586,123 active members*
3,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Finally: a floppy drive to USB conversion for older machines
Page 2 of 3 123

Hi there all . You do not really even need to format it with software

Hi All
    No need to get worried over the software being required to format the usb into 100 blocks of 1.44 mb size. You can even achieve this by just plugging a Fresh new usb stick in front of the Emulator , As it displays 00 just format it thru tool ( if any ) in your haas machine , that you used to format a simple floppy disk. This will creat your 1st block and format it into 1.44mb capacity. After formatting your 1st block ,press right switch , now unit display 01 ( i,e 2nd block ) and start formatting again. In this way you can creat/format as many as you want upto 99

The software is basically required to do this job quickly using usb port rather in the tradition method using fdd channel as I mentioned above.

So , I think I atleast I am successful in closing the issue of software once for all.

Thanx
    In case of any morer queries , just keep me posted.
    Regards
    Vishal.

So any feedback from those that have been using this device? Specifically in a Haas mill?

Thanks

Steve

I installed one on a 2000 model VF2 about a year ago and it has worked flawlessly since. The swap was a simple operation. Highly recommended!

That is the exact machine we have. Who did you order from?

Thanks

Steve

I just bought one for my '02 TL-15. Got it from PLR electronics. Nice piece of hardware. All I did was unplug the old floppy drive and plug in the usb drive. No drivers or software. Works exactly like the floppy drive. Not better, not worse, not faster or slower. Files can't be larger than 1.44 mb though.

Double-A-Ron,

Your comment sort of decided for me. I see the benefits, but I think I'll hold off for now. If it is no faster than a floppy, and the files can't be larger than 1.44 then I will stick with floppies. We drip feed most everything anyway, so the occasional floppy is tolerable. When my floppy drive fails, I will probably replace it with one of these though.

Thanks for the insight.

Steve

I would suggest you buy it. I have had nothing but trouble with those cheap Chinese usb floppy drives you get at comp usa for $20. I was going through one every couple months. Also comp usa said they were going to be discontinuing all floppy stuff in the coming year.

I see your point, and it's on the list, just that there are more important things to do before I get to that.

I used a floppy to transfer four programs yesterday, and it was probably the first time in two or three weeks. Like I said, I don't use them very often. Also, I got about 50 free new 1.44 disks, so as long as the drives hold out I am set.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by double a-ron View Post
    I just bought one for my '02 TL-15. Got it from PLR electronics. Nice piece of hardware. All I did was unplug the old floppy drive and plug in the usb drive. No drivers or software. Works exactly like the floppy drive. Not better, not worse, not faster or slower. Files can't be larger than 1.44 mb though.
    So you didn't have to use any software on your computer either (to create the little partitions)? One of these pieces of hardware required it.
    Greg

I bought two of these from Laser Motion Inc to test here at the factory. So far it works great. Plug and play all the way, no software/driver required at all, ever. It uses up to 100 numbered folders that each hold 1.44MB. There are 100 folders, for a total storage capacity of 1.44GB. It uses any USB key, but it only comes with two 250MB flash drives that are formatted in FAT. I will be doing a lot more testing including endurance and compatibility tests.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Biggest issue I have had is the software. We run windows 7 x64 and it wont work correctly on that. What I did was buy 2 drives. One for the CNC and one for the PC. Formatted the usb on a windows XP box and now I can cycle through the folders on the PC as well. I wish there was a software version for windows 7 x64.

I run Win 7 x64 as well, no issues.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Quote Originally Posted by KenFoulks View Post
    no software/driver required at all, ever. It uses up to 100 numbered folders that each hold 1.44MB.
    Quote Originally Posted by KenFoulks View Post
    I run Win 7 x64 as well, no issues.
    This is where I'm still confused: either it needs software that formats the USB sticks or not. I think you're talking about 'drivers' for the Haas (it doesn't need any such thing--that makes sense).

The formatting software is the sole problem I have with it. If a newer version of Windows doesn't like the formatting software, the drive becomes worthless (assuming the original USB stick is lost, damaged, etc).
    Greg

No problem, you are referring to file system dilemma. (NTFS vs. FAT)

Once you have a flash drive with no important info on it, right-click on that drive (E: or F: usually) in My Computer. Select Format and change the File System to FAT32 or FAT, then hit start.

If these selections are not available, there are programs that can override the limitations of Windows. These programs can format any size drive into FAT32, which is the "Haas-Accepted" format.

One such program is SwissKnife:

Download SwissKnife 3.22 Free - SwissKnife - create/format partitions in your hard drive - Softpedia
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

The drive I have doesn't use folders. Mine partitions the usb drive into 100 1.4meg partitions. The software sets the active partition. Windows will only access the active partition.

Mine didn't come with a usb stick. In fact, I am still using the same Haas usb stick that I got with my mill in '08.

I don't know what your drives are doing with these files, but this is how I get a program from my computer to the lathe. I simply put any old usb thumb drive into any old usb port on my computer, put the file on the thumb drive, walk over to the lathe, put the thumb drive into the lathe and pull the file off the thumb drive the same way you would have done if it were a floppy. That simple. No software, no drivers, no special usb sticks.

Now for some extra coin they sell some other cool stuff that alows you to network your computer to the drive. Even with 3d surfacing and part handoffs I haven't ever needed more than 1.44 mb of space for lathe. For a mill I could see needing it though. Check out their SITE and decide for yourself. I love mine. Fcuk floppy discs.

When you say you are using the usb stick you got with your 08 machine...you dont mean you are using the one with your parameters on it, do you?

Not at all. I mean the cheap swag they give you when your going through the buying process. I also got a hat, a stainless coffee mug, and a t-shirt. The mug and thumb drive are the only things that held up over the last 3 years. In fact they've given me fewer problems then the mill has.

We have a unit and it works with any window's operating system including windows 7 and holds the memory of 100 floppys on one stick with no software setup and no problems, plug and play.

the missing point

Hi All!

The real problem is not that floppy is slow. Here in the lab, experiments last longer to worry about the slow floppy and you can use a computer to copy the data to your pendrive for taking home. The real solution were when you have your own pendrive, insert it to the machne, get the data and go home. Now that would be an improvement! With the device here - if I understand right - you can only use a dedicated pendrive formatted and prepared to use with the machine and after that you need to go the another computer and copy the data to my own pendrive. That is exactly the same as with the floppy...

So from my point of view is just plain eye-wash. But I definitely buy one of the product that solve my problem.

Page 2 of 3 123