA.

Thanks for everyone's input. I was able to learn a lot about the product before I bought it simply by reading these threads. Good stuff! I look forward to contributing more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by HMB3000 View Post
    Where in New England are you. Hanover High School Hanover,Mass. bought a Tormach for their industrail Art Classes
    I'm in southern NH. Merrimack to be exact. I was just PM'ed by someone else who apparently organized a group of about 40 CNC enthusiasts who get together from time to time. He's going to keep me informed of the next meeting date/location. I can pass the info to you if you're local...

I take it you're from Hanover? Or near there?

Swede I'm south of Boston. I know thier are 4 other Tormachs in the Greater Boston area. About 2 years ago it was only mine. Have fun with the machine.

Arrival

Well mine will be delivered 11-26-08, I have a perfect spot clean out for it in the shop. Worst part is I will be on travel all next week and not get to do any playing til the weekend as in Dec. 6-7. Not sure how the little lady will like that after being gone all week. Oh the troubles we face.

Hahaha. It's times like this that we really need to re-evaluate our priorities in life.

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    Well mine will be delivered 11-26-08, I have a perfect spot clean out for it in the shop. Worst part is I will be on travel all next week and not get to do any playing til the weekend as in Dec. 6-7. Not sure how the little lady will like that after being gone all week. Oh the troubles we face.

cmacclel Guest
    Swede I'm south of Boston. I know thier are 4 other Tormachs in the Greater Boston area. About 2 years ago it was only mine. Have fun with the machine.
    Where are the locations of the other machines?? I'm in Saugus, MA which is about 10 minutes north of Boston and would love to check a Tormach out. I just ordered a CNC Lathe that is supposed to ship Dec 11th.....the 5 week waite is killing me

Mac

Smile

HMB300,

I am also south of Boston. Maybe you can send me a PM so we can get in touch. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I treid to send you a PM, but it seems you opted out of this feature.

benji2505

Quote Originally Posted by benji2505 View Post
    HMB300,

I am also south of Boston. Maybe you can send me a PM so we can get in touch. Your help would be greatly appreciated. I treid to send you a PM, but it seems you opted out of this feature.

benji2505
    benji you can find my contact info on Tormach Website on the consulant page. My company is Lakeside Design of Mass. please feel free to call. I'm at Hanover High School today doing a class on cad/cam. But have some open time before the holidays. Just to let you know I will not charge for a simple question over the phone. I get a few call every month from all over the world from people asking question about the Tormach. I shut off my PM because of some messages from a former monerator of the Bobcad forum.

Quote Originally Posted by cmacclel View Post
    Where are the locations of the other machines?? I'm in Saugus, MA which is about 10 minutes north of Boston and would love to check a Tormach out. I just ordered a CNC Lathe that is supposed to ship Dec 11th.....the 5 week waite is killing me

Mac
    Hey Mac, just curious how the waiting is coming along? Hah. It can be painful, I know. What make/model of CNC lathe did you purchase anyway? A buddy of mine has been scouring the market for a CNC lathe for his home machine shop. He's only come across a couple likely candidates, the others are impractically large or poor quality.

Thanks!

_Swede

cmacclel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by _swede View Post
    Hey Mac, just curious how the waiting is coming along? Hah. It can be painful, I know. What make/model of CNC lathe did you purchase anyway? A buddy of mine has been scouring the market for a CNC lathe for his home machine shop. He's only come across a couple likely candidates, the others are impractically large or poor quality.

Thanks!

_Swede

I was looking for a Toolroom style CNC lathe and there are not many on the market. You have the Haas TL series which I almost purchased but after reading all the comments on how the tailstocks are useless I passed on the Haas.

I wound up going with the Southwestern Industries ProtoTrak 1630SX. The programing is very simple and the lathe appears to be very solid and quite. Also SWI offers a really nice lease program which I took advantage off. There lease equates to a 8% loan if you see it through until the end and purchase the machine after 4 years. The good part is if the machine does not work out after the first year they come pick it up

http://www.southwesternindustries.co..._lathes1.shtml

As for the waite it is absolutely positively KILLING ME. I have alot of work backed up and I know have to go back to my old smithy stlye 3 in 1 machine for lathe work and it's just not happening I can't even take a 0.075 pass in PVC without it chattering!

Mac

Hi there Mac! Fellow flashaholic here(saabluster over there). Been looking at getting a Tormach and was surprised to see you here. I have heard you were having some difficulty getting work out. Didn't know it was from a bum lathe though.

Smile New machine here!

Well I finally got back from my work out of town and got my machine home uncrated and on it's stand.
    Rory D.

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    Well I finally got back from my work out of town and got my machine home uncrated and on it's stand.
    Rory D.
    Good for you Rory D. now the real fun begins.....

How did you guys lift your machines to get them on their stands?

I have one ordered (it has not shipped yet), and I'm trying to figure out how I will lift it. My understanding is that an ordinary engine hoist won't lift high enough. I figured 57" for the machine plus 34" to clear the deluxe stand, which is over 90" at the tip of the boom.

Do I have it all wrong?

Did you guys take any pictures?

Thanks in advance for any tips...

Regards,

- Just Gary

Page 1 of 2 12