586,111 active members*
3,286 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Canadian Source for MiniLathe other than Busy Bee

Canadian Source for MiniLathe other than Busy Bee

Having made up my mind to buy a 7 X series lathe, I am now forced to chose from where.
    Busy Bee has a 7 X 8 (!) for 645 CAD plus shipping. With the conversion that leaves $180 USD to pay for any extra shipping and customs fees that I would incur if I order from the USA. Not to mention that I would prefer a 10 or 12" model.
    Does anyone have any experience getting one of these machines into Canada, or have a better source than Busy Bee?
    Thanks
    colin

What is the price from Busy Bee Canada? They were advertising their 10"x18" on sale for $999.00CAN.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The 10 X 18 is now 1099 and the 7 X 8 is 645CAD.
    The 10 X 18 is just too big for my shop and needs at the moment. I would prefer a 7 X 10 or 12 over the 7 X 8. I doubt I will ever need more than 8" but I would like the extra space to add steppers or servos and not feel cramped while working.
    Oh, and I would like a metric version if possible.
    colin

'House of Tools' have a 7 x almost 12 but the price is a bit higher. Look at....

http://www.houseoftools.com/product.htm?pid=18461

It looks like it has DROs on the cross slide and compound slide which could explain the extra cost.

Larry

That looks nice, I have seen it somewhere else too. Much more than I want to spend at the moment though. I will be CNC'ing the lathe I buy, so the DRO's are not necessary either.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to keep looking. I believe that I will get nailed a 5 dollar customs fee and then the PST and GST on top of that, so it looks like I will be buying from the US if I dont find something pretty soon.
    And hey, ever notice that there are very few of these things on Ebay?!
    Considering the availability of some things, you would think that we are in the dark ages here in Canada. Now if you will excuse me I have to go feed the sled dogs and stoke the steam generator.
    colin

Look at king Tools.http://www.kingcanada.com/

Thanks DSL
    I called them and one of their dealers....7 X 12 for $1315 CAD! plus any shipping and taxes.
    What a joke this is turning out to be, I am truly dissapointed that this machine is not available in Canada at a reasonable price.
    I will keep looking, Homier is out of stock at the moment, going to do more research and start to assemble my order.
    colin

Try several dealers, it may be worth the time.

Well, the 7 X 12 they had has a couple different features than the US models, but certainly not enough to make me pay an extra 800 bucks! I doubt that any of the dealers will have a much better price. I mean 369 USD to 1300 CAD? The guy was telling me that 369 USD was well below his cost from King. I will keep looking though.
    There must be a reasonable source around.
    Cant they see I want to spend my money??
    colin

Still expensive at C$999, but that is Kings own list price on their
    fall and winter sales flier.

I guess they figure they have the market cornered, and it almost seems as though they do. I cant find anyone else who sells this machine in Canada.
    I am going to contact busy bee and tell them my situation. I would much rather not deal with customs and cross border shipping on this. I will just put the ball in their court, sale or no sale, their choice.
    Real bummer,
    Colin

Not sure where in Canada you're located (in the Yukon, perhaps?). I'm in Winnipeg, only 60 miles from the US border, and I drove down to North Dakota to meet up with a Homier traveling show. Bought their lathe for $299 US (and got my ND sales tax back!). Paid duty and taxes at the border, since I only went over for the day.

About a month ago, I bought a Micro Mill from Harbor Freight. Ordered it over the Internet, and had it shipped to a parcel service in North Dakota. When it arrived, I drove down and picked it up. Also ordered some other tooling from HF. It was definitely worth the drive. HF ships free in the US for > $50 orders.

I have bought some Busy Bee metalworking tooling, on sale.

Actually now on the Sunshine coast, a short ferry ride from Vancouver. Might be worth it to go down to Bellingham and pick one up.
    I will look into the parcel service thing. Thanks for the heads up.
    Colin

I also bought my lathe from HF, had it shipped to a relative in the states and drove to pick it up. No duty on the lathe. Had to pay the GST only. Look at HF for a retail dealer in the states near you and pick one up.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

I know this thread is pretty old now. But KMS tools here in Kamloops haves a 5 by 12 inch lathe for 499.99. I have been thinking of purchasing this lathe this month. Take a look for yourself

http://www.kmstools.com/main.php?flyer/index.htm@4

Colin

Yukonho. How are you making out?? Did you go to Busy Bee after all?
    I went and looked at what they had in stock and I think I might be getting the 10X18. Still undesided.............

Had to put the purchase off for a bit. Actually started looking again today. Will probably end up going across the border in the end.
    Colin