I'm using a Tormach PCNC mill and most of the parts that I'm cutting these days are from 6"x8"x 1/2" 6061 plate. I've been clamping them directly to the table with a sacrificial piece underneath but it seems a bit crude and slow for runs of 5-10 parts. For the past year I've been looking for an affortable piece of tooling plate and finally found a 12"x12"x3/4" piece at the scrap yard for $10.00.

Are there any things I should consider when I'm designing this? I was planning on counterboring some holes to attach it to the table. Drilling and tapping a grid of holes 1" on center for #12-24 cap screws. Flycutting the surface. Then adding some plexiglass sides to make a mini-enclosure for cutting w/ flood cooling. I'm not sure which clamping strategy will work best yet. At first I'll either put screws through predrilled holes in the part or make some small strap clamps. Mitee-Bite hex clamps and toe clamps look interesting but are a bit pricey and they don't come it 12-24 only 10-32 and 1/4-20 which seem a bit small and a bit large respectivly. Toggle clamps seem like they might be handy if I'm doing light cuts. Overall I'm looking for a quicker, more repeatable way to hold the stock so I can mill the internal features and then cut the profile all in one setup. I've tried double sided tape but it can only withstand very light cuts and it doesn't like coolant.

I've seen some tooling plates that alternate the threaded holes w/ dowel pin holes. Some tooling plates have a grid of small coolant channels bit I don't see how they can be very effective. Are there any other features that might be usefull?