586,408 active members*
2,979 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Milltronics Partner 4 w/Centurion 5 -> Error 450 and keyboard problems!!
Page 2 of 2 12
    Just spit-balling, I had a Milltronics that the spindle wouldn't come on unless the coolant was turned on. The screen might also show what the active spindle override is set at (defective override switch?)

Quote Originally Posted by varga View Post
    Thanks for the file, it is VERY helpful, it turns out the errror clears and doesnt come back... the frequency(hertz) is set to zero aswell as the amperage. for some reason i cant get the display to set it, i can set parameters and everything else but not frequency or amperage although it is in a different setting not in program... any ideas?? thanks again for all of your help!
    -matt
    Matt,

Bbor makes a fair point. Make sure the spindle overide is not at zero and it conductors are intact. Not surprising since the keyboard cable was compromised somewhere along its life.

A couple things I would investigate. Check the external fault input at terminal 3 and ref ground at terminal 11, as shown on pages 2-9 and 2-11. These inputs are tied high when open and pulled low when external switches are closed. Since it shows Eb on startup, that is an external fault detected error. The drive won't output anything until that is resolved. This could be E-stop or relay enable contacts and possibly a short on that line. Even removing this wire from this terminal might gain you control at the drive to confirm it is functional or the problem is associated with the control itself.

As a last resort, and after recording all the drives internal parameter settings, wire terminals and such. You could disconnect it from the machine control to see if it will run in its most basic setup run locally at the drive keyboard rather than remote from the centurion.

Ours have G5 and G7 drives, so I cannot guide you as to setup on a G2 specifically.

DC

May be the watch dog problem!

OK... now I have everything moving, the thing is that terminal 13 isn't getting any input voltage in the spindle inverter. it is suppose to get 0-10vdc, 10v being 200% 5v being 100% and 0v being 0%. As Dan from milltronics had suggested(friday) applying 5vdc to this turned the spindle right on ruling out a problem with the inverter or motor. I did also find out that i have NO voltage at terminal 23(tb2-1)(should be 5.1 v) which is next to terminal block 97(tb2-7) which leads to terminal 13 in the inverter. I cant remember who i talked to at milltronics today but i think they were about as lost as me when it comes to this and where i should check to get voltage to terminal 23. the control has come into question but no one can give me a straight answer on which board is the control and if there is a way to test it. from what i understand it is no longer produced but i could be wrong... If anyone has ANY idea please let me know! also if anyone has any better wiring diagrams please let me know!
    Thanks,
    Matt

If I remember right, the analog spindle signal (0-10v) comes from the card cage's MISC pin 13 and travels to PC-REL-1B(relay board). It comes out of the relay board at TB2-7 and goes to the spindle drive.

"If I remember right, the analog spindle signal (0-10v) comes from the card cage's MISC pin 13 and travels to PC-REL-1B(relay board). It comes out of the relay board at TB2-7 and goes to the spindle drive. "

Yeah, i think ill check continuity in that next. thanks again and ill let you know how it turns out.
    thanks,
    matt

I tracked ALL the connections for the analog spindle and checked the continuity on all of them, everything checked out fine. Im beginning to suspect the spindle enable wire, could that possibly cause no signal going to the inverter? what kind of concerns me is that i have no voltage at tb2-1 (on the relay board) which should have 5vdc. it shows that fpp 2&3 connect directly to tb2-1. both have 5vdc coming from the front panel(which on my machine voltage IS present). i just wonder if this powers anything related to the spindle analog?
    thanks again,
    Matt

The spindle won't come on unless you've entered a spindle speed command.
    Example: S500 M03
    What do the diagnostics show when you enter these commands?
    Here's the list>
    http://home.fuse.net/consultec/images/Diags5.jpg

if you type in s500 m03 in mdi it will say to press cycle start , i do so and it will read 500 rpm (cw)... if you vary the % of spindle speed it reflects the changes for that too (ex. 500 rpm programed -> 110% gives 550 rpm (cw)) but with no effect on actual spindle rotation.

I think the diagnostic screen is accessed through the "Util" softkey under "Info". You need to find the "Diags" screen since it shows active inputs and outputs.
    -
    Can you turn the coolant on after you enter S500 M03 CYCLESTART?

Quote Originally Posted by bborb View Post
    I think the diagnostic screen is accessed through the "Util" softkey under "Info". You need to find the "Diags" screen since it shows active inputs and outputs.
    -
    Can you turn the coolant on after you enter S500 M03 CYCLESTART?
    This information is incorrect.
    Depending upon what software you have (cnc or sls) you can access the diagonstics:
    CNC software:
    F6(DISPL), F4(DIAG)
    SLS software:
    F7(PARMS), F1(SETUP), F1(LEVEL). Type in PROTO3 for the vaildation code. Press ENTER. The access level is 3. Then escape to the main menu. Then F6(DISPL), F4(DIAG).
    The diagnostic screen found under the F10(UTIL) is the status of the I/O when the last emergency stop occured. This can be useful for problems that occur randomnly.

i notice you just bought this machine, do you know if it might have had any repairs on the computer?
    i just had a motherboard put in my partner 7 with centrion 5 and it done the same thing. you could type in a command hit the cycle start button and the monitor would say the spindle was turning but nothing would happen.
    after 2 weeks of phone calls back and forth with milltronics tech, they figured out it had 2 bad files installed when it was updated. not sure if it will help but figured i would throw it out there.

does anyone know the final drive ratio on this machine in high gear? Im getting 32t on the motor, 28t on the driven... giving me a 1.14:1 ratio, is that it? is there any overdrive in the gearbox(high/ low range)? thanks again!

Not to revive an old thread but I wanted to relate my similar experiences with a Centurion V. Intermittantly the keyboard would lock up and all the panel lights would come on. I found that by tapping on the keyboard interface board with my fingers in a certain spot I could get it to fault out and reset. Under the microscope I saw several areas where there are circuit traces on the top side of the board but the chips were only soldered on the bottom (poorly). I carefully soldered all traces on the top of the board to the chip pins and have been unable to duplicate the problem since. I'm not sure what a new board costs but I am sure glad I didn't have to find out!

I have just purchased a standard modern series 1700 cnc lathe with a centurion 5t controller and when we fired it up we keep getting error code of 449 drive fault. My manual shows no error 449 and wondering if there is anyone that may have any information to help me come up with a solution. Would appreciate getting any help or information regarding this machine. New here and havent learned how to start thread yet so figured it was best to add it in here. Thanks. I will def need more help in the future as this is my first cnc lathe have a haas mill for 4 years and mastercam.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahwecandothat View Post
    I have just purchased a standard modern series 1700 cnc lathe with a centurion 5t controller and when we fired it up we keep getting error code of 449 drive fault. My manual shows no error 449 and wondering if there is anyone that may have any information to help me come up with a solution. Would appreciate getting any help or information regarding this machine. New here and havent learned how to start thread yet so figured it was best to add it in here. Thanks. I will def need more help in the future as this is my first cnc lathe have a haas mill for 4 years and mastercam.
    AN error 449 is a drive fault. Look at the spindle drive display or lights. If all looks good there, take a look at the axis drives. The drives have led alarm lights. If all of the drives look good, check your 24VDC at TB12 and TB22. Also check your power supply in the control. (Black box with the American flag on the front cover.)

centurion error 449

error 449 on a centurion control means that you have a drive problem
    interchange the drives and see if transfers

Can anyone repair Model MPA-80-211 spindle drive on a Partner 1 machine?

Page 2 of 2 12