586,094 active members*
3,943 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

mastercam, edgecamSUCKS, powermill????

I'm just wondering if you guys work with mastercam, edgecam that sucks, powermill and etc or... just do the manual programming ()... ???

I'm sorry for my ignorance but I'm just wondering...

For this stuff... MasterCam, PCDMIS, GibbsCam, and some others are out there. For many CAM systems, you have to create and setup your own custom cycles to utilize it within the programming file. For other types, there are add-on software available or a seperate system specifically for macro programming (most commonly used for probe programming).
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

I use edgecam everyday for everything from 2d profiling to 5 axis milling on a dmg evo, one thing i'll say about it is the guy next to me uses worknc, and talk about a struggle just to get a simple 3 axis program out, he doesn't even program any hole features etc in the cam but does it manually on the machine. The main thing i've found is that having the ability to simulate the machine properly with spot on graphics so you can see in very fine detail, is the most impotant thing. Ok it doesn't have 30 or 40 different cycles to do five axis stuff like powermill or hypermill (programs i've used before) which are really just recorded macros and given a fancy front end, but this to me is an advantage because straight away i know how i'm going to do a job and within a couple of hours i'm cutting metal and making money.
    2 days later, the guy next to me is still struggling and on program revision 10 because his other 9 attempts didn't work, but telling me how good worknc is at not dwelling in a corner. Wow! Then getting the job on a machine only to find some of the tool lengths are too short for the machine kinematics.
    A local company we do work for use powermill for five axis work and the guy that uses it can't believe how good our simulation is. Thats probably why we do work for them, because their 5 axis is always being wrecked by crap simulation and nc code.
    Ive never used mastercam, but seen it working. Whats all that metacut utilites rubbish all about. Its like watching something from the eighties in action, or something you download free from the internet.
    And before you say anything I don't work for a cam company, I am just a programmer in an engineering company and have been for 22 years. I do stuff for F1 and aerospace in all kinds of materials, mainly 1's and 2offs and average 3 or 4 programs a day. In all honesty i don't get any real problems with the cam, the ony real problem i have is wondering what to have on my cob at breaktime. But if you really want to evaluate all the cam systems on the market and spend a couple of years learning each one...be my guest, its your money not mine

Show some proof

one thing i'll say about it is the guy next to me uses worknc, and talk about a struggle just to get a simple 3 axis program out
    Wow, things must be pretty bad to come on here to try and take down WorkNC. For those of you who actually work in a "real" shop, evaluate both products. See the truth for yourself. I can't speak for other software companies but we allow prospects to evaluate our software for free, working post and all. You wouldn't buy a car without test driving it right? We do not believe in trash talking the competition, we believe in our product!

I don't have a very good feeling about Edgecam at all and my position at my present job.
    then when I read phil's reply even worst....

I have to learn Edgecam but I don't feel like it, sometimes I feel that I'm losing time of my life and going backwards, I'm used to 3D programming with Mastercam, design the solids and generate the toolpaths, 1 to 2 programs a day. now with Edgecam I see my progress going away, it creates a border between me and the engineers because edgecam is very poor on solids creations and the part modeller that is not the best is a different application file, does not make sense.

Edgecam philosophy is towards to consumerism, I would actually say that some protectionism policies are for good but not Edgecam.

I would also say that Edgecam philosophy is towards to the creations of levels that probably works in England and the rest of Europe, the engineers are going at least 3 years to university but where I live is different. after 1 year at technical school could be called engineer without having any experience with machinery and take critical decisions that is the case.
    I'm going on the wrong direction with Edgecam, I think I should have to start looking for a new job soon.

casta-baga

interesting theory indeed, specially at this time of crises. that the capitalism system is about to collapse.
    interesting.

Wow,, that Worknc guy must have been let go by now if he is that bad. I have a cusrtomer in the UK who has replaced 3 edgecam guys with a single license of WorkNC, and will provide a written testimonial

Still programming by hand and I like that way, I feel pointing and clicking on cartoons to write a program would be boring. But I'm ignorit about cam systems, never used one. But I see alot of cam users asking basic G code questions :cheers:

[QUOTE=ggborgen;864516]Still programming by hand and I like that way

I would have to say this is the best way for me aswell. it may not be as efficeint as some camming software but going through prints and such really gives me a good feel on why im doing what im doing and teaches me more about machining with every job. if you get stuck using one way of doing things because a software tells you that. i just feel as there is more ways than one to do something and most situations are different and theres always room for improvement. :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by ggborgen View Post
    ...I see alot of cam users asking basic G code questions :cheers:
    Nice!)
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.

But I see alot of cam users asking basic G code questions
    LMAO.....so do I. Some situations at a company this works but not the most ideal. Most places it doesn't make any sense but it happens more often then you think.

Stevo

Still programming by hand and I like that way, I feel pointing and clicking on cartoons to write a program would be boring. But I'm ignorit about cam systems, never used one. But I see alot of cam users asking basic G code questions :cheers:
    Everyone who calls themselves "Machinists" should spend at least a few months on the manuals. When they can do that, they should spend the next six months learning how to program manually.

Maybe then I would let them touch the CAM software. Maybe.

But to be honest, I hardly hand program at all anymore. The stuff I'm doing now is virtually impossible to code by hand. But when the CAM system does something I don't like (which is often), I can key in a few moves to fix it. The guy that can't read the code is hopeless.

I think it comes down to correct tools applied to the right task. That and the operator knowing how to use the tools.

Personally I think it a must to know the code, even if you have to look up exact usage due to infrequent manually programming. But it is possible to have one good code guy manage the post processors and any others just Cam programmers.

I think a lot of what makes something work or not is the initial setup, and work flow both out in the shop, and in the programming. If you know the in's and out's of the machine and software it will be easy. If your still figuring it out, you will just be fighting both every time you program.

If your modeling anything besides basic fixtures or clamps in your CAM package, your probably in need of a real CAD package.

Manually programming g-code is all well and good for some applications, but insane for others. Lathe work is usually pretty easy to do manually, so are mill parts the are mostly drilling in casting ect. With some macros for pockets ect. you can even do more without much trouble (basically non-gui conversational programming) Heck that is basically what Mazatrol is.