586,102 active members*
2,620 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Cheap 1500W Chinese spindle, experiences?
Page 29 of 68 19272829303139
    Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I can tell you that from my experience using a router with two 10HP HSD spindles for 10 years, that bearing failure can be a totally random occurrence, and not necessarily related to duty. We had bearings last well over 5 years with heavy use, and had them fail in 2 years with light use. Replacement by HSD was ~$2000 (spindles were about $6K). These were ceramic bearings, though.

IN order to maintain factory runout specs, you need to have the work done by a qualified spindle repair facility. If you can live with (possibly) more runout, you may be able to swap them yourself. But I have no idea what's involved.
    Hi Gerry,
    I am currently designing a huge Router for Milling/Drilling 10 inch thick Steel plates.. I have researched so far upto 8Kw Spindle with ER40 collet...I want to know what will be the suitable spindle with VFD drives.. Based on your experience what you suggest..Any website links informations?

I need your help..
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

spindle repair work

Here a reply i got some time ago... when inquiring with Precision Spindle & Accessories Inc. regarding price cost for rebuilting worn bearings... on spindles...

As he noted if want anyone to repair your spindle you sould have....spindle diagram ...and part list...... If your planing on buy one..... dont the let sellers
    tell you its not availble... you regert it if you want any work done on your spindle... if you need replacement parts...

email the email i got.

Thank you for your inquiry.

If you have a spindle diagram and spindle parts list, please send it. We should be able to give you a ballpark repair cost. A firm repair cost would be given to you after having dis-assembled, cleaned and inspected the spindle parts. We check all critical dimensions with electronic gaging. Any worn or damaged areas such as bearing seats, housing bores, shaft tapers are ground, hard chromed and ground to size. The spindle parts are restored to original OEM specifications or better. We can rebuild electrical components as well as the mechanical. All rotating parts are balanced individually, new bearings are lubricated and installed, and the spindle is run-in, checked for vibration, temperature and run-out, and given a final balance.

It is to your advantage to send anything that rotates with the spindle, such as tool holder, pulley because we will balance it individually and with the spindle in the final balance. We would have checked the drawbar with your tool holder also, and made any drawbar repairs necessary.

If you have no spindle diagram, send all information from the spindle nameplate and perhaps a few photos also.

If you have any questions, please contact me at the following numbers.
    Thank you,
    David Haviland

Precision Spindle & Accessories Inc.
    PO Box 269
    Otterville, Ontario N0J 1R0
    www.precisionspindleinc.com tel. 519 671 3911
    [email protected] fax. 519 652 5994

follow up email......

Can you explain in detail what type spindle repair work is require for general repair.

A spindle needs repair when it no longer performs the way that you expect!
    Example: If you are machining or grinding aerospace parts, and you want a certain finish, when you no longer get that finish, it is time for something to be done.
    If you are roughing metal parts, and your spindle is making strange noises, then perhaps it is time to repair.

It depends on what you do, etc. We know that roller element bearings (ball bearing, roller bearing) have a certain life expectancy. but we also know that life of a ball bearing in a spindle can be and usually is shortened due to outside influences, like contamination, coolant, swarf, oil, over-speeding, over-loading, imbalance, temperature.

Changing bearings is not the definition of spindle repair!
    But rather Spindle Repair involves many things, including all new bearings. It involves finding the true center of the spindle shaft, and checking the bearing seats for concentricity, size, runout, checking housing bores for size, concentricity, alignment, checking shoulders for squareness (angular contact bearings do not like to be sitting cock-eyed, If they do, then the ball accelerate and decelerate twice per revolution, which is a real conflict because the cage (retainer) tries to maintain constant speed of the balls). So Spindle Repair involves rework of bearing seats and housing bores by grinding (to clean up), hard chroming (to build up) and grinding to size. Spacers must be flat and parallel. Spindle Repair involves the balancing of all rotating parts individually. (just because a part is machined concentrically, is no guarantee that it is balanced. Material density varies across a part, and a rotating part needs individual balancing before going back into a spindle assembly)

Spindle Repair can involve the repair of drawbars, the rework of ID and OD tapers and the clean up and balancing of pulleys.

You may hear some people (especially the bearing changers) say that "90% of the spindles just need the bearings changed". We have proof that over 90% of all spindles need some extra work. Furthermore, all of them need the rotating parts balanced.

To some extent, the amount of rework depends on what the target is - 0.000100" runout or 0.000050" runout, but in reality this doesn't change much, just how you go about doing the repair.

No one can say "in xxxxx hours a particular brand of spindle should be repaired". If the spindle is running sufficiently well, then run it. If it is not giving you the performance that you need, then have it repaired. If it is repaired, and not giving you performance, then that is a completely separate issue, and someone has to dig deeper into design, application.

We cannot give a general hour value at which the xxxx spindle should undergo Spindle Repair. We know nothing about the spindle, it's components - bearings, seals, cooling. We know nothing about the application and nothing about your performance expectations.

So, it's like this - the life that you get is ... the life that you get.

However, if you think you are getting short life, and you were to have us examine for repair, ... then we could examine it for the possibility of improving the life. In other words, we could possibly improve the defense against the problem(s) that shortens the life. All of this is practical, depending on the cost of repair, and the cost of a new spindle from the manufacturer.

So, what spindle are we talking about??

Send a spindle diagram, spindle parts list, all nameplate information, photos

David Haviland

Precision Spindle & Accessories Inc.
    PO Box 269
    Otterville, Ontario N0J 1R0
    www.precisionspindleinc.com tel. 519 671 3911
    [email protected] fax. 519 652 5994

I'm limited to 220volt single phase in my residential shop. I want to run a LARGE spindle (larger than 3KW). Most of the larger units i have seen are 380V, is there such thing as a cheap transformer to step up the voltage? Ive seen the static step up transformers but they are not that efficient. the rotary ones are big money

Here a reply i got some time ago... when inquiring with Precision Spindle & Accessories Inc. regarding price cost for rebuilting worn bearings... on spindles...

