586,106 active members*
3,167 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: G540 - WOW!

G540 - WOW!

I have been using a Mechatronics 3 axis board for about 5 months. I have had nothing but problems with it from day 1. I was always losing steps and the motors were slow, 35-40 ipm. Finally, I couldn't slow down the Y axis enough to keep from losing steps and ruined 14 out of 35 pieces for a new customer. I replaced them so they won't even know, but that ate up a lot of my profit.

I had thought about Keling or Gecko drives from the start but didn't want to spend the money to replace a board that I thought was going to work out ok. Boy do I wish I would have done this a long time ago!

I installed the 540 yesterday, with a bit of help from Mariss, and did some testing today. Using the same 24volt power supply I have gone from 35-40 ipm to 130 ipm! I just finished running a pretty lengthy test, just a zig-zag pattern that exercises all three axes and this thing didn't miss a beat! I was cutting with a 90 degree V bit 1/8" into redwood at 100 ipm - it could have gone faster but I didn't notice that Vcarve Pro defaults to 100 ipm and it wasn't worth going back to change it and run again...

At just over $300 it's a bit pricey, but the time and money I have lost messing around with the other drive would have paid for the Gecko several times.

If you ask yourself if it's worth it to spend a bit more - the answer is absolutely YES!

Gary

try a 48V power supply

Hi ,if you think it's something on 24V, try a 48V power supply!

http://www.bgmicro.com/index.asp?Pag...D&ProdID=10928

$24.95 for a 5 amp switcher.

BE SURE to measure the output voltage and adjust it to stay within G540 specs.

-James
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

That would be a nice PSU for a small lathe. The 5 amp output would be JUST enough to drive two 3.5A motors. For a small mill, and 4th axis, you would need to buy 2 of these. At the price of 2, it might be better to get the Keling 48V 7.3A PSU.

CR.

I actually have a 48 v, 6.5 a psu that I bought to go with the G540. When I talked to Mariss he recommended trying the 24 v first. He said all the 48 v would give me is hotter motors, but no increase in performance.

If I'm getting 130ipm, the max I can set with 45khz, then what would 48v get me?

Thanks,
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by LaserImage View Post
    If I'm getting 130ipm, the max I can set with 45khz, then what would 48v get me?

Thanks,
    Gary
    if you can get mach3 to run at 100Khz, you might see 200ipm.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    if you can get mach3 to run at 100Khz, you might see 200ipm.
    If my compter would run mach at 100Khz I would be amazed! Actually, 200ipm wouldn't really buy me much. Most of the test cuts I have been making are at 100ipm and 120ipm, 120 isn't as clean so I am sure 200 would only be worse. Also, since my machine is only 18" x 36", 200ipm wouldn't really save me much time. When I build my next machine, 48"+ x 96"+, then 200ipm will be important!

Thanks,
    Gary

And that's not all

The other advantages of the G540 is that they are almost burn out proof. I recently ran into a problem with a system that I had just built for a customer.
    The G540 would run a program for about 1300 lines of code and the fault. It did not fault at the same place everytime. I double checked everything and everything was as it should be. I called Mariss and told him the problems I was having and he mentioned amoung other things was that I might have a bad motor. Even though it was brand new. I really doubted this could be the problem because if it was internally shorted sure it would fault right away. Well after trying everything else I changed out the motors one at a time and reran the program. On the Z axis motor change out the ;problem went away and hasn;t returned until I reinstalled the bad motor. Sure enough it faulted again this time at line 4100. I called Mariss again and told him of the solution that he gave me worked but what could be the problem. I have installed over a thousand motors and never saw anything like that. Mariss explained that it was one in 10,000 occurrrences where the motor had an intermittent short.
    The G 540 faulted everytime with that bad motor. If that had been any other driver without short circuit protection it would have caused a blown driver.
    So not only do you have a better performing driver but you also have something that will not easily burn out.

Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserImage View Post
    I have been using a Mechatronics 3 axis board for about 5 months. I have had nothing but problems with it from day 1. I was always losing steps and the motors were slow, 35-40 ipm. Finally, I couldn't slow down the Y axis enough to keep from losing steps and ruined 14 out of 35 pieces for a new customer. I replaced them so they won't even know, but that ate up a lot of my profit.

I had thought about Keling or Gecko drives from the start but didn't want to spend the money to replace a board that I thought was going to work out ok. Boy do I wish I would have done this a long time ago!

I installed the 540 yesterday, with a bit of help from Mariss, and did some testing today. Using the same 24volt power supply I have gone from 35-40 ipm to 130 ipm! I just finished running a pretty lengthy test, just a zig-zag pattern that exercises all three axes and this thing didn't miss a beat! I was cutting with a 90 degree V bit 1/8" into redwood at 100 ipm - it could have gone faster but I didn't notice that Vcarve Pro defaults to 100 ipm and it wasn't worth going back to change it and run again...

At just over $300 it's a bit pricey, but the time and money I have lost messing around with the other drive would have paid for the Gecko several times.

If you ask yourself if it's worth it to spend a bit more - the answer is absolutely YES!

Gary