586,080 active members*
3,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

spindle probe error

It says "start up failure" and now the led blinks red, blue, green continuously for the last 30 minutes.

Is this the battery?
    I can't make much sense of the instructions in the quick start guide, when I deflect the stylus for >5 seconds, nothing happens.
    We've had this thing for about 3 months now, I heard the batteries last about twice that long.

Anybody know anything?
    Thanks
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by kendo View Post
    It says "start up failure" and now the led blinks red, blue, green continuously for the last 30 minutes.

Is this the battery?
    I can't make much sense of the instructions in the quick start guide, when I deflect the stylus for >5 seconds, nothing happens.
    We've had this thing for about 3 months now, I heard the batteries last about twice that long.

Anybody know anything?
    Thanks
    Kenny

I just had the same problem ...

Change the bats but dont try to reprogram the probe

That is what renishaw told me ...

good luck finding the right batteries for less than 20 bucks a piece ...

You can find them online for 5 bucks

I use the probe as little a once a day and sometimes 25 or 30 times. Your problem is dead battery's. I keep 4 or 8 in the tool cart next to the Haas. I burn through a set every 30 to 90 days and mine always crap out at 2 in the morning on a rush job

Quote Originally Posted by kojack View Post
    I just had the same problem ...

Change the bats but dont try to reprogram the probe

That is what renishaw told me ...

good luck finding the right batteries for less than 20 bucks a piece ...

You can find them online for 5 bucks

ebay around $4 each

Quote Originally Posted by Eritex Inc. View Post
    I use the probe as little a once a day and sometimes 25 or 30 times. Your problem is dead battery's. I keep 4 or 8 in the tool cart next to the Haas. I burn through a set every 30 to 90 days and mine always crap out at 2 in the morning on a rush job
    Really? Mine lasted almost a year. Granted we go through long periods of only 1-2 uses a week, and then a few weeks/month or two of using it every day, but it definitely lasted longer than the equivalent of 90 8 hour shifts.

if its flashing blue and reds,then its batteries.
    they last me bout 5-6 months.
    the spindle probe eats up the batteries lots faster if your using it in programs.
    the table probe lasts longer cause its not used as much.
    if you need to ,you can swap the batteries between the probes if ya need one or the other.

it doesn't surprise me then that my batts went dead in 3 months

We run frames that get an average 16 holes around the perimeter
    one frame and one matching "clamp ring" on the table per run
    so 32 holes and each one gets probed for Z variance
    we get variance of .05" sometimes between holes and that would ruin the countersinks

The probe stays on through the whole process which is a little under 4 minutes per run, 40 runs per day
    I was using the renishaw macros for everything, and they would turn the probe on and off each time it touched, but I cut the probe cycle time in half with some new macros and leaving the probe on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    Really? Mine lasted almost a year. Granted we go through long periods of only 1-2 uses a week, and then a few weeks/month or two of using it every day, but it definitely lasted longer than the equivalent of 90 8 hour shifts.

I have a couple fixtures that get dialed in at least 4 times a week each. I have to probe xyz and then probe 8 bores...

Do that plus all the one off stuff I do...

you eat batteries pretty quick. I am not complaining, if the batteries are going dead it means I am working.

Eritex, I'm diggin that custom tool setter cover.:wee:

Quote Originally Posted by Mic6 View Post
    Eritex, I'm diggin that custom tool setter cover.:wee:
    My first tool setting probe failed after 2 weeks. I was told by Haas to put a "cover" of some type to keep coolant off the probe. I had 3 hard shell tacos supremes that day for lunch with a Diet Pepsi. The taco wrappers didn't work so the soda got sacrificed

Thats strange...I've never seen an OTS fail from coolant and/or chips...I HAVE seen plenty of batteries die. Just beware, the ones you get at Radio Shack...die a LOT faster than the brands Renishaw recommends in their quick start manuals that came with your machines.

The batteries in my OMP40 probe died a couple of days ago and after freaking about not haveing any and no store in my area having any, I decided to see if maybe Mcmaster Carr would have some (they have everything else). i looked in the catalog and found a listing for 1/2 AA lithium batteries with no other information on the product. i decided to order a pair hoping that they would be a good brand and would get the probe working. when they arrived the next day, much to my surprise, they were the same brand and model that came in the probe, SAFT LS 14250. And they only cost $4.82 a piece.
    McMaster Carr Part #6951K59.

I have the Part Probe that is used almost daily.

I also have the Tool Setter probe which is under my Pallet System so it is hardly ever used and I have noticed even with new batteries installed and NO USE, The tool setter batteries will go dead just sitting there.

I found this out when my part probe batteries went dead,
    I thought, "Ah Haa I have new batteries in the tool setter that has not been used. I can steal them for the part probe"
    Well, They were dead too.
    And I know we didn't use the Tool Setter.

So Now the tool setter sits there with No Batteries in it until we need it.

What a pain. Huh?

Mohawk

its the batteries man. change them and youll b fine

Quote Originally Posted by tukes23 View Post
    i decided to order a pair hoping that they would be a good brand and would get the probe working. when they arrived the next day, much to my surprise, they were the same brand and model that came in the probe, SAFT LS 14250. And they only cost $4.82 a piece.
    McMaster Carr Part #6951K59.
    You rock, Thanks for the tip!
    -Taylor

Cool

Hi

I want to purchase a spindle probe.

Can anyone let me know how accurate it calculates ( calculating hole centre & so on )

Also, while installing spindle probe, do the spindle probe manufacturers do any ball screw replacement ( or any other mechanical part ) to make their product perform.

Thanks,
    Ash

the spindle probe will be as accurate as the machine its self.
    delw

I think 0.025 mm accuracy

Comments welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by Delw View Post
    the spindle probe will be as accurate as the machine its self.
    delw
    go read through the thread on "inspection with a probe"

it gives a bit more information.

Smile

Surely I will.

Thanks
    Ash

Page 1 of 2 12