As he noted if want anyone to repair your spindle you sould have....spindle diagram ...and part list...... If your planing on buy one..... dont the let sellers
    tell you its not availble... you regert it if you want any work done on your spindle... if you need replacement parts...
    You don't seem to realize that the cost of this "spindle repair" will almost certainly exceed the cost of another chinese spindle. Consider them as disposable, and buy a backup. Less down time if a failure occurs, and similar cost. This also alleviates the need for a diagram and parts list.

I've had several spindles rebuilt, and know what they charge.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    I'm limited to 220volt single phase in my residential shop. I want to run a LARGE spindle (larger than 3KW). Most of the larger units i have seen are 380V, is there such thing as a cheap transformer to step up the voltage? Ive seen the static step up transformers but they are not that efficient. the rotary ones are big money
    You should be able to get a single phase VFD to run a 3KW spindle. Why do you think you need a larger one?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

On the voltage question, I have a 3.7kW 220V spindle (from Chai). I have a 7.5kW vfd that is rated for 3ph input that I'll run off of single phase and derate by 1/2. I got this one at an auction, but I'm sure as Gerry says you could find a single phase vfd to do this as well. You can buy a transformer to step up 3ph or single phase 220V to 380V or 440V. These are pretty efficient as far as I know... I just bought a 15kVA unit to run my new router off ebay for ~$240 with freight shipping, but I've previously bought a similar sized 3ph transformer for less than $100 and picked it up locally. That was to step up 3ph 220V to 440V from the output of a rotary phase converter. You can typically run these types of transformers either way - step up or step down. It's just two coils of wire with different numbers of turns on a laminated steel core - very simple.

You should be able to get a single phase VFD to run a 3KW spindle. Why do you think you need a larger one?
    "I want to run a large spindle (Larger than 3KW)"

I meant i would need 3 phase for anything larger than 3KW.

I will keep my eyes open for a rotary converter on ebay, if its a good deal i will go for it. If not i will stick with the 3KW or the 2.2KW

You don't seem to realize that the cost of this "spindle repair" will almost certainly exceed the cost of another chinese spindle. Consider them as disposable, and buy a backup. Less down time if a failure occurs, and similar cost. This also alleviates the need for a diagram and parts list.

I've had several spindles rebuilt, and know what they charge.

that was my point long............. ago.... when you start buy atc chinese spindle....you need to ask your self are you.... getting value... vendor would advertized 4k - 5k for a ATC ? the cost for repair could be the same as new chinese spindle atc again.... we all know now.... the spindle are now around 2200 and up for atc ! depending on size and hp etc

I cant believe there isn't a american made spindle company who makes spindles just to compete with the foreign market. I mean really? One of the greatest most advance nations in the world and we cant make a freakin motor that holds a tool cheaper than china. What is the world coming too..

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    I cant believe there isn't a american made spindle company who makes spindles just to compete with the foreign market. I mean really? One of the greatest most advance nations in the world and we cant make a freakin motor that holds a tool cheaper than china. What is the world coming too..
    its call we sold the door mat.... and all patents that go with it... under are feet....

just like tvs....

One of the greatest most advance nations in the world and we cant make a freakin motor that holds a tool cheaper than china.
    Unless you want to work for $5 an hour (or is it $5/day?), you'll have a hard time making anything cheaper than China.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Work smarter not harder.

On the fence

I've read every word of this thread and am ready to pull the trigger on one of these spindles. There are two nearly identical units on eBay for sale right now. One from Love-HappyEndings and another from LinearMotionBearings both 2.2 with VFDs. Love's is $513 and $571 from Linear both with shipping. Is there a significant difference between the two? Bearings? Support? Warranty? Quality? I'd love to hear from you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by scobob View Post
    I've read every word of this thread and am ready to pull the trigger on one of these spindles. There are two nearly identical units on eBay for sale right now. One from Love-HappyEndings and another from LinearMotionBearings both 2.2 with VFDs. Love's is $513 and $571 from Linear. Is there a significant difference between the two? Bearings? Support? Warranty? Quality? I'd love to hear from you with experience.
    from my research i have found some units have 2 bearing other 3 bearing
    and other 4 bearings... inquire do you home work... if your doing aluminum
    work you want 4 bearings 2 per side. also some use nsk other fag bearings
    and some no names...

Quote Originally Posted by eloid View Post
    from my research i have found some units have 2 bearing other 3 bearing
    and other 4 bearings... inquire do you home work... if your doing aluminum
    work you want 4 bearings 2 per side. also some use nsk other fag bearings
    and some no names...
    Thanks for the quick reply. So it's a crap shoot? Kinda scary as I have never been lucky with these things. Any one of them consistently better? Is there a better option in the same price range?

if you want no worries - get them from this website www.driver-motor.com, we have till now got about 5 spindles from them and all have no problems till now( 3 have put in a year's service already), try giving them a call - they speak reasonably good english and will help you in every way possible. and yes pricing is attractive too.

Quote Originally Posted by scobob View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. So it's a crap shoot? Kinda scary as I have never been lucky with these things. Any one of them consistently better? Is there a better option in the same price range?
    scobob im me

Thanks for the quick reply. So it's a crap shoot?
    Most of the ones in use by members here have been purchased from those two sellers. I don't have one, but I've heard the support from Linear Motion Bearings is better.

I don't think there's much if any difference between them.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 29 of 68 19272829303139