586,105 active members*
3,220 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Drawing 3D sheets of material in TurboCAD?

Question Drawing 3D sheets of material in TurboCAD?

Hi Guys,

I have been using TurboCAD for a while now, mainly in 2D.

I've done some 3D illustrations, but normally by creating a 2D shape and then giving it "thickness" in the properties dialog.

Now I'm trying to do it the "right" way, so I created a "box" and want to cut out of this piece.

I cannot find a way to add nodes so that I can shape cut-outs the piece. I've been through anything I could find remotely related in the help file and also the TC forum on the Zone.

Some of the cut-outs are going to be pretty complex curves which will need adjusted to final fit, so 3D Subtract won't work well. In 2D mode I had something like 100 nodes on the curve which I could move as needed.

Is the 'right' way to create the 2D shape and give it thickness? This doesn't seem right, as what if I wanted to perform other 3-dimensional actions to the sheet?

The reason that I want to do this right (besides that it should be done correctly) is that there will be other pieces interlocking with this sheet, so there will be a lot of cut-outs and adjoining edges and such. Besides... it should be done correctly anyway. ;o)

Thank you!

Alex

Nobody?

If anyone can help, thanks in advance!

Alex

Ok, does anyone know of a better place to ask the question?

Thanks,
    Alex

3d machining with turbocad

What version? the cam add on will not generate 3d code it is 2.5d you can generate pockets from profiles and mill them to varying depths or you can upgrade to rhino or a nother 3d modeler

Hi tkran,

Thanks for the reply.

I am not actually trying to machine this, but create a 3D model for prototyping. I'm not attempting to create any code or anything, just draw the parts.

It's TurboCAD 15 and 14 (depending on which PC I'm at).

I can draw a square sheet of material as a "Box". But I want to notch out some of the sides and also bend it. It seems that all I can do with a box is to resize the rectangular shape. I can't find a way to add nodes.

Is there some other tool besides "box" I should be using?

Thanks,
    Alex

Don't use TurboCAD, but does it have an extrude command? That might be better than trying to subtract. And most CAD software doesn't have the ability to "bend" solid models, so you'll probably need to model it in it's "bent" state. How you model it would probably depend on what the end purpose of the model is. If it needs to go to someone else for production, then you need to do what they want.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Modify

I'm not sure what your trying to do but it sounds like you want to modify an object in 3d. Under the tab modify you will find 3DBoolean Operations. Then you can choose to add or subtract from an object.

Hope this helps
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Don't use TurboCAD, but does it have an extrude command? That might be better than trying to subtract. And most CAD software doesn't have the ability to "bend" solid models, so you'll probably need to model it in it's "bent" state. How you model it would probably depend on what the end purpose of the model is. If it needs to go to someone else for production, then you need to do what they want.
    Hi Ger,

I think you are right. Extrude. It didn't look (to the novice) like the right thing when I was browsing help files, but I think it may be. I'll give that a try. I'll create flat 2D drawings for production but am trying to model the parts.

Thanks!!!!

I would use polylines in 2d and extrude them , you can draw seperate facets of your modeled part then you can use 3d add and 3d intersect to make them all into one combined solid

I know that this thread is a few months old, but it sounds like you should watch this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZzmHhIx1I&feature=related]video[/ame] explaining the flange and unbend tools.

I have not really tried them, but they look like exactly what you want.

Good luck!

Regards,

- Just Gary

Yup, "flange" looks like exactly what you asked for. I did this example in TC Pro V15.1. I'll have to use this the next time we need a test box here at work. I can finally just send an IGES file to the sheet metal guy.

I found that if I put all the tabs on first, TC could not unbend it (probably because the little ears touched the end flanges), but by doing it in steps I could easily make what I wanted.

Thanks for making me look this up. I had seen flange and unbend before, but couldn't figure them out. They are definitely worth it!

Regards,

- Just Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BrakeBox1.jpg   BrakeBox2.jpg  

Not to dis any members here but drawing questions would probably get more attention at the TC forum specific to your versions.

http://forums.imsisoft.com/forums/Main.cfm?CFApp=200

I've done some 3D illustrations, but normally by creating a 2D shape and then giving it "thickness" in the properties dialog.
    I don't think this method is what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mics_54 View Post
    I don't think this method is what you want to do.
    I can't let this go unanswered any longer, because mics_54 suggests that you shouldn't do what works, but doesn't offer a different method.

In fact, it is exactly what you want to do. I routinely build parts by cutting up circles and other things, then joining all of the separate lines into one closed polyline, then selecting it and specifying a thickness. It is the same as using simple extrude, but much faster to just select and type a thickness value.

If you can get your 3D model created by whatever means you can think of, go for it.

Regards,

- Just Gary

It depends on what he is making "thicker". Is he makeing the lines thicker? If hes just specifying line thickness or width does it really create a 3D object...is it a surface object..is it a solid? I don't know...maybe you know. I don't know because he didn't really say what he was doing. If what he is doing works...why ask the question? I will disable the notification on this thread so it doesnt send me an email anymore. I gave the best advice I know which is to post the question in a forum specific to the software and it's version. He can post the file and get an answer in a few hours unlike a week it takes here.

hi from the uk just put up a freebie trial website with some turbocad stuff if wan,t a look it,s (all lower case) www.smgdesign.net type in top browser @ http will get you straight there BEST REGARDS STUGOD

TURBOCAM

I gave up on turbocam and use rhinocam save my tcad drawings as dxf,s and it works fine in rhino here is my turbocad blog and website http://stugods3dblog.blogspot.com/
    http://smgdesign.net/