586,106 active members*
3,171 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Need help in selecting CNC bench top machines.

Question Need help in selecting CNC bench top machines.

Hello,

I am planning to buy a CNC mill and a CNC lathe. I will be working mostly with aluminum and plastics, fabricating parts for RC models. My need is not for production quantities, just some fairly complex parts that not available from commercial sources.

All of my designs are originals, and designed in Solid Edge ST. I have access to, but so far didn’t have a reason to use NX-CAM. The two machines I am looking for would be of the small bench top variety. I am looking mainly for accuracy, and versatility.

Thank you for your advice.

Ed

Smile First thing everyone will ask...

Hi Ed,

The first thing you'll get asked is what's your budget? That will pretty much determine which machines the nice people here will point you towards.

If you are going to cut a lot of small detailed parts in aluminum and plastic, you'll want a high speed spindle - it saves a LOT of pain...

Best regards,

Jason.

CNC equipmwnt budget

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your reply. My sole purpose for the machines is convenience of having them available when I need them. I have full access to HAAS VF4, HAAS TL2, and a Precix CNC 5’ x 10’ router. However, these machines are production machines, so my projects are always last to see the vice. My business partner, an excellent machinist, is way too busy producing revenue generating parts.

Since I am not a machinist, even though I had a decent exposure to manual metal and woodworking machinery, I am hesitant to use our production equipment to do my work. I can’t see myself taking the risk of taking one of the machines off line.

My primary revenue generating job is a contract design work. The machines I am planning to buy will be purchased as personal use equipment only, funded from my own pocket, so the price must reflect some sensitivity to this. In my life-long quest to learn new stuff, I fully expect that the transition from manual to CNC machining, even with a liberal help from my partner, will present some challenges.

Here are my criteria in order of importance.

1-Precision
    2-Replacement parts availability
    3-Software maintenance
    4-Support
    5-Price

If I could afford only one machine at this time, my decision would be a mill.

Thanks,

Ed

I have a Minitech which I like very much. It was expensive but I think that I will spend enough time with it that it will be worth it for me. I upgraded from a Sherline with A2ZCNC X and Y axes extensions. I got a lot done with the Shereline mill but was frustrated by the Sherline Z axis. If I had it to do over I would have gone directly to the Minitech. If that was not possible, I think I would have gone with the Taig mill. Just my 2 cents. BTW, I am making small parts (and decorative stuff) from aluminum, brass, plastic, and resinated wood which sounds similar to what you want to do.

I'll give the Taig my vote of approval. Nice little machine for the money. I enjoy my Taig and feel it is a good match for small parts.

Regards,

Chuck

If $8-14k is within your budget you might consider a Tormach. The upper end of that range would include a Duality lathe, which is an import lathe that sits on the mill table.

Mike

Smile Benchtop CNC

Thank you all.

Your suggestions are appreciated. At least I have now something to go on. I have looked at all the suggested machines.

I now have to do some soul-searching, and see which of the machines would serve my requirements best. I really like the Minitech and the Tormach. The Taig, after seing the above two mentioned, while very nice, is on a small side. I do have a budget to go for a larger mill.

Thanks again,

Ed

Hi Ed,

My company builds CNC machines, so I always have to get in my 2 cents worth...! Just my thoughts here - feel free to take no notice

From what you've said it sounds to me like the Minitech is the way to go. The Tormach is a nice machine, but with it's slow spindle and sliding ways as opposed to the linear bearings and high speed spindle of the Minitech, I think that for your purpose the Minitech or similar would be more accurate. Consider too that if you are likely to be using 1/4" and smaller cutters, with a high speed spindle it would actually be faster too. Add the fact you have the VF4 at work, and to me the choice would be clear. You also have the option to implement auto tool change relatively easily on a Minitech.

If I were in your situation my choice would be a Minitech Mini-mill 3 or 4 base, with at least a 40-50 Krpm spindle (NSK, Precise or Kavo) with pneumatic tool change, and 350 watt minimum. My only criticism of the Minitechs would be the 1250 mm/min feedrate - I'd run brushless servos instead of steppers, I would look for 5,000 - 7500 mm/min, and control it with Mach3, nothing proprietary.

Good luck with your selection!

Best regards,

Jason

I think the Minitech and Tormach are totally different machines, intended for different purposes. If you can't decide which one is best suited to your needs then I think you haven't properly defined your needs.

However price for price you would be comparing the Mini-Mill 2 with the Tormach. At this price level the Mintech doesn't stand up well against the Tormach, even for producing small parts. It has acme lead screws, a 3,500 spindle speed, 40 ipm with steppers which is not very high spec for such a small machine/price point. It weighs in at 30 kgs versus 500 kgs for the Tormach. Also the table size and travels are much smaller and the spindle speed is lower. I'm having trouble see any plus points for this model against the Tormach, other than you could store it in a cupboard when not in use.

Just some thoughts
    Phil

Hi Phil,
    You are right on both accounts. Firstly, I have not fully defined my needs as yet, and secondly, I agree that the Tormach is a much more robust machine. I do like the enclosure and the coolant collection system as well. The spindle speed is important, and the machine mass can be a definite contributor to accuracy.

Here is my problem. The workshop the machine will live in has a wooden floor with a crawl space under it. To put the machine there, I would have to reinforce the floor. Very likely I would have to remove a part of it, and pour a concrete where the machine would be placed. An alternative would be to build an addition to the existing shop with a concrete floor. Now this would be nice, but clearly more expensive.

The parts I will be making are small, and in limited quantities. As I said in my intro, I have a business partner with HAAS-VF4, so larger items, or production is not an issue.

Thanks for your comment,

Ed