586,728 active members*
3,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > V22 Boolean Subtract

V22 Boolean Subtract

Guys, please help me to subtract an area from a large surface. I've imported, then extruded a shape to get a solid. Now, I'd like to remove a ovalized square.

The software changes the color of that area and adds a curve under one of the corners. The part has another feature (hole) to be removed. That was easy and it took just a few seconds.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA!
    Rob in Ohio

Pick the solid that you want to keep first, then select the solid you want to remove. Right click. Select ok. Boolean operation should then execute.

I can't get the area to extrude. That's the problem that I'm having.
    Rob in Ohio

Hello,

I am new to the cadcam software world and I have v21 bobcad. I have been playing with it,b ut there are some pretty remedial(to someone who knows the software)questions I have. Would anyone be willing to help with ofsetting my learning curve?

First I'm cutting a hex shaped part and I was wondering if there was a way to draw a hex without drawing each individual line. Second, I want to machine that hex leaving stock for a second pass(in x and y axes only), do I simply offset the geometry by my desired second pass amount and then cut all on both?

Hex.bas

If you know how to use the scripts, here ia a hex.bas to use

'HexFlat.bas

UnselectAll

R=2.0*25.4
    Ask Header="Hexagon by Flats",Output,Cancel=canc,\
    "Distance Across Flats"=R

If canc=1 Then
    Exit
    Endif

R=R/1.732049

I=R*COS(1.0471976)
    J=R*SIN(1.0471976)

PointCoordinates X = R, Y = 0, Z = 0
    PointCoordinates X = I, Y = J, Z = 0
    PointCoordinates X =-I, Y = J, Z = 0
    PointCoordinates X =-R, Y = 0, Z = 0
    PointCoordinates X =-I, Y =-J, Z = 0
    PointCoordinates X = I, Y =-J, Z = 0
    Close

LineJoin

ViewAll

Mark
    "I'll keep my gun, my ammo, my money, my freedom and you can keep the "CHANGE" !

Quote Originally Posted by Swag View Post
    If you know how to use the scripts, here ia a hex.bas to use

Mark
    Nice script Swag! Thanks.

Here is one I found a long time ago for any regular polygon. It requires the radius of a circle that will touch all the points, the number of sides, and the (x,y) location of the center. Then it puts the polygon on its own layer. I modified it slightly by adding the bitmap image so I could remember how it works. Enjoy, I have. Your script works much better for a hex since you can specify the width across the flats, very handy.

P.S. The polygonpic.bmp must be in the script folder for it to show up so Extract All to that folder. Anyone know if you can use a .jpeg instead of a .bmp in the scripting engine?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by turningman33 View Post
    First I'm cutting a hex shaped part and I was wondering if there was a way to draw a hex without drawing each individual line. Second, I want to machine that hex leaving stock for a second pass(in x and y axes only), do I simply offset the geometry by my desired second pass amount and then cut all on both?
    Aside from the excellent script Swap posted, there are other ways. For a hex that measures 1" across the flats, you could draw one line at, say:

X0.5 Y-0.25
    X0.5 Y0.25

Now select that little line (if it's not already selected) and go to "Change, Rotate". Set the coordinate rotation to X0 Y0 and the angle around the axis Z to 60 degrees. Check the box for "Make a copy" and make 5 copies. Click OK and you should have 6 unconnected lines.

If they aren't already selected, select each line making sure the direction of the arrows are all going in one direction ( I prefer counter clockwise, no reason ). Now go to your "Special - NC" menu item and click "Close". Nothing will happen, we are just setting up for the final operation.

Finally go to "Change, Trim and Extend, Strings". The software will automatically connect all the unconnected lines and they will be trimmed appropriately.

OR

Just use the script Swag posted

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post

Just use the script Swag posted
    I can't take credit for it. I got it from Sorin, and just tweaked it a little,
    but it works great, Credit given to were its due !!
    "I'll keep my gun, my ammo, my money, my freedom and you can keep the "CHANGE" !

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    ....Anyone know if you can use a .jpeg instead of a .bmp in the scripting engine?
    I've never been able to use anything but bitmaps. The jpegs don't cause an error, but they don't show up either.

moldmker

Ahh, good to know moldmkr. I fiddled with it again yesterday to see if I could get it to work. I'm glad I didn't spend much time on it.

Apologies for hijacking this V22 thread too. TZ250, if you can post the file you're having trouble with I'm sure someone can take a look at it.

SBC

How do I post a file? Would I have to convert it to .zip first?
    Rob in Ohio

Yes...Zip it up.(8.58 Mb is max size for zip file to upload)
    Then, in your Reply window, click the paper clip icon.
    This will open a popup window where you can browse for the file on your computer.
    Click Upload.
    When complete, close popup window.
    File will now appear as an attachment in your reply.

If it happened to be a picture or text file that you want to show in the reply then click the paper clip icon again and click on the filename. This will insert it into the reply.

moldmker