586,032 active members*
3,039 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Finally: a floppy drive to USB conversion for older machines
Page 1 of 3 123

Finally: a floppy drive to USB conversion for older machines

Have you guys seen this?

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69215

It looks like somebody finally made what we were looking for: a drop-in, plug-in replacement for a floppy drive form factor that takes USB thumbdrives.
    Greg

$299.99
    neat but I have a sony brand USB floppy drive to "dub down" the USB machine
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

$300 is a bargain compared to the Haas alternative (Hard Drive / Ethernet).
    Greg

I saw the announcement for this a couple years ago - it was from a chinese company and there were no distributors - look like someone finally decided to distribute

Can you DNC from a floppy on Haas? That might work great - I have 16mb of ram on my Haas, and as you fill it up, the program selection gets slower and slower...

I'd be a bit worried about the Haas programming - they programmed the floppy interface, expecting a floppy - there might be problems with files larger than floppy, if they did any optimization, rather than just reading to end of data.

If anyone tries this, please post your results and how you used it... If it was only $150, i'd have already ordered just to try it out.

FYI - they posted a PDF on the website selling the floppy drive adapter.

http://www.plrelectronics.com/3-and-...der-Manual.pdf

After reading though it, it seems it will be compatible with the Haas. A few notes:

1. A usb drive or a folder on a usb drive can be "mapped" to the floppy drive adapter.
    2. The total size of the files in the mapping cannot exceed 1.44mb
    3. The network port on the adapter is actually a RS485 port, not ethernet.
    4. There is a delay between read and write that could cause an error in the host machine.

Because the size of the files in the mapping must not exceed the size of files that can fit on a floppy, I'm fairly confident that this will be compatible with the Haas controller. I was expecting to be able to load files larger than 1.44mb (3d toolpaths can get quite large).

I asked them if they would send me a sample or discounted test item, but no response. I don't think its worth $300 for me to discard my usb floppy just yet. In fact, I usually transfer files and DNC wirelessly via my ConnectBlue bluetooth to RS232 adapter I purchased on ebay for $50.

Hi Greg,

We are a legacy motherboard and component supplier to the CNC industry.

We finally received samples of the Floppy to USB drives.

These units configure a USB Media Drive to hold 100 virtual floppy disks. They virtual disks are toggled using the buttons on the right. I am working on the manual and spec sheet now but have tested both the single version and the multi version in the lab and they work great.

We have a limited quantity of samples but can send you one if you would like. The multi version (P/N FDDUSB3) is $149 and the single floppy version (P/N FDDUSB2) is $79. Please call me if you would like to discuss.

Thanks and Regards,

Tony Proia
    Electronic Solutions Associates
    803 Stevens Avenue
    Oldsmar, FL 34677
    +1 561.226.1309 v, +1 561.226.1312 f, www.esapcsolutions.com

Hi Guys
    We are having a solution for every Floppy to USB Conversions/ simulator. I have worked on Embroidery, Knitting , Misical Keyboards, CNC Machines etc.

for more detail pls mail me at [email protected] so that I can send you the related manual

The 100 unit model is for 90USD . We can discuss on bulk quantities.
    Regards
    Vishal.
    +91-9780485865

Hi
    Prices revised. 50USD per unit.
    for details please visit : floppytousb.net
    Regards
    Vishal.

At $50, I'll take a chance. I've got cases of brand-new floppies but, USB is certainly easier.

The website doesn't say how to order or how to pay. Are you shipping directly from India?
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    At $50, I'll take a chance. I've got cases of brand-new floppies but, USB is certainly easier.

The website doesn't say how to order or how to pay. Are you shipping directly from India?
    Greg,
    In the same boat, cases of quality floppies, however, I think they may go bad just setting there, you experiencing numerous defective floppies?

I have suspected a bad floppy drive since the get go on the Haas, have had way too many trips back to the PC to re-load files onto another floppy.

Ken

Ken,

Yeah, I've had the occasional bad floppy disk. It could actually be either end. I have a Sony brand external drive on the laptop that could just as much be to blame. How robust could a $25 mechanical computer accessory really be?

Greg
    Greg

Well, a floppy drive replacement from Haas aint $25 bucks

You ever tried and aftermarket in them, or know if they are a IBM compatible unit?

They sure look identical.

Hi Dear
    Sorry for the not providing information on website floppytousb.net about ordering. Will do as you suggest. Rest we are already shipping it to all over the world. You could just revert on my email id [email protected] or [email protected] . We have paypal account so the financial transaction is not an issue. The freight to USA via DHL express is 35USD. So in case you require pls mail.
    Regards
    Vishal.

Well dang, danged, dangit,
    DHL was here today with the Floppy to USB converter and I was not had to leave early.

Have the flash drive formatted with the software sent promptly.

Pretty good delivery, 4 days, ordered it like Saturday, Vishal said it would be shipped on Monday and it was.

Ken

I just installed a floppy converter last week on my 05' TM1. I got it out of mainland china from a bit of a non direct way. A friend over there noticed them being used in industrial sewing machine's. Anyway it works just like the the other guy is saying. It acts like 100 floppy's. Your USB stick must have your programs in the right files for the machine to find them. BUT it works flawlessly and now my acting up SONY 3.5" floppy is out of the machine forever!

Thinking I might bring in a box of these as my local HAAS reps say they will never work. Right, mine works great. Think I will have them out to see it "not working". Then ask them how many they want!

Mark
    2005 Haas TM-1, 4th HRT160 - OneCNC XR4 Pro w/4th - Alibre Design Expert
    Metal-tech 4x4 - www.metaltech4x4.com

Could you post some pictures of this unit installed and some more specs on it?
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea View Post
    Have the flash drive formatted with the software sent promptly.
    That right there is what is keeping me away from this solution. I don't want to trade a hardware problem for something that now requires a program to custom format a USB stick.

My floppy drives will still be working in 10 years (maybe not the original but, I can always find old stock). Will Windows 2020 still be compatible with the software necessary to format a USB stick?

Over the years I've had far more Windoze-related software and driver incompatiblity problems than hardware breakdowns.
    Greg

A bit paranoid aren't we Greg

Software is how anything on your PC works at all, does it really surprise you that the flash drive will need to be formatted the equivalent of a floppy disk.

There are no drivers or processes running and the software does not have to be installed, just run it, when done formatting or changing the block, shut it down, it's no longer needed.
    I think you may be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I hear what you're saying, Ken. Right now, nothing is broken on my machines so I'm not fixing it. I was really hoping there was some hack that made the USB behave as though it were larger. That, combined with the software required to format the USB stick makes it a lot less desirable to me.

The USB-RS232 device now sounds better to me. At least it will transfer and/or drip feed a much larger file. It might involve a few more button pushes but, it's all in firmware. That way I don't have to wait for Bill Gates to obsolete it because he decides to not support 32-bit software in the future.

They're both valid and desirable solutions. I guess this one wouldn't be my particular choice right now.

(and I'm ashamed to admit that I already have an 802.11G wireless solution that I haven't bothered to connect )
    Greg

You said it all really, when you said option.
    That's what it is and all it is.
    For my use, a very good one.
    If I had larger programs I would be looking into RS232, presently mine all fit on a floppy and load entirely into memory.

I believe I had more issues with the floppy then most, did ever since it was new, was very aggravating to say the least.

So it's good to be rid of that problem and well worth the $85.

Page 1 of 3 123