586,080 active members*
3,651 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Getting Started

I need help... I am looking to get started in the CNC world and I am not sure exactly where to start. I am running a Techno-Isel(overpriced)/AutoTemp at work so I am not totally ignorant in this area but I dont have a lot of experience either.

First of all I dont have 3500-50000 to get started so I am looking for another route. I dont mind building my own and I am not sure about the plans that I have seen out there. Are there some reliable sites I can look too? How much am I looking to spend (running something about 2'x4' or 4'x4' - wood-platic-foam)? I have done some looking but I would rather here from some other people on this. What is the best software/price? What will my limitations be with it?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks

If you state your goals as to what you're trying to cut and how much you DO have to spend then I'm sure many people here could give you an idea as to what your possibilities are. Also, there's a fairly distinct price difference between a 2' axis and a 4' axis with most off-the-shelf linear guides so a little more accuracy here is warranted.

Thanks for the reply ...
    For starters I am holding about 500 but looking to spend <1000. Is this possible? What do I plan on doing - that is a good question. I plan on starting with pressure shoes/templates for a high speed Weinig Wood Moulder. I would like to move into intricate wood design...

I feel as though I am in need for some serious direction here....

John, you can meet both your cost goals and size goals, but you'll have to be a good scrounger and bargain hunter, along with being very handy.

How big are your templates and pressure shoes? What are they made out of? How accurate do they need to be?

The widest profile that I can imagine running is about 12" template/shoe material is plastic/ cast accrylic. They need to be pretty accurate +-.005 but not extremly.
    I am not looking to just fulfill the current needs/wants but trying to look to the future of what I might do with this machine.

Are there plans out there worth buying/free?

There are lots of plans available. On this forum there is a great one for free.
    It would probably meet your budget constraints. You can use your Techno router after hours at work to cut out all the pieces.
    http://cnczone.com/modules.php?name=...=viewfile&id=4

However, most plans for a larger type machine like you want cost about $100 and the resulting machine cost is usually about $4000 (with minimal scrounging)